snowmaggedon starts

matty40s

Featured Posts

-5C here first thing this morning, -1C now, and CRT contractors are out strimming the grass (or strimming off the frost).

I kid you not.

Edit - I was told they were cutting the grass, but the evidence on the ground is of some hedge trimming.

Tim

can you ask them to gravel/chip/part pave the stop lock area while at it, its one of the muddiest locks around?

can you ask them to gravel/chip/part pave the stop lock area while at it, its one of the muddiest locks around?

The lock isn't too bad, it's the towpath immediately beyond which is really muddy.

Actually there's probably a hard surface under the grass and mud on the lockside (towpath side of the lock), some of it is actually concrete and brick from the old toll office, it's just years of accumulated leaf litter with grass growing in it, AFAIAA.

Tim

The lock isn't too bad, it's the towpath immediately beyond which is really muddy.

Actually there's probably a hard surface under the grass and mud on the lockside (towpath side of the lock), some of it is actually concrete and brick from the old toll office, it's just years of accumulated leaf litter with grass growing in it, AFAIAA.

Tim

It will soon be permafrost anyway with the weather heading where it could do over the next week.

Friday blizzards, continuing into saturday and then saturday night low low temps. Followed by more snow Sunday and Monday.

When I lived in France, in a mountain area, many of the cars changed to their "pneus cloutes" (literally nailed tyres) in winter. These were studded and, when in motion, made a machine-gun like sound which was startling until you got used to it. Have they ever been legal in Britain? They can't have done the road surfaces much good on stretches where there was no snow or ice on the road.

Foxes Marina this morning (Facing east), It was a very cold walk to the station and even colder coming back to night. Taxis round here tend to only work 9 to 5.

dscf0124g.jpg

Foxes access road, That's frost not snow. It dropped to -12 last night.

dscf0120vn.jpg

(Facing west)

dscf0119j.jpg

Here in the Fens it was supposed to be overcast and misty all day. In fact, as Mrs. Athy and I drove from March to Upwell along the bank of the 16-Foot, the glorious bright sunshine on the silvery trees created a quite magically beautiful effect which I have rarely seen equalled on Christmas card photos. It stayed sunny until at least 3p.m. (at which time the BBC forecast said that the sun would come out) and then went cloudy and misty again! It's been still and crisp, very pleasant if one was warmly clad, which one was.

Tomorrow threatens fairly strong wind and light snow, so goodness knows what we shall actually get.

Edited by Athy

Here on the macc, near to peak forest its looked like its been looming all day but not started yet. The forecast is for 35-40MPH winds from later though with heavy snow which will least most of tomorrow. Bit nervous about it! Got to go out tomorrow!! Apparently its going to be around 12/13cm of snow here!

How international you are LEE, quoting wind speeds in Proper British and snow depths in Furrin.

Mind you, translate that wind speed into Furrin and it sounds bloody frightening: about 65 kph at a rough calculation.

Stay safe!

Here on the macc, near to peak forest its looked like its been looming all day but not started yet. The forecast is for 35-40MPH winds from later though with heavy snow which will least most of tomorrow. Bit nervous about it! Got to go out tomorrow!! Apparently its going to be around 12/13cm of snow here!

They say BLIZZARD conditions are on the way..........

They say BLIZZARD conditions are on the way..........

Are you sure that wasn't BIZZARD?

The forecast for the NorthWest has been ameliorated considerably from what they were saying first thing this morning.

Just a light dusting here at the moment.

Tim

How international you are LEE, quoting wind speeds in Proper British and snow depths in Furrin.

Mind you, translate that wind speed into Furrin and it sounds bloody frightening: about 65 kph at a rough calculation.

Stay safe!

I wanted to quote snowfall in inches but the forecast gave it in CM and and I'm not too sure how many inches are in 12/13cm! :lol::captain::banghead: