snowmaggedon starts

matty40s

Featured Posts

I'm open to correction Wriggly but when we once made a complaint to the local comp. about the conduct of the local kids as the passed our offices - (foul language and generally being unruly in our grounds) the head told us a school can't be held responsible for the conduct of the kids as they make there way to and from school.

It has to be investigated by the school in certain circumstances. In this case where the action is viewed as bullying or violent or criminal behaviour. Even if I simply ring the parents up and say your child has been out of order, I'm looking at a ten-twenty minute conversation - there are about 15 - 20 boys involved in one of the incidents and it involves a car in a ditch. Needless to say, the Authorities are involved so that's more time in investigation, statement gathering etc, etc...

So lunchtime it started properly snowing...didn't notice as we have no Windows at the workshop, till I got a text from t'other half. I gave myself a poets day after one look out into the farmyard! Glad I did!

Sad sight of the day...a foxes body lying under the canal ice. :(

Just arrived in Lincoln. Journey has taken us about half an hour longer than usual which was mostly getting out of Sheffield.

Roads were hit and miss. Some stretches were clear others were passable with care. Got the usual mix of motorists those who think they are invincible and plough on at silly speeds and those who are terrified drive really slowly and then cause chaos when they get stuck on hills.

Anyway. Have just cracked open the first can and can now relax and enjoy the weekend. The lake is frozen so we won't be going anywhere but NC is floating in her own self made defrosted patch. Think the heaters might be a bit high! On second thoughts now they are not. The boat is lovely and warm.

Just arrived in Lincoln. Journey has taken us about half an hour longer than usual which was mostly getting out of Sheffield.

Roads were hit and miss. Some stretches were clear others were passable with care. Got the usual mix of motorists those who think they are invincible and plough on at silly speeds and those who are terrified drive really slowly and then cause chaos when they get stuck on hills.

Anyway. Have just cracked open the first can and can now relax and enjoy the weekend. The lake is frozen so we won't be going anywhere but NC is floating in her own self made defrosted patch. Think the heaters might be a bit high! On second thoughts now they are not. The boat is lovely and warm.

Just finished work. Great fun driving 32ton truck down backlanes and farm tracks. All milk collected without drama, but the the Volvo FM12 is a suprb tool for the job. The Scanias are crap. The often struggle for grip on the level, in the dry.

Not sure what all the fuss is about

Just finished work. Great fun driving 32ton truck down backlanes and farm tracks. All milk collected without drama, but the the Volvo FM12 is a suprb tool for the job. The Scanias are crap. The often struggle for grip on the level, in the dry.

When we lived in Buxton, which gets a lot of snow, we always reckoned that Volvos were the best cars to have, followed very closely by Saabs. Not realy surprising considering the weatether they get in Sweeden.

Edited by David Schweizer

When we lived in Buxton, which gets a lot of snow, we always reckoned that Volvos were the best cars to have, followed very closely by Saabs. Not realy surprising considering the weatether they get in Sweeden.

I had a flat in Buxton too for a few years. Snow more than most places!

Of all the cars I have owned - including volvos - my best in snow was a 2CV. Incredible traction - can't decide if it was the thin tyres, the size of the wheels, front wheel drive or the amazing suspension. But it never got stuck - amazing car!

Of all the cars I have owned - including volvos - my best in snow was a 2CV. Incredible traction - can't decide if it was the thin tyres, the size of the wheels, front wheel drive or the amazing suspension. But it never got stuck - amazing car!

Combination of these - the thin tyres 'dig' in to the snow rather than skiing over the top like big wide modern low profiles do (ask any BMW X5 driver) and front wheel drive is a good combination.

Our Mk1 fiesta was the same. Like a bloody mountain goat in the snow.

That said new Datsun is proving to be quite agile in the snow as well. Didn't put a foot wrong yesterday in the whole 50 mile journey.

The Mercedes Actros is by far the worst in snow, especially the automatics, and the Volvo FH's were too 'wobbly' in icy conditions for my liking especially when empty.

That said new Datsun is proving to be quite agile in the snow as well. Didn't put a foot wrong yesterday in the whole 50 mile journey.

Shurely shome mishtake here? The Datsun name was dropped in the 1980s. I think it's used by its owners Nissan for some budget cars sold in the emergent nations.

Ah, perhaps the Republic Of South Yorkshire qualifies as an emergent nation?

Probably something to do with it's heritage. The 2CV was originally introduced as a small inexpensive general purpose vehicle that could be used on small farms in France, which probably explains why they were devoid of almost any accessories (or comfort!).

Edited by David Schweizer

Shurely shome mishtake here? The Datsun name was dropped in the 1980s. I think it's used by its owners Nissan for some budget cars sold in the emergent nations.

Ah, perhaps the Republic Of South Yorkshire qualifies as an emergent nation?

Ha ha.

We always called our previous car (1991 nissan sunny) the Datsun so when we bought the current car (2006 nissan almera) the name just stuck. New Datsun and old Datsun.

Bought old Datsun for £50 when we needed another car from a local car dealer. Ran it for seven years with no bother added 100k to the clock then sold it for £200. The bloody thing is still running now!

New Datsun we bought as we thought old Datsun was getting a bit long in tooth ( how wrong can one be). We chose it on the back of old datsuns reliability. It is proving to be just as trouble free. We have done just under 90k miles in this one again trouble free.

Trouble we have now is nissan don't make a suitable replacement for us so will have to find something else next. Although that said I might go older and get a pulsar gti r.

Trouble we have now is nissan don't make a suitable replacement for us so will have to find something else next. Although that said I might go older and get a pulsar gti r.

It's strange isn't it - there seems to be nothing in that sector from them any more - they seem to jump from the Micra/Note up to the very silly looking Juke and then the Qashqai which is a bit too 4x4 looking.

the very silly looking Juke

It is isn't it? The best thing about it is its name, one expects to hear blues music booming out of the stereo when one drives by.

the Qashqai which is a bit too 4x4 looking.

Er, isn't that because it IS a four-wheel drive?

Rachel, thanks for the "Datsun" explanation. Maybe next time you should get an Audi and call it Auto-Union, or a Jag and call it SS! Or you could go sporty and get a Morris Garages.

Er, isn't that because it IS a four-wheel drive?

No - that is a common misconception because of how it looks.

You can get a 4x4 version but in standard form it's front wheel drive only.

According to Wiki This is what has replaced the Almera in other markets - but not the UK yet.

Nissan Tiida

800px-Nissan_Tiida_C11_003.JPG

Quite correct Mr Dog House! Very few 4x4 Jukes or Quashqai's about!

And I agree with Naughty Cal. I had a diesel Fiesta and it went anywhere a Shogun went - until the snow got as deep as the floor!

Skinny tyres, heavy engine over the driven wheels, not much power - and obviously me controlling it! A winning combination! :cheers:

Today, Mrs W has just taken her 12 plate Alfa out and it hasnt struggled at all! All the men of the street are out digging and pushing, but she has just driven away!

(I have done that digging and pushing on my own for the last 20 years without these neighbours help, so now I have a big 4x4 pickup and no need for diggng and pushing :P , they can take their turn - I will watch out of my window, like they used to do while I was freezing by bollox off! :angry: )

Often people think 4X4's are the answer to driving in snow but with big fat low profile tyres, auto gearboxes and traction control systems you mights as well walk it.

BMW x5

Most capable car I had in snow was a 'low tech' Land Rover 300tdi Discovery.

Edited by The Dog House

Yes, very much like what I was viewing six miles further East! Thanks for posting the photo.

PS shurely "Red sky at dawnING, sailors' warning"? Rhymes, see.

Correction Red sky in the morning, Shepherds warning

No - that is a common misconception because of how it looks.

You can get a 4x4 version but in standard form it's front wheel drive only.

According to Wiki This is what has replaced the Almera in other markets - but not the UK yet.

Nissan Tiida

800px-Nissan_Tiida_C11_003.JPG

Hmm maybe not!

Current almera isn't a stunner but that is down right ugly.

Often people think 4X4's are the answer to driving in snow but with big fat low profile tyres, auto gearboxes and traction control systems you mights as well walk it.

BMW x5

Most capable car I had in snow was a 'low tech' Land Rover 300tdi Discovery.

Turn the engine off and use your starter motor for a few yards to get out of trouble. Swedish tip.