snowmaggedon starts

matty40s

Featured Posts

It was quite odd in Sheffield yesterday. As you say, 3-ish it started with a something and nothing kind of odd flake here and there. 16:00 got up to go home, still the same. By the time I got from floor 5 to the ground it were proper snow.

The roads were clear of snow, but for some inexplicable reason it took about 20 minutes from Forgemasters to Meadowhall to find absolutely nothing that might have caused it.

I think everyone was sticking to the main roads. We went through the back streets and got home quicker than usual. Roads were fine. Same this morning peristone road was very busy so we turned off to find clear roads.

Just started snowing again in nether edge.

Avoid their sausages at all costs. :)

No sausage this weekend.

Just outside Nantwich. We've had about two inches of snow. Primary school sent everyone home an hour ago and, of course, it has now stopped and the roads are clear.

Talking to a friend last night, neither of us could remember schools being closed when we were at school, even in the 1962/3 winter.

Just outside Nantwich. We've had about two inches of snow. Primary school sent everyone home an hour ago and, of course, it has now stopped and the roads are clear.

Talking to a friend last night, neither of us could remember schools being closed when we were at school, even in the 1962/3 winter.

Yes, I was brought up in Northumberland and the ONLY time the school closed was one day in the 60's when the A69 west towards Hexham had all closed - we had to be bussed into Newcastle and get a train from there.

Just checked the depth of snow on the garden table - exactly 3.5 inches and still snowing. Hardly any traffic - and not a sign of snow ploughs, gritters etc. It seems that people just stay home now. Why? Roads used to be kept passable in deeper / worse snow than this; in the 70's and 80's my job meant I had to drive 40 to 50 miles most days around Sussex and we had some really bad winters. No days off work though!

Sending us home was NEVER on the agenda.

I went to school in Oldham, and caught the bus home to Ashton, a route that went down a nasty dip at Bardsley to the Fairbottom Branch Canal [bonus points for canal reference in story?].

On one particular day, the snow came thick and fast, and the bus driver got to Hathershaw before declaring that he wasn't going anywhere.

Solid two mile walk through a blizzard to find a bus that had turned back on the other side, and the bugger made us pay again.

Tell 'em today etc. etc.

Yes, I was brought up in Northumberland and the ONLY time the school closed was one day in the 60's when the A69 west towards Hexham had all closed - we had to be bussed into Newcastle and get a train from there.

Just checked the depth of snow on the garden table - exactly 3.5 inches and still snowing. Hardly any traffic - and not a sign of snow ploughs, gritters etc. It seems that people just stay home now. Why? Roads used to be kept passable in deeper / worse snow than this; in the 70's and 80's my job meant I had to drive 40 to 50 miles most days around Sussex and we had some really bad winters. No days off work though!

I agree, we lived in North Derbyshire for four years in the 1970's, and routinely got several feet of snow in one go. I cannot remember ever not being able to get to work, the ploughs and gritters would work through the night to keep the roads clear.

Even in 1979 whe we had four or five feet of snow in one day, the Highways people and the Police got us through Taddington Dale where it had drifted to nearly twelve feet deep. Mind you that was after I had been turned back at Hartington where two Snow ploughs had been lost in the drifts, and had to re-route through Ashbourne and Derby!

We now live in Wiltshire where three inches of snow is an excuse for a day off. Some years ago I drove fifteen miles to my office through Bath and into Keynsham, to discover that I had to unlock the building because the staff who lived less than a mile away "could not get into work!" only one other person made it that day, and he had travelled ten miles from snow bound Somerset.

We now live in Wiltshire where three inches of snow is an excuse for a day off. Some years ago I drove fifteen miles to my office through Bath and into Keynsham, to discover that I had to unlock the building because the staff who lived less than a mile away "could not get into work!" only one other person made it that day, and he had travelled ten miles from snow bound Somerset.

In the 15 years that I commuted from Manchester to Chesterfield, I missed two work days due to snow. Colleagues who lived in Wingerworth missed at least a week a year.

However, Mondays and Fridays are now Work from Home days all the time, so unless its still snowing on Tuesday, "I'm alright Jack"

on the cheshire/wirral border it's been snowing since early hours but was probably at its worst between 9-11am. It is still snowing now but flakes are getting much smaller and much lighter too, it was blizzard like before. In North wales where i was due to go to work in a school this morning most schools were closed. In wirral now many schools closed at lunchtime. I dont know why the country seems to come to a stop now with the snow, but i am glad i dont have to go anywhere, my road hasnt been gritted at all.

I feel for those who have to work outdoors though.

About 11:30 am:-

Duttonsnow-1_zps16238de7.jpg

It's stopped snowing now, we have a bit over 3" of lying snow.

Tim

Pretty! I love snowy scenes!

Went to work this morning at 8am and there was a little bit of snow lying around. During the next 2 hours about 4 inches of the stuff fell out of the sky! At 10.30 the announcement came that we could all go home. I did feel sorry for the lorry driver that arrived as all the staff cars were leaving - he'd battled to get there and I bet there was no one left to receive the goods!

The roads were carnage - cars pirouetting all over the place and getting stuck on hills that weren't particularly steep. We saw one car come out of a side turning on a slight downward slope who couldn't stop - he went straight across the road and hit the kerb, badly frightening a pedestrian who was right in the line of fire if he'd have mounted the pavement!

It took us nearly 2 hours to drive the normal 15 minutes back to the boat, most of that time sat in a line of cars at the bottom of a hill watching those before us struggle and weave to get to the top.

We were planning to drive to Coventry tomorrow to visit my brother but I've already called that off. We have enough food for the weekend and a pub nearby so we're going nowhere until Monday!

We were never sent home from school although most mums in those days were housewives so it wouldn't have been a problem and it was also warmer at school than at home. Most folk had big red faces and all red legs with hanging over their fires.

My dads old car like all budget priced prewar and just postwar cars, a ''Standard Flying Ten'' that only ever flew when passing over a particular very sharp hump backed bridge at 25mph, had no heaters at all as indeed nor did my first old cars, 1936 Fraud Y type, E93A Pops, Standard Flying 8 ect, there were recirculatery heater kits for some of these old cars but not many folk bothered with them. On a long run in freezing conditions we'd place a lighted picnic Primus stove on the floor for a bit of heating. Windscreen ice and demisting was also fun, you sometimes travelled your whole journey by keep pressing the palm of your hand on the screen at eye level to melt a little hole to peep through. Most drove with the window open all the time to enable hand signals. Their low powered engines allowed them to ease away from a standstill in snow and ice easier than todays cars, they're old cross-ply tyres also steered steered a bit better in snow than radials due to they're sharp wall to tread angle 'they'd dig in'. Most of these old budget cars had 6volt electrics too with headlights that emitted a rather nice pleasant yellow glow from their tarnished reflectors at night, though you only ever used them on totally unlit roads.

It was quite rare for folk not to get to work however bad the weather.

Motoring was always an adventure and no mobile phones to cry for help of course either.

Folk these days aren't appreciative of how easy and cozy they've got it. :mellow:

• Greenie 1

We were never sent home from school although most mums in those days were housewives so it wouldn't have been a problem and it was also warmer at school than at home. Most folk had big red faces and all red legs with hanging over their fires.

My dads old car like all budget priced prewar and just postwar cars, a ''Standard Flying Ten'' that only ever flew when passing over a particular very sharp hump backed bridge at 25mph, had no heaters at all as indeed nor did my first old cars, 1936 Fraud Y type, E93A Pops, Standard Flying 8 ect, there were recirculatery heater kits for some of these old cars but not many folk bothered with them. On a long run in freezing conditions we'd place a lighted picnic Primus stove on the floor for a bit of heating. Windscreen ice and demisting was also fun, you sometimes travelled your whole journey by keep pressing the palm of your hand on the screen at eye level to melt a little hole to peep through. Most drove with the window open all the time to enable hand signals. Their low powered engines allowed them to ease away from a standstill in snow and ice easier than todays cars, they're old cross-ply tyres also steered steered a bit better in snow than radials due to they're sharp wall to tread angle 'they'd dig in'. Most of these old budget cars had 6volt electrics too with headlights that emitted a rather nice pleasant yellow glow from their tarnished reflectors at night, though you only ever used them on totally unlit roads.

Motoring was always an adventure and no mobile phones to cry for help of course either.

Folk these days aren't appreciative of how easy and cozy they've got it. :mellow:

Your descriptions take me back to some of my early motoring days, particularly my old 1951 Riley RM which theoreticly had a heater, but only produced a stream of cold air in sub zero temperatures, so was never used.

Your descriptions take me back to some of my early motoring days, particularly my old 1951 Riley RM which theoreticly had a heater, but only produced a stream of cold air in sub zero temperatures, so was never used.

I often see a Riley RM in black and cream around here. Heaters never really became powerful until the Ford 100E came out and then the Mk1 Cortina had a blaster that had 5/8'' heater hoses when others still used 1/2'', that caused other car makers to improve theirs.

Even Jaguar Mk11 and S types had very poor heaters right up until the late 60's.

The problem is that schools get routinely sued if the precious offspring get injured. I have three parental complaints about snowballs on the way to school and a broken pair of glasses to deal with already today and one of those is threatening solicitors. Even just dealing with the complaints costs money, let alone if they progress to solicitors and the like. So really, don't marvel at schools sending kids home with the accompanying chaos but rather look at the way the compensation culture has developed and how we've become complicit in it.

In the words of the immortal Shakespeare (and Suett) 'where there's a pain; there's a claim'.

The problem is that schools get routinely sued if the precious offspring get injured. I have three parental complaints about snowballs on the way to school and a broken pair of glasses to deal with already today and one of those is threatening solicitors. Even just dealing with the complaints costs money, let alone if they progress to solicitors and the like. So really, don't marvel at schools sending kids home with the accompanying chaos but rather look at the way the compensation culture has developed and how we've become complicit in it.

In the words of the immortal Shakespeare (and Suett) 'where there's a pain; there's a claim'.

I'm open to correction Wriggly but when we once made a complaint to the local comp. about the conduct of the local kids as the passed our offices - (foul language and generally being unruly in our grounds) the head told us a school can't be held responsible for the conduct of the kids as they make there way to and from school.

Aye - My first car was an Austin 8, no heater at all, and when the windscreen iced up - simply used to wind it open (it hinged from the top and was driven up by a chain) - -

Was chilly driving - and had the car for many many years - miss it now

Aye - My first car was an Austin 8, no heater at all, and when the windscreen iced up - simply used to wind it open (it hinged from the top and was driven up by a chain) - -

Was chilly driving - and had the car for many many years - miss it now

I once had a series 3 Land Rover that had a box like thing hung under the dash with levers on that slid about - it looked as if it was connected to something and allegedly it was a 'cab heater'

I'd have been better lighting a candle.....