snowmaggedon starts

matty40s

Featured Posts

Woke up to a light covering of snow in Lincoln. More of an annoyance than anything else as everyone was driving really slowly despite the roads being clear.

Not much more than a sprinkling here in Sheffield although more is forecast for later this afternoon according to the local radio station.

152D6AF3-926C-4767-898E-45375BCA5D54-743-0000011E7CF387C0.jpg

Here in the Fens there has been a covering of overnight snow, back garden looks very postcard-pretty but the road outside is clear. Weather is in remission now but more serious white stuff in the afternoon is promised by the BBC. Thanks, BBC.

likewise, a covering in Leicestershire. Roads all clear, but what is nice is there is no wind, so the trees have stayed covered....pretty!

The workshop however is ****** freezing...especially with the door propped open to get stuff in and out today!! Brrrrr............

Well this will cause the usual howls of derision, but I'll risk it anyway!......

Cath has just phoned to say her school in Hemel Hempstead will be closing at 13:00.

(In fairness, it is a school that buses kids in over a large geographic area, and the predictions about running buses at the regular time don't sound that good. It's not certain other svhools with much smaller catchmentareas will do the same.)

I rather suspect I'm not going to be driving to the Cowley Boater's meeting after all. I must admit I'm rather a fair weather motorist these days, unless the journey is very important.

The Amber warning forecast for parts of the North East and Pennines has been shifted South at 11.25 am to cover the whole of the Eastern side of England down to London.

This may mean that everything now comes to a halt, 22 mile traffic jams on the M11, M25, Heathrow will shut for 3 days, and all mainline East coast services are delayed due to ice on the rails. 3-15 cm of snow.!!!!

Quick everyone , strip the shelves of bread, water, candles......

Edited by matty40s
  • Greenie 2

Well this will cause the usual howls of derision, but I'll risk it anyway!......

Cath has just phoned to say her school in Hemel Hempstead will be closing at 13:00.

(In fairness, it is a school that buses kids in over a large geographic area, and the predictions about running buses at the regular time don't sound that good. It's not certain other svhools with much smaller catchmentareas will do the same.)

I rather suspect I'm not going to be driving to the Cowley Boater's meeting after all. I must admit I'm rather a fair weather motorist these days, unless the journey is very important.

The sleet/snow will I imagine freeze later I would not want to be in a car unless I had to. No howl of derision from me sounds a sensible precaution.

After early snow in the Fens it cleared up and there was even hazy sunshine. Seeing that more snow was forecast for later we dashed over to March and laid in provisions, returning just as the snow was starting agin at 1.30 p.m. By the time I had chopped wood and laid the fire in the stove it had graduated from light flurries to proper snow, which is still descending. Hopeful blackbirds, waiting within range of the bird tray, are almost white over.

Mrs. Athy has to drive to her head office in Cantab tomorrow, could be fun if this carries on.

Glad I had winter tyres fitted to the van last month then! The increase in grip on snow is phenomenal. Highly recommended.

MtB

We have never bothered with winter tyres. Have never really seen the need for them in this country. We just make sure our normal tyres are in good nick.

We have never bothered with winter tyres. Have never really seen the need for them in this country. We just make sure our normal tyres are in good nick.

They are surprisingly effective. I was astounded at how 'grippy' my brother in laws Astra was with them compared to my almost identical car when I had it.

My tyres were in pretty good nick too but his was like a little mountain goat.

The trick is to buy a cheap set of rims and have them fitted and swap them over at the beginning and end of winter. That way they lasted him many many years even though they are generally made of a softer compound and do wear out faster.

They are surprisingly effective. I was astounded at how 'grippy' my brother in laws Astra was with them compared to my almost identical car when I had it.

My tyres were in pretty good nick too but his was like a little mountain goat.

The trick is to buy a cheap set of rims and have them fitted and swap them over at the beginning and end of winter. That way they lasted him many many years even though they are generally made of a softer compound and do wear out faster.

Think we will stick to the continentals on the Datsun. It has never let us down yet despite throwing it at some less than ideal road conditions. It also is surprisingly agile in snowy and icy conditions, despite having to clamber up some steep roads.

(You know what will happen on the way home now though!)

Any updates from round there? (Venetian marina area)

Hi Lyndy

It was pretty cold Saturday night (-4) but has been above freezing since. Rained this afternoon and down to +1 now. No sign of snow yet!

Hi Lyndy

It was pretty cold Saturday night (-4) but has been above freezing since. Rained this afternoon and down to +1 now. No sign of snow yet!

Thanks for that Dave. I'm glad we drained the water off before we left if you've had -4 across there. Hope it doesn't get as bad as 2 years ago when we sledged across the canal!!

Glad I had winter tyres fitted to the van last month then! The increase in grip on snow is phenomenal. Highly recommended.

MtB

What happened to the snow socks from last year? They worked great getting us up the hill after we took the wrong turning after leaving the Indian and got stuck! A bit of a pain to put on but worked well, and not that pricey ISTR? What were they actually properly called?

What happened to the snow socks from last year? They worked great getting us up the hill after we took the wrong turning after leaving the Indian and got stuck! A bit of a pain to put on but worked well, and not that pricey ISTR? What were they actually properly called?

I still have them. But you have to get out and fit them then take them off again after getting out of the deep snow. Max speed with the Snow Socks is 20mph remember?!

With snowtyres the grip is similar on snow and ice but I can also drive at 85mph on the motorway.

I mean 70mph, DOH...

MtB