snowmaggedon starts

matty40s

Featured Posts

Just been out to help a neighbour up our front road (the only front wheel drive I've so far seen stuck) - I gave up helping him when I noticed his front tyres were almost as smooth as a babies bottom not even barely legal.......

I don't mind helping folk but honestly I ain't going to help anybody stupid enough to go out driving in thick snow (or indeed any conditions) with 'slicks' on the driving wheels.

He gave up after half an hour and abandoned his car at the road bottom.

I divide my time between work - West coast of Norway 1 week every month, and home - high up in North Pennines in the Allen Valleys.

Both communities are used to snow.

Here at home we have lying snow for several weeks each winter. We are used to it, we know it will happen, we get the roads cleared by 8.30am each morning and everyone knows how to drive in snow - much like where I work in Norway. The only difference is that in Norway they have to have winter tyres on their cars by law....and they work really well.

I never cease to be amazed at how much fuss we make of so little snow in this country, and of how poorly most people drive in it.

(Edited for spelling - perhaps I should have written it in Norwegian!)

Edited by Thorfast

Taken this morning. The river hasn’t iced over yet this year, although a couple of years ago even the salt water section was frozen.

FensJanuary2013_zpsc8125ce3.jpg

This Springer has done its share of ice breaking in the Watford region in years past. I sometimes wonder whether flat-bottoms could have done it; from time to time the bow would ride up onto the ice and instead of crushing the sheet under the focussed weight of the ‘V’ hull would stick there, so needing to be reversed off and another run taken at it.