snowmaggedon starts

matty40s

Featured Posts

BBC forecast for today was light snow followed by dry overcast weather, temperature around freezing all day. We had clouds this morning, followed by a brief but thick fog belt, since then it's been largely sunny and thawing. So much for the trustworthy public broadcaster.

Tomorrow promises, is that is the right word, freezing fog. How I hope that they are wrong agon.

Winter tyres are superb. Mine cost less than my excess and they make a RWD BMW into a perfectly well behaved snow car. Spare wheels are cheap, even alloys are only worth £25 each at the scrappy!

I've just been out in our front wheel drive FIAT 500 for the first time in any snow of any significance and it brought back to me just how bad rear wheel drive BMW's are in snow - I would say snow tyres are pretty essential on one for the winter, certainly in snow at least.

I used to have 3 series the last one being an auto which was a nightmare in the snow. No matter how hard you tried to force it to move off in a higher gear (using the manual option) it in typical Germanic fashion always thought it knew better and dropped you back into first which is useless when there was a big 2.5 litre lump just spinning the back wheels.

Edited by The Dog House

I've just been out in our front wheel drive FIAT 500 for the first time in any snow of any significance and it brought back to me just how bad rear wheel drive BMW's are in snow - I would say snow tyres are pretty essential on one for the winter, certainly in snow at least.

I used to have 3 series the last one being an auto which was a nightmare in the snow. No matter how hard you tried to force it to move off in a higher gear (using the manual option) it in typical Germanic fashion always thought it knew better and dropped you back into first which is useless when there was a big 2.5 litre lump just spinning the back wheels.

Just a thought but some cheaper tyres sold are actually a softer compound and classed as M+S or mud and snow , so you might find you allready have them fitted !! :)

Just a thought but some cheaper tyres sold are actually a softer compound and classed as M+S or mud and snow , so you might find you allready have them fitted !! :)

Possible but very unlikely I would say the tyres are the original ones on a car less than one year old and the tread pattern is very much not for snow.

Mud and Snow rated tyres are clearly marked on the sidewall so you should know already, but there's a lot more to decent winter tyres than a softer compound.

Yep, they make a huge difference. However, the best car I ever owned for snow use was an automatic - a Jeep Cherokee with Mud and Snow rated knobbly tyres :) I do take your point though, manual is normally best.

Edited by Morat

SWMBO works in Bridlington, but we live near Caistor! Getting to the bridge would be good!

sorry, still a bit green on here, what's SWMBO? That's some journey to work. Better since the bridge tolls were reduced tho! Hope she got there and back safely.

sorry, still a bit green on here, what's SWMBO? That's some journey to work. Better since the bridge tolls were reduced tho! Hope she got there and back safely.

Common internet parlance for

She Who Must Be Obeyed...

not exclusive to this forum.

It's certainly been cold!

I went out to collect some coal travelling along the rural roads yesterday while it was snowing. Only about an inch covering. It was fine in my 24 year old rear wheel drive, automatic volvo 240 estate :cheers:

To pull away I put it into drive and let the autobox creep the car forward and then gently feed the accelerator on. I found this worked well in deep snow.

The greatest thing about snow tyres though is the improved brakeing performance. I may eventually get some winter tyres but at the moment I take it easy and currently using summer michelin energy saver tyres.

James :cheers:

I went out to collect some coal travelling along the rural roads yesterday while it was snowing.

Was the coal in bags or loose, and how fast was it travelling??

Boat now iced in in Loughborough.

I have just returned from Nottingham and from 0.5degc in the centre of the city, the temperature dropped to -4.5 on the way back through the Wolds road. We may have to break the swans out in the morning as they are asleep with the ice forming round them.

From H Ryder Haggards novel "She" - abbreviated from She Who Must Be Obeyed. Used later by John Mortimer in "Rumpole of the Bailey", when it became popular parlance.

Worth reading "She"- SO politically incorrect now! And dated ...

-5 when we left home this morning on the very northern tip of Sheffield. This had risen to -2 by the time we reached work just outside the city centre on the south of Sheffield. Now sat at about 0.

Once again the roads were really well gritted and safe to drive on. Well done Sheffield!

Hopefully they will be able to keep this up as we have a lot of snow forecast for Friday.

-5 when we left home this morning on the very northern tip of Sheffield. This had risen to -2 by the time we reached work just outside the city centre on the south of Sheffield. Now sat at about 0.

Once again the roads were really well gritted and safe to drive on. Well done Sheffield!

Hopefully they will be able to keep this up as we have a lot of snow forecast for Friday.

-5C here first thing this morning, -1C now, and CRT contractors are out strimming the grass (or strimming off the frost).

I kid you not.

Edit - I was told they were cutting the grass, but the evidence on the ground is of some hedge trimming.

Tim

Edited by Timleech