Ruthless Eviction of Liveaboards from Fens Marina

Roger Gunkel

Featured Posts

What "hassle". Liveaboards keep an eye on others boats who dont live there (free security). Liveaboards keep the coal/diesel merchants in the area in business (deliveries). Liveaboards buy gas from the local supplier (£££££). Liveaboards form a community (Love, Peace and Goodwill). Liveaboards post on forums about how great a marina is, and bring in word of mouth new business (free marketing). Liveaboards buy electrical cards, washing machine tokens, and report things that might be broken (free monitoring of aging infrastructure).

This thread has the tendancy to brand Liveaboards as some form of problem group. Far from it. Liveaboards are the best!

Devil's advocate mode: on

All true, but the downside is that liveaboards arrive on the same "no security of tenure" rules as the leisure boaters, and pay the same fees. They can't be charged more for a different deal because there's no planning permission and everyone is flying below the radar. Then, when the owners want to use the flexibilty the rules give you to clear the marina to do development, they get pilloried for making people homeless.

If you have a permanent job on the area, and kids in school, you need security of tenure. If you need security of tenure, it's irresponsible to shack up in a boat on a leisure mooring. The marina owners should never have allowed this situation to arise, but the moorers are at least as much to blame that it has.

MP.

• Greenie 4

I'll say it again - we didn't refuse to pay - they withdrew the charge!

They withdrew the charge after one of the residents raised a point about legality given the recent rate increase I seem to recall from an earlier post

Boaters are invited to bring their boats back - just not themselves. There is no way any of us can afford a land dwelling and a boat+mooring. If we can't live on our boats here we either have to move the boats elsewhere (the issue being where?) or sell (haha - in this financial climate - at this time of year??) and move ashore.

There seems to be a lot of discussion, both here and on the Cambridge News site, about whether it is reasonable for the Marina to kick us out - which is irrelevant since we can't stop them. Besides, as far as I'm concerned I no longer want to stay here - why should I pay them to make my life a misery? The issue is that it isn't feasible for us all to find somewhere to go.

13 weeks is a reasonable notice period you can get most way round the system in that time.

What "hassle". Liveaboards keep an eye on others boats who dont live there (free security). Liveaboards keep the coal/diesel merchants in the area in business (deliveries). Liveaboards buy gas from the local supplier (£££££). Liveaboards form a community (Love, Peace and Goodwill). Liveaboards post on forums about how great a marina is, and bring in word of mouth new business (free marketing). Liveaboards buy electrical cards, washing machine tokens, and report things that might be broken (free monitoring of aging infrastructure).

This thread has the tendancy to brand Liveaboards as some form of problem group. Far from it. Liveaboards are the best!

I agree totally - but in this instance there would appear to have been a clear conflict of views - albeit we only have heard one side of the story

Boaters are invited to bring their boats back - just not themselves. There is no way any of us can afford a land dwelling and a boat+mooring. If we can't live on our boats here we either have to move the boats elsewhere (the issue being where?) or sell (haha - in this financial climate - at this time of year??) and move ashore.

There seems to be a lot of discussion, both here and on the Cambridge News site, about whether it is reasonable for the Marina to kick us out - which is irrelevant since we can't stop them. Besides, as far as I'm concerned I no longer want to stay here - why should I pay them to make my life a misery? The issue is that it isn't feasible for us all to find somewhere to go.

I guess that since they have had to apply for planning permission for the work they probably want to make sure that they are complying with hoops that the council want them to go through .... it'll be interesting to see if they do enforce the no liveaboard rule in future .... at one stage I was considering a non-residential mooring and going out of the marina once a week fro a few days then coming back - maybe that would satisfy them

Can GOBA be of any help here? Perhaps offer their moorings for use over the winter while people find other more permanent moorings? Anyone on here from GOBA?

Personally, I would like to think that people desert the place, and the owners will struggle to find boats to take up their berths. It seems to me they have not valued the large monetary contribution having a stable residential community brings.

Sad situation. I wish all the current occupants every success in finding alternate moorings.

On a practical note, asking people to leave by mid Jan is a little strange - the river is likely to be frozen. You cant get a 62+ft boat accross Denver Sluice between Oct and about March usually, and there are just not that many other moorings in that area. Perhaps when they were liaising with the other local marinas about charges, they could have also organised some sort of information to their own occupants about availability of moorings in the local area. Whilst what they are doing is probably perfectly legal, their morals seem to have left them completely, and boaters do tend to talk to other boaters - word will get round, and their on-going business will be effected for decades potentially. Bad business in my view.

On a practical note, asking people to leave by mid Jan is a little strange - the river is likely to be frozen. You cant get a 62+ft boat accross Denver Sluice between Oct and about March usually, and there are just not that many other moorings in that area. Perhaps when they were liaising with the other local marinas about charges, they could have also organised some sort of information to their own occupants about availability of moorings in the local area. Whilst what they are doing is probably perfectly legal, their morals seem to have left them completely, and boaters do tend to talk to other boaters - word will get round, and their on-going business will be effected for decades potentially. Bad business in my view.

The river doesn't tend to freeze properly round here, but it's still a dreadful time of year to have to be 'continuously cruising' which round our way mweans moving every other day to stay legal.

For me the bit in bold is the key thing. It is legal but immoral.

I believe that GOBA moorings are limited to 48hrs in the contracts that GOBA has with the landowners, so would not be available for long term use.

That's correct.

I really hope everyone finds moorings soon!

Can GOBA be of any help here? Perhaps offer their moorings for use over the winter while people find other more permanent moorings? Anyone on here from GOBA?

Personally, I would like to think that people desert the place, and the owners will struggle to find boats to take up their berths. It seems to me they have not valued the large monetary contribution having a stable residential community brings.

Sad situation. I wish all the current occupants every success in finding alternate moorings.

I totally agree, it's bad business and poor callous behaviour on the part of the marina owners. BUT, it's their marina to do with as they wish, and the residents there knew the deal when they took a mooring at the marina, so can hardly complain in my opinion.

What it GOBA please? It's always best to explain acronyms before using them.

And as far as somewhere else to live is concerned, its a long way but I know for certain that Thames and Kennet marina at Reading accepts liveaboards. They'll say no if you ask directly but I'd estimate 50% of the NBs in there are unofficial homes. The heavy 'footprint' of the liveaboards was in fact, a major factor in me deciding to leave there. The place feels more like a housing estate than a marina, and never mind the dozens of cats!

In fact I'd go as far as to say T&K marina is another F&D in the making. Once Reading council suss what's going on there, I reckon the Enforcement Notice will follow in a flash.

(edited for spelling)

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

Whilst what they are doing is probably perfectly legal, their morals seem to have left them completely,

I agree completely.

Hope daddy's little girl and developer hubby spend a fortune developing the place and for it to go belly up!

Just hope that those affected manage to find somewhere and that it is not to their financial detriment.

I totally agree, it's bad business and poor callous behaviour on the part of the marina owners. BUT, it's their marina to do with as they wish, and the residents there knew the deal when they took a mooring at the marina, so can hardly complain in my opinion.

I agree.

We live in rented accommodationand have done so for over fifteen years. Our choice.

During that time we have HAD to re-locate some four times. Each time we have received notice to quit, (Only two months) we have had to accept that we can't do anything about it.

Yes, it hurts, but life goes on. I don't own the building, nor do the moorers own the marina.

Martyn

I guess that since they have had to apply for planning permission for the work they probably want to make sure that they are complying with hoops that the council want them to go through .... it'll be interesting to see if they do enforce the no liveaboard rule in future .... at one stage I was considering a non-residential mooring and going out of the marina once a week fro a few days then coming back - maybe that would satisfy them

I been into the local planning office in Ely today, Ask to see the plans deposited for the planning application for the marina, The staff were

unable to find any application made, let alone plans.

I was driving home tonight when I came across this vehicle which had fun off the road

Not that much fun, judging by the rest of your story. Should it, by the way, be filed under "fiction" or did it really happen?

Come, come, Athy. Brain in gear.

Despite asking a couple of times now, I'll try again.

What is / was the cost of mooring there?

Ridiculously cheap perhaps, given the reluctance of anyone to say?

Interesting there is no planning application. Either:

a) The planned improvement work is cosmetic and does not need PP, or

B) The owners are lying and there are no plans to develop the site and are using it as an excuse to get rid of the liveaboards, or

c) The planning application is still being prepared

My money is on c). And I bet when it surfaces, it will be to partially fill the site, and build a load of houses or flats overlooking a nice nature reserve lake.

Mike

similarly they fail dismally on many a mooring, to keep their boats clean and tidy, in a good state of repair (even on here admitting to having no engines!!) fail to keep their belongings on their boats but spill over onto the land adjoining (piles of junk, piles of wood, piles of coal) a lot of liveaboards have junk and belongings strewn the length of the cabin top

a lot of liveaboards are the makers of their own troubles in my mind (i'm not pointing the finger at anyone in particular, just observing that some NOT ALL have no standards and as such make it difficult for those that do respect their surroundings.

If you want to see if an application has been made - keep the link and click on it every few days.

You can search by 'name', Postcode, or a keyword (I used 'marina')

So far the only planning application is for the Fish & Duck 'pub'

http://pa.eastcambs.gov.uk/online-applications/pagedSearchResults.do?action=page&searchCriteria.page=1

similarly they fail dismally on many a mooring, to keep their boats clean and tidy, in a good state of repair (even on here admitting to having no engines!!) fail to keep their belongings on their boats but spill over onto the land adjoining (piles of junk, piles of wood, piles of coal) a lot of liveaboards have junk and belongings strewn the length of the cabin top

a lot of liveaboards are the makers of their own troubles in my mind (i'm not pointing the finger at anyone in particular, just observing that some NOT ALL have no standards and as such make it difficult for those that do respect their surroundings.

I tend to agree with Hamsterfan that a portion of live-aboards do tend to "spill" out from the boat. We have lived aboard for over 12 years and have always kept our "lives" on the boat so our washing machine, tumble dryer, freezer etc are onboard not in a shed on the bank, all we do have is a neat stack of coal covered with a tarp.

I should say that our Marina does have a robust set of rules which is a good thing, people know were they stand. Transgresers are politely told to toe the line and although one or two push it a bit generally it works OK. I know that Littleport Boat Haven got rid of his live-aboards because of the untidyness of a few.

It seems that it's the old story of a few spoiling it for the majority and perhaps this is the case at Popes Corner.

Phil

One can but hope - but it would be a long shot. Personally I'm not at all sure I'd want to support them anymore.

But Isleham are still only taking pretty boats with no dogs or children. One chap has been told his boat was the wrong colour!? Another couple were told they'd got a mooring but the offer was withdrawn afterwards - not sure why but they do have a dog.

I'll look into this wilderness mooring thing though - do you have any more info? Thanks

Cannot comment on why your offer was withdrawn but I can assure you we have plenty of pig ugly boats here and more dogs than you can shake a stick at, I have one myself. Also we do have some children here as well.

As regards the wilderness moorings I suggest a phone call to the E.A would be a good start, not sure of how they are priced but a pal of mine has one for a 62 footer cost about £1200-00 p.a

Phil

I agree completely.

Hope daddy's little girl and developer hubby spend a fortune developing the place and for it to go belly up!

Just hope that those affected manage to find somewhere and that it is not to their financial detriment.

when they want to open next year,they will probuly be to exspensive for any one to moor there.

If you want to see if an application has been made - keep the link and click on it every few days.

You can search by 'name', Postcode, or a keyword (I used 'marina')

So far the only planning application is for the Fish & Duck 'pub'

http://pa.eastcambs....Criteria.page=1

That application was withdrawn, They may be planning the high risk move of the retrospective planning application.

A day up the river I pay £1500 for a 22ft boat plus £200+ for the winter lift out so that marina is peanuts price.

Mind you the marina I am in doesnt take over 35ft

I dont blame the owners wanting to change.