Ruthless Eviction of Liveaboards from Fens Marina

Roger Gunkel

Featured Posts

I really feel for the people at F/D, We are at Hartford Marina, and there really is nowhere for them to go in this area. Even the non-residential boats have to get off the marina for a number of months, right at the worst time of year. The last time we went passed there, there seemed to me quite a few Widebeams too...just what are they supposed to do?

There are some mooring available here, but they are only accepting non residentials now! obviously if (like my new next door neighbour) you have an alternative address for your mail, you can slip under the radar, but I know theyre quite hot on it at the moment because of all the residential issues we still have got ongoing here.

I know Priory in Bedford have residential Moorings, but we were quoted £6000 a year for our 57ft WB. :wacko:

Why is everyone rushing about?

According to Roger's original post the eviction notices were served last Thursday and 13 weeks notice had been given.

It would appear that many people have already found alternate moorings.

My daughter rents a flat. She's just been given 3 months notice to quit by her landlord. What's she doing? ...... finding somewhere else to live.

At least a boater can just move the boat.

Whilst people might not like it, a landlord has the right to do it.

Security of tenure? Wake up and smell the coffee

We're all rushing about because the number of marinas willing to accept residential boaters is very small and there are far more of us than spaces. The conventional housing market is very much larger.

At least two of the marina owners have been holding a beauty contest doing boat inspections or requiring photographs before they decide which boats they will accept. Remember the old rule, get yourself a mooring and then buy the boat. It's a sellers market out there at the moment and those of us with older/longer/wider/not quite finished boats are beginning to feel a bit depressed.

We're all rushing about because the number of marinas willing to accept residential boaters is very small and there are far more of us than spaces. The conventional housing market is very much larger.

At least two of the marina owners have been holding a beauty contest doing boat inspections or requiring photographs before they decide which boats they will accept. Remember the old rule, get yourself a mooring and then buy the boat. It's a sellers market out there at the moment and those of us with older/longer/wider/not quite finished boats are beginning to feel a bit depressed.

How about staying put until evicted then asking the council to provide you with accommodation as you are homeless? Once you are allocated accommodation, you are now looking for a leisure mooring. Then you can choose to spend 'a lot of time on your boat', and the merry-go-round can continue!

Mike

The Cambridge News is running a story about it today, which seems to imply that they will all be allowed back once refurbishments have been completed. But people here seem to suggest that residential boats will no longer be welcome.

http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/News/New-owners-give-80-families-three-months-to-leave-for-major-revamp-09102012.htm

To remove confusion, the eviction letter we received specifically states that liveaboards will not be allowed back. The reporter who wrote the piece for The Cambridge News seems to have talked at length with the marina owners but just sent a photographer to see us, he wrote the article without actually interviewing any of the residents!

That is depressing indeed. I really feel for you all, it can't be easy. I mean, yes, of course anyone can be given notice from anywhere if they rent, but the sheer scale of this, compounded by the mooring situation in the area makes it a very callous thing for the landowners to have done.

If there's any thing we can do in terms of towing engineless boats etc do get in touch. I'm also secretary of Camboaters, and although we're not exactly a powerful organisation, if you think adding our voice would help, let me know. Are any of you on the Cambridge moorings waiting list?

How about staying put until evicted then asking the council to provide you with accommodation as you are homeless? Once you are allocated accommodation, you are now looking for a leisure mooring. Then you can choose to spend 'a lot of time on your boat', and the merry-go-round can continue!

Mike

3 problems I can see with that. 1 is the boat still needs to be moved and new mooring paid for. 2 if the person is already claiming H/B towards mooring fees, you get my drift. 3 I seriously doubt that the if the council is like most others it would have sufficient suitable housing stock to supply the upcoming need.

So do I

I pay £660 surcharge a year on top of the moorings, I dont consider it unreasonable, I also had to pay a 20% surcharge when I had the barge as it was over 7ft wide.

Personally I think that the moorers might have been slightly shortsighted in refusing to pay as many of them will not find a mooring elsewhere for a variety of reasons.

And I do know popes corner, I also have a boat on the Ouse I hope that this wont lead to the clogging up of all the GOBA and EA moorings in that area.

I can see your point. Actually we never refused to pay the extra charge. It was withdrawn after one of our number pointed out that the mooring fees (or rent as they insist on calling it) had already been increased by more than was legal in that calendar year (we were quietly paying that as well.) Of course it didn't help that they were trying to kid us that the extra charge was to cover improved facilities, when in fact it was to cover shambolic expenditure.

The problem is that, despite people having been living on boats here for more that 20 years, we don't have any legal tenure. We know we have to go. We'd rather jump before we're pushed. There just aren't enough places to go to.

Distraught of Pope's Corner

Hello Roger. Yes it was my wind generator.

I think the battle here is lost, if there was ever any other realistic outcome. There was some appetite for a fight a few days ago but that has gone now, except in the case of one or two individuals who've not much to lose. Everybody seems convinced that Shropshires solicitors will make mincemeat of anyone who tries to resist. None of us have legal training and the fear is a that a legal challenge would be very expensive especially if it failed. Anyone staying at their mooring beyond 19th Jan is threatened with being sued for damages! and costs.

For some this could not have come at a worse time and they are going to have to sell their boats, taking a heavy financial hit. A few will go continuous cruising: usually those who have done it before.

A few of us are trying to get this the maximum media exposure we can. At one time we thought sufficient public embarrassment might change the outcome but I think they are immune to it. Now we are trying to make sure this doesn't go unnoticed, at least locally, but even the appetite for this seems to be waning a bit

Thank you for starting this off, Roger.

Anything anyone else can do to get this onto twitter, facebook, utube , other forums, television, what have you, would be much appreciated.

Hi Cootwatcher!

I take it you've seen today's article in the Cambridge News. Whitewash for the Marina owners - not surprised since despite it being us who contacted them they didn't even interview us. I've put lots of comments on Camb News website to try to redress the balance. So much for publicizing our cause.

Ho hum!

It's a pretty desperate situation. I didn't think there was a legal limit for mooring fees increases in a calendar year was this written into your agreements ?

Apparently its something to do with fair rent?? Not our agreement per se but nationally. Not sure of details.

That is depressing indeed. I really feel for you all, it can't be easy. I mean, yes, of course anyone can be given notice from anywhere if they rent, but the sheer scale of this, compounded by the mooring situation in the area makes it a very callous thing for the landowners to have done.

If there's any thing we can do in terms of towing engineless boats etc do get in touch. I'm also secretary of Camboaters, and although we're not exactly a powerful organisation, if you think adding our voice would help, let me know. Are any of you on the Cambridge moorings waiting list?

Thanks for the offer. We'll not see any of our own stuck - but it's nice to know there is help out there if we need it. I expect some people are trying to get in at Cambridge - personally I'm not licensed to pass Bottisham Lock - yet!

Mike

Tempting - but I'd be worried about losing my boat in the meantime. Evicted sounds horribly permanent. And besides - what council housing? 8-D

On another note - what's your advice re: gas water heaters. Obviously room sealed is the correct way - but so expensive! We need to get one as soon and as cheaply as possible as we won't be able to get things delivered easily after we've left. What do you think?

Cheers

It's evident that Roger is extremely upset by the story which he has heard, and other forum colleagues have understandably been in agreement with him.

What we have not yet heard is the marina owner's side of the story. It would make interesting reading.

Try looking at the article in the Cambridge News (9/10/12) - its online. That is from their point of view alright!

Is there a chance that they are saying they won't have any residential moorings when they reopen because they don't currently have any 'official' residential moorings? So perhaps people will be able to return there and moor up, but just spend 'a lot of time' on their boats...? I would agree that it's not been handled at all well, but where there's no proper contract drawn up and people are just living there because that's how it's always been, I'd think it sensible to have something to fall back on should such a situation arise. Having a boat with no engine would need an even more elaborate back up plan due to the difficulty of moving it elsewhere!

The actual wording is: ... when the Marina reopens no residential use of boats at the Marina will be permitted. This will be a rule which we will enforce strictly, and once it reopens the Marina will be exclusively non-residential.

The actual wording is: ... when the Marina reopens no residential use of boats at the Marina will be permitted. This will be a rule which we will enforce strictly, and once it reopens the Marina will be exclusively non-residential.

Perhaps they'll find there aren't enough people who want a non-residential mooring? What's the current proportion of non-residential to residential there? Maybe after a few months they'll have no choice but to offer it due to lack of sufficient income :)

It's a pretty desperate situation. I didn't think there was a legal limit for mooring fees increases in a calendar year was this written into your agreements ?

If there is no contract (housing) setting out he limit of rent increase p/a then all a landlord needs to do is serve the rent increase in the correct way and then it's up to the tenant to decide if he wants stay and pay the new rent or leave. This service has to be a minimum of 2 months.

I seriouly doubt you would have better protection on a mooring against rent increase.

To remove confusion, the eviction letter we received specifically states that liveaboards will not be allowed back. The reporter who wrote the piece for The Cambridge News seems to have talked at length with the marina owners but just sent a photographer to see us, he wrote the article without actually interviewing any of the residents!

Just for clarification, does the letter say that those people currently living aboard will not be allowed back at all, even as leisure moorers?

I have read all the comments on here and on the cambridge evening news site, I would be interested in seeing what people would have said had this happened on a housing estate, evicting 80 people from there houses i feel would have had more news coverage. but because were mobile (technically) they seem to have dumbed it down.

I accept that the land owner is perfectly within there rights, I would like to here what the surrounding marinas have to say about the sudden impact of this? and what the local council have said about it all?

I personally feel that 80 boats suddenly released on to the system will cause massive issues for everyone except Davina,

as for anyone wanting to return, who would if this is the way they deal with people?

Here at Isleham Marina, our owner has taken as many as is practical, bearing in mind that she had to consider the infra structure of the marina and the pressure that extra moorers would place on it.

It is worth remembering that E.A. do have a number of wilderness moorings available no facilities but not a lot of money.

Phil

Edited by Phil Ambrose

I have read all the comments on here and on the cambridge evening news site, I would be interested in seeing what people would have said had this happened on a housing estate, evicting 80 people from there houses i feel would have had more news coverage. but because were mobile (technically) they seem to have dumbed it down.

I accept that the land owner is perfectly within there rights, I would like to here what the surrounding marinas have to say about the sudden impact of this? and what the local council have said about it all?

I personally feel that 80 boats suddenly released on to the system will cause massive issues for everyone except Davina,

as for anyone wanting to return, who would if this is the way they deal with people?

Whilst I am very sympathetic to your difficulties I don't call being given 13 weeks notice "sudden". You will have no more security in the next marina that's the nature of all the agreements we sign. If I was in a house or housing estate with a similar agreement I imagine I would be in the same situation. I could squat as you could and wait for the eviction order.

I suspect they will get new moorers who don't give them he hassle of liveaboards .

Edited by Tuscan

If I wanted to evict a tenant all I need to do is serve a section 21 notice which can be a minimum of 2 months depending when in the tenancy month it is served so at longest just under 3 months. And this is for a house or flat etc.

Whist it's not nice, I think 13 weeks notice is very reasonable especially as there is nothing I've heard on this thread that says anyone had a contract giving better protection.

This thread has the tendancy to brand Liveaboards as some form of problem group. Far from it. Liveaboards are the best!

I don't read the thread as branding liveaboards as a problem but I do read the thread as liveaboards have no more security than somebody renting a land based home.

The question is should renting a mooring have any more security than renting a house?

I don't read the thread as branding liveaboards as a problem but I do read the thread as liveaboards have no more security than somebody renting a land based home.

The question is should renting a mooring have any more security than renting a house?

Definitely not. If residential mooring owners were unable to terminate an unsatisfactory residential letting, they would simply refuse to rent to liveaboards at all.

This would lead to the current meagre supply of residential moorings drying up completely.

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

Perhaps they'll find there aren't enough people who want a non-residential mooring? What's the current proportion of non-residential to residential there? Maybe after a few months they'll have no choice but to offer it due to lack of sufficient income :)

One can but hope - but it would be a long shot. Personally I'm not at all sure I'd want to support them anymore.

Here at Isleham Marina, our owner has taken as many as is practical, bearing in mind that she had to consider the infra structure of the marina and the pressure that extra moorers would place on it.

It is worth remembering that E.A. do have a number of wilderness moorings available no facilities but not a lot of money.

Phil

But Isleham are still only taking pretty boats with no dogs or children. One chap has been told his boat was the wrong colour!? Another couple were told they'd got a mooring but the offer was withdrawn afterwards - not sure why but they do have a dog.

I'll look into this wilderness mooring thing though - do you have any more info? Thanks

Edited by LiveAboard

Just for clarification, does the letter say that those people currently living aboard will not be allowed back at all, even as leisure moorers?

Boaters are invited to bring their boats back - just not themselves. There is no way any of us can afford a land dwelling and a boat+mooring. If we can't live on our boats here we either have to move the boats elsewhere (the issue being where?) or sell (haha - in this financial climate - at this time of year??) and move ashore.

There seems to be a lot of discussion, both here and on the Cambridge News site, about whether it is reasonable for the Marina to kick us out - which is irrelevant since we can't stop them. Besides, as far as I'm concerned I no longer want to stay here - why should I pay them to make my life a misery? The issue is that it isn't feasible for us all to find somewhere to go.

All the boaters there must have been aware of this and presumably of he risk when electing not to pay the extra to live aboard. Unfortunately looks like the marina owners called their bluff.

I'll say it again - we didn't refuse to pay - they withdrew the charge!

I spoke today to the journalist who wrote the Cambridge News article. His name is Jordan Day if anyone else wants talk to him. He seemed genuinely unaware of the fact that only non-residential boats be will accepted when the Marina re-opens. He didn't promise to do anything or to do it soon, but maybe he will set the record straight.

What "hassle". Liveaboards keep an eye on others boats who dont live there (free security). Liveaboards keep the coal/diesel merchants in the area in business (deliveries). Liveaboards buy gas from the local supplier (£££££). Liveaboards form a community (Love, Peace and Goodwill). Liveaboards post on forums about how great a marina is, and bring in word of mouth new business (free marketing). Liveaboards buy electrical cards, washing machine tokens, and report things that might be broken (free monitoring of aging infrastructure).

This thread has the tendancy to brand Liveaboards as some form of problem group. Far from it. Liveaboards are the best!

Very convincingly expressed - a Green for Dean.