Ruthless Eviction of Liveaboards from Fens Marina

Roger Gunkel

Featured Posts

If I wanted to evict a tenant all I need to do is serve a section 21 notice which can be a minimum of 2 months depending when in the tenancy month it is served so at longest just under 3 months. And this is for a house or flat etc.

Whist it's not nice, I think 13 weeks notice is very reasonable especially as there is nothing I've heard on this thread that says anyone had a contract giving better protection.

Sounds reasonable for a problem tenant, but they are giving notice to all the liveaboards in a marina with little or no residential moorings anywhere nearby.

OK it's perfectly legal, but so is someone mooring up right next to your boat and running their engine all day to your detriment.

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

Sounds reasonable for a problem tenant, but they are giving notice to all the liveaboards in a marina with little or no residential moorings anywhere nearby.

OK it's perfectly legal, but so is someone mooring up right next to your boat and running their engine all day to your detriment.

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

[/

Liveaboads have no more tenure than a casual moorer, they are in effect always vulnerable to the whims of the marina. They have been given 13 weeks notice which is a very reasonable period. Something must have triggered the marina owners to ban live aboards going forward.

As a landlord I only ever get rid of "problem" tenants. This is almost always to do with gross failure to behave like a reasonable decent person and or to respect his immediate neighbours or the property.

I have never thrown anyone out purely on financial grounds. I have always found a good tenant will work with me to resolve matters.

A good tenant is good business a bad tenant is VERY bad business. I am wondering if this might be a bit true at the F&D and some sacrificial babies have been thrown out with the bath water. As a LL I would have my money on that as a strong possibility here.

Silly? Certainly not. Provide a photo of the boat? Tenants who "fit in" with the community? In other words, if you're like us you can join, if not, then clear off. If you buy a cat, you can clear off too. That is very much in the spirit of those long-ago boarding-house signs. What will be next? Interrogation about political views and religious faith of prospective moorers?

If you are asking to join a Ford owners club but have a Suzuki, its perfectly reasonable for them to say "go join another group". Incidentally you are the first one to mention cats.

If you are asking to join a Ford owners club but have a Suzuki, its perfectly reasonable for them to say "go join another group". Incidentally you are the first one to mention cats.

Cats are pets, though many of them refuse to acknowledge this. Restrictions on pets were indeed mentioned, by you. I don't think that my criticising intolerance and discrimanation can be described as "silly" - it could be the thin end of the wedge, the marina gets away with it, leading to their introducing more and more restrictions. I do not think that your Ford/ Suzuki analogy is a valid one, as both are cars, just as my boat and your boat were probably built by different people but both are boats.

On a different and still relevant tack, the mooring outside The Globe in Upwell is still empty, went past it today.

Edited by Athy

Cats are pets, though many of them refuse to acknowledge this. Restrictions on pets were indeed mentioned. I don't think that my criticising intolerance and discrimanation can be described as "silly" - it could be the thin end of the wedge, the marina gets away with it, leading to their introducing more and more restrictions. I do not think that your Ford/ Suzuki analogy is a valid one, as both are cars, just as my boat and your boat were probably built by different people but both are boats.

On a different and still relevant tack, the mooring outside The Globe in Upwell is still empty, went past it today.

Accusing people of discrimination is just putting an emotive tag on something you do not personally agree with, Discrimination is on the basis of ethnicity or religion not on the type or colour of their boat or the breed of pet they CHOOSE to own. Don't be trivial.

Accusing people of discrimination is just putting an emotive tag on something you do not personally agree with, Discrimination is on the basis of ethnicity or religion not on the type or colour of their boat or the breed of pet they CHOOSE to own. Don't be trivial.

John, in the last few posts you have gratuitously called me "silly" and "trivial". I must ask you, please, not to be rude.

Discrimination can be on almost any grounds, not just on the bases of ethnicity or religion. Where on earth did you get that idea from? After all, did this thread not start because a marina manageress discriminated against a certain section of the marina's customers?

Edited by Athy

As a landlord I only ever get rid of "problem" tenants. This is almost always to do with gross failure to behave like a reasonable decent person and or to respect his immediate neighbours or the property.

I have never thrown anyone out purely on financial grounds. I have always found a good tenant will work with me to resolve matters.

A good tenant is good business a bad tenant is VERY bad business. I am wondering if this might be a bit true at the F&D and some sacrificial babies have been thrown out with the bath water. As a LL I would have my money on that as a strong possibility here.

Biggles that would me my view as well, nothing else I have read makes sense.

Under the equality act 2010 the following are 'protected characteristics' regarding discrimination :

Race

Gender Reassignment

Pregnancy

Disability

Sexuality

Colour of boat or type of pets are not 'protected characteristics'

With regard to 'age' discrimination this meant that no longer could discounts / concessions be offered to OAP's / retired (ie bus passes, club membership etc) - this caused a 'riot' and has now been amended

under the 'exemption order' which has now been approved by the House of Commons)and takes effect from 1st October 2012

Cats are pets, though many of them refuse to acknowledge this. Restrictions on pets were indeed mentioned, by you. I don't think that my criticising intolerance and discrimanation can be described as "silly" - it could be the thin end of the wedge, the marina gets away with it, leading to their introducing more and more restrictions. I do not think that your Ford/ Suzuki analogy is a valid one, as both are cars, just as my boat and your boat were probably built by different people but both are boats.

My friends have just set off in their caravan for the Lake District. When they book the pitch they were asked a few questions, Do you have an awning - No

Do you have a dog - No but we have a cat

Cats aren't allowed, dogs are OK but no cats.

Under the equality act 2010 the following are 'protected characteristics' regarding discrimination :

Race

Gender Reassignment

Pregnancy

Disability

Sexuality

Colour of boat or type of pets are not 'protected characteristics'

With regard to 'age' discrimination this meant that no longer could discounts / concessions be offered to OAP's / retired (ie bus passes, club membership etc)

It's not just "protected characteristics" which can be discriminated against (as DC has just shown).

I suppose that the "age" item on your list would also, if strictly applied, have meant that children could not get reduced price travel tickets, entry to events and so on. Gosh, that would have been popular with parents. Was this legislation one of Gordon Broon's clangers?

It's not just "protected characteristics" which can be discriminated against (as DC has just shown).

I suppose that the "age" item on your list would also, if strictly applied, have meant that children could not get reduced price travel tickets, entry to events and so on. Gosh, that would have been popular with parents. Was this legislation one of Gordon Broon's clangers?

Right from the off - 'age' only related to age 18+

So Juniors under age eighteen could still be excluded from adult competitions, still got 'concessions' etc.

It is another example of EU regulations (but the interpretation is down to UK Polititians)

DC's examples are 'discrimination' but legal action could not be taken under the "Equality Act" as they are not listed as protected characteristics. The owner of said caravan park can have whoever they want, just as I can have / refuse entry to anyone in my bar

Edited by Alan de Enfield

Right from the off - 'age' only related to age 18+

So Juniors under age eighteen could still be excluded from adult competitions, still got 'concessions' etc.

It is another example of EU regulations (but the interpretation is down to UK Polititians)

Thanks for clarifying that, Alan.

I do hope that your spelling was intentional (see bold print).

If I were a landlord (I never shall be by the way) then I would interview applicant tenants.

If I was of the opinion that they may not look after my property, or I felt uneasy about them - - I would find a reason to decline from leasing my house to them.

Were I to spend a small fortune and open a marina - and, for whatever reason, wished to attract a certain type of boat or boater, I would reserve the right to so structure my business, whether it be for orphans, unmarried mothers or musicians

Edited by Grace & Favour

John, in the last few posts you have gratuitously called me "silly" and "trivial". I must ask you, please, not to be rude.

Discrimination can be on almost any grounds, not just on the bases of ethnicity or religion. Where on earth did you get that idea from? After all, did this thread not start because a marina manageress discriminated against a certain section of the marina's customers?

I have never called you silly. I might have thought it and applaud wholeheartedly he who did, but I did not say it.

Edited by John V

No this thread started because the owner discriminated against ALL customers , irrespective of pets, boat use, colour of boat , age , sex etc. so without wishing to be rude no discrimination (apart from boaters generally) in this specific instance.

George, it was perhaps because the story was couched in the first person that I took it as gospel. Having, last year, escaped from a a fire which seriously damaged our home, I am susceptible to believing horror stories about fires, because I came within a few minutes of being a statistic - I was upstairs when the fire started downstairs and, by the grace of God, I went down from my office to make coffee and discovered the kitchen and dining room ablaze.

I am delighted that the story was fiction!

I am delighted that you escaped!

Some women will do anything to get a new kitchen.

No this thread started because the owner discriminated against ALL customers , irrespective of pets, boat use, colour of boat , age , sex etc. so without wishing to be rude no discrimination (apart from boaters generally) in this specific instance.

Not the full story as I understand it. Initially everyone had their mooring agreements terminated but the owners followed on by saying after the renovation, leisure moorers would be accepted back should they wish to return, but liveaboards would not.

Hey, don't give John all the credit. It was I who called you silly.

Hey, don't give John all the credit. It was I who called you silly.

Your obvious remorse does you great credit.

George, thanks, but I can't lay the blame on Mrs. Athy as she was out at work at the time ! I shall not employ the fitter who had "repaired" our Rayburn which then caught fire and set the kitchen alight, though.

Actually Mrs. A. does like the new kitchen, now that you mention it.

They don't want liveaboards because they're about to put in a planning application nd don't want the marina to be discovered half full of residential boater thereby making it rather obvious they have been flouting planning laws when it suited them. Not a good start. Their lawyers will have advised them to do this, possibly also suggesting the preliminary extension works do not require PP or if they do would not be troublesome to obtain after.

BUT the way the council Planning departments work, anyone can go in for a private consultation over their proposed plans beforehand - no point going to the expense of preparing a full large scale planning application if the idea won't stand a chance. I suspect they've had at least one of these private meetings with the council - hell, I did when I built a wooden summerhouse in the garden! - it was reclaimed from a former hospital grouds - rather nice actually, all hardwood and cedar shingles. The problem was that it was 4.1m high and anything over 4m requires PP. They suggested that if I built it 100mm lower than the surrounding driveway/paths/gardens I wouldn't need planning permission. So I dug the foundation a bit deeper and did just that. I did consult the neighbours though - they were pleased as I knocked down an ugly asbestos garage to build it. Here's a picture. Yes that's me on the roof fitting the last ridge tiles. Building cost me £700, but rather a lot more by the time it was dismantled, moved 50 miles and built on the planning deptment advised buried foundations as seen in the picture. You only live once.:)

R0012118.jpg

Edited by boathunter

As I have said before on here. Councils will turn a blind eye to non residential situations as it suits them. I lived near a number of Haven caravan parks which are not residential all year. However a significant number of people do live there all year and in general are left to it because if they are turfed out for the 3 months of the year they aren't permitted then the local council has a duty to house them, which of course they couldn't either find enough places, or afford the B&B bill. In my area B&B hotels get £240 pounds a week for each room let to council placements.

So things get left and that's how these situations devolope to a stage of acceptance until something or someone "rocks the boat" and action has to be taken, then everyone is all of a sudden supprised.

I do however sympathise as all people want to do in general is get on with ther lives, not be a state burden, and do the best with what they have.

Your obvious remorse does you great credit.

Echoes of Oscar.

George, thanks, but I can't lay the blame on Mrs. Athy as she was out at work at the time ! I shall not employ the fitter who had "repaired" our Rayburn which then caught fire and set the kitchen alight, though.

Actually Mrs. A. does like the new kitchen, now that you mention it.

Clouds and linings. Having nearly lost her hubby, Mrs A was soon consoled by her bright new kitchen.

• Greenie 1