Ruthless Eviction of Liveaboards from Fens Marina

Roger Gunkel

Featured Posts

Come, come, Athy. Brain in gear.

Since it's taken you three days to think of this dazzling riposte, I question whose cranial gearbox is in neutral.

MB, it's the Great Ouse Boating (or Boaters', not sure) Association.

There is (of was last time I looked) a mooring to let outside the Globe pub here in Upwell (Middle Levels). It formerly had a 57-footer (liveaboard) widebeam on it, so is quite spacious. Quite cheap too from what I heard. Ask Lesley the landlady or Duncan her husband.

Edited by Athy

If you have a permanent job on the area, and kids in school, you need security of tenure. If you need security of tenure, it's irresponsible to shack up in a boat on a leisure mooring. The marina owners should never have allowed this situation to arise, but the moorers are at least as much to blame that it has.

MP

Although I have some sympathy for the evicted liveaboards I also agree with MP. I'm a semi-legal liveaboard myself and I realise that I have no security of tenure. If the owner of the house I moor outside decides to sell up I may have to move so I have to stay flexible. As a single bloke I know I'll survive with or without a mooring, but I certainly wouldn't bring up kids on that basis.

Since it's taken you three days to think of this dazzling riposte, I question whose cranial gearbox is in neutral.

Hardly, old boy. I responded as soon as I saw it. Unlike some on here, I am not logged in all day and every day.

But your willingness to think the fable might be true displays a touching faith in every word uttered by Mr G, and a rather bleak view of your fellow man.

But, seeing what some of our fellow men have been up to recently, (Savile, Armstrong, various policemen) your outlook is perhaps understandable.

Did you go through Ely today ? Had to meet someone for lunch on the front.

Nope... Though there is a boat called rivendell at the fish n duck marina.... Though it doesn't say it on the side, the owner very enthusiastically told me as I went past once... Am up on the T+M now

Hardly, old boy. I responded as soon as I saw it. Unlike some on here, I am not logged in all day and every day.

But your willingness to think the fable might be true displays a touching faith in every word uttered by Mr G, and a rather bleak view of your fellow man.

I don't understand your somewhat contentious post. I simply asked if Roger's post was fact or fiction. How doea that imply a bleak view?

He still has not clarified, so I still don't know.

I don't understand your somewhat contentious post. I simply asked if Roger's post was fact or fiction. How doea that imply a bleak view?

He still has not clarified, so I still don't know.

You are prepared to believe that a large number of your fellow-countrymen are prepared to chat vacuously while a man is dying in front of their eyes. That's a bleak view.

As for clarification, I suggest you read the fable again and note the absurdities in the story, not the least of which is that the narrator himself did not rush in to help the victims.

Edited by George94

You are prepared to believe that a large number of your fellow-countrymen are prepared to chat vacuously while a man is dying in front of their eyes. That's a bleak view.

As for clarification, I suggest you read the fable again and note the absurdities in the story, not the least of which is that the narrator himself did not rush in to help the victims.

George, it was perhaps because the story was couched in the first person that I took it as gospel. Having, last year, escaped from a a fire which seriously damaged our home, I am susceptible to believing horror stories about fires, because I came within a few minutes of being a statistic - I was upstairs when the fire started downstairs and, by the grace of God, I went down from my office to make coffee and discovered the kitchen and dining room ablaze.

I am delighted that the story was fiction!

One can but hope - but it would be a long shot. Personally I'm not at all sure I'd want to support them anymore.

But Isleham are still only taking pretty boats with no dogs or children. One chap has been told his boat was the wrong colour!? Another couple were told they'd got a mooring but the offer was withdrawn afterwards - not sure why but they do have a dog.....

I don't see it as unreasonable to apply conditions on people applying for a mooring. I had to provide an current photo of my boat before being accepted at my mooring. I was also told that if I had a pet this was ok but if not, it was not permitted to acquire one. If a landowner has an attractive mooring and spends time, effort and money on keeping it so then I would see it as quite reasonable to make sure that tenants fit in with the type of community and that their boats match in and the moorings do not become overun with dogs.

I don't see it as unreasonable to apply conditions on people applying for a mooring. I had to provide an current photo of my boat before being accepted at my mooring. I was also told that if I had a pet this was ok but if not, it was not permitted to acquire one. If a landowner has an attractive mooring and spends time, effort and money on keeping it so then I would see it as quite reasonable to make sure that tenants fit in with the type of community and that their boats match in and the moorings do not become overun with dogs.

This attitude is coming close to the "No blacks, no Irish" signs seen in boarding-house windows in the 1960s.

• Greenie 1

Silly? Certainly not. Provide a photo of the boat? Tenants who "fit in" with the community? In other words, if you're like us you can join, if not, then clear off. If you buy a cat, you can clear off too. That is very much in the spirit of those long-ago boarding-house signs. What will be next? Interrogation about political views and religious faith of prospective moorers?