Ruthless Eviction of Liveaboards from Fens Marina

Roger Gunkel

Featured Posts

THis thread's really old! The marina in question is now accepting live aboards again, although all the resi moorings are now full.

don't you just hate it when that happens. I really need to watch the dates. Getting too old for fine print I guess. huh.png

I haven't read the whole 17 pages so forgive me if I am saying something already said but with that many being evicted, <snip>

Even so, best to read a thread in full before commenting or one can easily make oneself look silly. (Guess how I know this?)

Just sayin'...

smile.png

MtB

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

Even so, best to read a thread in full before commenting or one can easily make oneself look silly. (Guess how I know this?)

Just sayin'...

smile.png

MtB

Ha, funny. I do tend to get caught up in the banter before I actually look at the date of the earlier posts. Sometimes I am just a moron and sometimes I am just passionate about history. biggrin.png

I am also not telling how many times I have started to comment only to find the issues done and dusted....I used the delete button a lot when I first came here. cool.png

Slightly off topic, I've been living aboard now for over three years and I find it's getting harder and harder, especially now that CART has taken over. They seem to be hell bent on getting rid of livaboards and making our lives hard. I get the feeling that the shiny boat brigade has finally gotten their hands on the canals and want it for themselves. Look out for a new set of rules which will read' must earn over £100,000 a year to qualify for a boat license'. I feel that the canals, our heritage, is in danger of collapse, do these people running the CART have any idea or experience of living aboard I wonder?

Working people made the canals what they are today, maybe a trip to the boat museum would be good for them as they seem to have forgotten that!!!

Slightly off topic, I've been living aboard now for over three years and I find it's getting harder and harder, especially now that CART has taken over. They seem to be hell bent on getting rid of livaboards and making our lives hard. I get the feeling that the shiny boat brigade has finally gotten their hands on the canals and want it for themselves. Look out for a new set of rules which will read' must earn over £100,000 a year to qualify for a boat license'. I feel that the canals, our heritage, is in danger of collapse, do these people running the CART have any idea or experience of living aboard I wonder?

Working people made the canals what they are today, maybe a trip to the boat museum would be good for them as they seem to have forgotten that!!!

Oh - your observation strikes me as being rather unfortunate - - we're liveaboards - and haven't noticed anything becoming more difficult, what's causing the difficulties for you . . . ? - maybe other members here can help??

Been living aboard for over 20 years not really noticed a change, what's changed for you?

Tosh!!

And I suggest you check your history. Canals were built with the money from rich entrepeneurs, to make them more money. The "working people" were there to increase those profits.

I'm afraid your view leans a lot to the "romantic" side of canal life in the past.

Slightly off topic,

I think you might find very rich people and bankers made the canals what are they are today, working people dug them and worked them in their employ. Fair point that people from all backgrounds fought to preserve them.