Proposed Marina Onley

Ally

Featured Posts

If planning is approved & the new marina offers superior 'services' then those already moored at another local marina may consider the new marina a more suitable proposition if the numbers stack up. They might even get water in the winter if they need it!

I cannot believe people will pay so much to moor at Braunston. I think it is extremely poor value for money based on the what you get. 20 years out of date but in a deemed 'premium' location. I think Mr Coughlan is frightened of the oppostion, as simple as that.

I don't think the planners will approve, not for a 500+ berth anyway.

If planning is approved & the new marina offers superior 'services' then those already moored at another local marina may consider the new marina a more suitable proposition if the numbers stack up. They might even get water in the winter if they need it!

I cannot believe people will pay so much to moor at Braunston. I think it is extremely poor value for money based on the what you get. 20 years out of date but in a deemed 'premium' location. I think Mr Coughlan is frightened of the oppostion, as simple as that.

I don't think the planners will approve, not for a 500+ berth anyway.

The 'elephant in the room' being, of course, residential status for marina moorings.

The new marina may well be granted with specific exclusion of residential use, and consequently attention might be drawn to the fact that probably 25% of the boats on Braunston seem to be liveaboard, and enforcement notices are the last thing Tim would want.

Mike

In May this year UK Boating did a feature on Hillmorton Marina which at the moment berths 24 boats. In part II of the programme the director of the marina mentioned that he had applied for planning permission to extend the marina in the field next to the existing marina. This would, if built would have vacancies for another 120 boats, new offices, shower rooms etc.

I wonder with the apparent lack of impact that Barby has had on take up and prices in the area whether Onley will?

If any one builds a new marina I feel to attract moorers they need to have it up and running, all facilities promised, on day one or offer a cheaper introductory fee if not.

At Ventnor we are paying considerably less than Braunston and a little less than the quoted on line cost of £2,200.

Edited by Ray T

At Ventnor we are paying considerably less than Braunston and a little less than the quoted on line cost of £2,200.

Is Ventnor residential Ray?

Calcutt nearby are quite aggressively non-resi. Even so, there are still a couple of permanent liveaboards in there.

Is Ventnor residential Ray?

Calcutt nearby are quite aggressively non-resi. Even so, there are still a couple of permanent liveaboards in there.

Ventnor is non residential apart from the harbour master and staff. Ventnor's sister marina Wigrams Turn is residential.

We specifically chose Ventnor because it is non residential.

Having never enquired I don't know what, if any price differential there is between the two marinas.

Does Braunston have different tariffs for residential and non - residential?

Edited by Ray T

In May this year UK Boating did a feature on Hillmorton Marina which at the moment berths 24 boats. In part II of the programme the director of the marina mentioned that he had applied for planning permission to extend the marina in the field next to the existing marina. This would, if built would have vacancies for another 120 boats, new offices, shower rooms etc.

I wonder with the apparent lack of impact that Barby has had on take up and prices in the area whether Onley will?

If any one builds a new marina I feel to attract moorers they need to have it up and running, all facilities promised, on day one or offer a cheaper introductory fee if not.

I think Barby Moorings/Marina/Mess uptake was somehow relevant to the fact that it still looks like this

27042000868.jpg

even though people were promised the earth 3 years ago or more.

Ventnor is non residential apart from the harbour master and staff. Ventnor's sister marina Wigrams Turn is residential.

We specifically chose Ventnor because it is non residential.

Having never enquired I don't know what, if any price differential there is between the two marinas.

Does Braunston have different tariffs for residential and non - residential?

When we were looking a couple of years ago, Ventnor and Wigrams were exactly the same cost.

As to failing or succeeding on merit, I moor yards away from a 20 berth marina development which was abandoned over a year ago leaving a shallow excavation and spoil tips on what is green belt land.

It is currently up for sale but has no interest.

Where's that?

Nowhere near 25% of the boats on Braunston are liveaboards. More like fifteen. Fifteen boats, that is, not 15%. And they go out during the summer for several months and have home addresses, so possibly not what you'd class as living on the marina.

Edited by Starcoaster

so long as it frees up the towpaths then why object? the more marinas that open the lower the price of off line moorings will go!

Making online moorings more popular and thereby filling up the canals again.

Near Knowle on the GU. Specifically just south of bridge 69, diagonally opposite the Black Buoy pub.

Sales info

Ah yes, I've seen that advertised before.

Not surprised there isn't much interest. £25K+ per mooring for the land, before you have even put a spade in the ground does sounds to me a trifle expensive!

Ask Tim if he,s got residential moorings and you get a no or no answer !( know six boaters who have been after res moorings from him )Now he,s got the the nerve to say another marina is not required yet he cannot provide moorings for those who want them.Guess he thinks he should get any monies thats going or nobody should .

14skipper

AFAIK, the new Onley marina will not be residential either (may be wrong, if anyone knows different?)

Planning constraints etc. dictate a lot of marina's liveaboard policies, not necessarily the desires of the marina owners themselves.

Which is why a lot of marinas do not have any residentail moorers,just a lot of non residential live aboard moorers :blush:

14skipper

Yes. Part of why I am concerned over the phasing out of a lot of online moorings.

If you live on a boat and can't get an online mooring and no marina can or will take liveabords, where is everyone supposed to go?

A fair amount of marinas really don't allow liveaboards, and actively police this. Other charge a 'ransom' premium on top of the mooring fee and still ask their residents to live under the radar and with no security of tenure (or whatever the correct term is). This is why I think the removal of online moorings is not a good thing, aside from the fact that lots of liveabords really don't want to live in a marina.

I wonder whether Barby are already paying 9% based on the capacity to CRT , if so surely the receivers will be coming soon.

The payment is 9% of the gross mooring capacity multiplied by the

mooring rate (net of VAT) charged at the marina and is reviewed yearly.

Payments are phased as follows from the start of the agreement (this appears to be when the marina plans to open rather than actual opening date)-

1st year 0% capacity.

2nd year 50% capacity.

3rd year 100% capacity.

Payments are made 3 monthly by equal instalments in advance with interest charged on late payments.

I seem to recall that Barby was late opening so they might be on year two. Can anyone confirm the original opening date?

• 3 weeks later...

This is mainly for The Midlands rather than those oop Norf or darn Sarf.

I've just received a letter from K A Thursfield of Daventry District Council with regard to the proposed marina at Onley Fields Prison Farm. Onley Park. Barby, CV23 8AN, to give it its full title.

The gist is that K A Thursfield, Development Control Manager, and the Planning Committee will be considering this application on 31st October 2012 and their recommendations are for approval.

I personally have written a reply objecting to the proposal. An email is available for any interested party who wants to make a comment: emcdowell@daventrydc.gov.uk

Planning application No: DA/2012/0440

I emailed support for the application - mostly because I got so fed up with the constant stream of "letters to the editor eminating from a Mrs Trellis ofBraunston Marina", every time I opened a local newspaper or canal publication. Good healthy competition is always good for the customer.

• Greenie 1

I emailed support for the application - mostly because I got so fed up with the constant stream of "letters to the editor eminating from a Mrs Trellis ofBraunston Marina", every time I opened a local newspaper or canal publication. Good healthy competition is always good for the customer.

Good for you. They have held boaters to ransom for to long with some charging a none returnable fee to go on a waiting list etc. The more competition the better.

Have a Greeny.