single handling locks

dominicebs

Featured Posts

I think that must have been fixed. I single handed the Stourbridge 16 in mMay last year on the way to the BCLM tug weekend and don't remember having even a slight problem.

Or maybe it's cropped up since then!

MtB

well it was like it when i went up on route to Lapworth (was that June?) & it was still like it in October when we locked The Cat who walks... down

The mechanism is on the offside for the sake of the horses - or rather, to stop their tow rope being snagged. Of course, that was in the day when horses towed boats, and boats generally had 2 (or more) crew - the canal network was designed for this, not for today's single handers. In theory they don't really have to abide by this convention any more and could 'reverse' the side a mechanism is on for an electric swing bridge, but I imagine its an upgrade of a more traditional one and there might be physical constraints, or heritage/historical reasons, for keeping it as-is.

I have a problem envisioning electric bridges and horse drawn boats!

I'm sure the reason is exactly as stated - to prevent boaters leaving bridges up, and that would apply whether the bridges were electric or manual.

The mechanism is on the offside for the sake of the horses - or rather, to stop their tow rope being snagged. Of course, that was in the day when horses towed boats, and boats generally had 2 (or more) crew - the canal network was designed for this, not for today's single handers. In theory they don't really have to abide by this convention any more and could 'reverse' the side a mechanism is on for an electric swing bridge, but I imagine its an upgrade of a more traditional one and there might be physical constraints, or heritage/historical reasons, for keeping it as-is.

Carefull what you wish for, just think of the lift bridge at Thrupp

Rubbish!

You are benefiting other people as well as yourself.

Just because you can't grasp what people are trying to explain doesn't make you right.

I have never objected to closing a gate before setting a lock. The hardship is insignificant compared to being able to enter a lock without having to moor up and open a gate (or even have to set the lock and waste the "saved" water as the lock refills.)

I believe this should be filed alongside the "Widebeams use more water in a lock than narrowbeams" myth.

Some folk just cannot grasp it.

That's true if everybody does it. However as BW/CaRT's standard instructions state that one should normally shut the gates on canals, and most people stick by this, all it does it stitch up those who do what they've been told. They put the effort in, but others don't bother.

The good news about all gates being shut is that it's always equally inconvenient in both directions. The lock is always effectively half-set. As someone who likes to work through a lock without doubling back, I'd really much rather not have to shut the gate(s) the other end and then double back on myself. To me, every lock half set is better than every lock being all or nothing. It also makes journey planning much easier, because the average time per lock is more uniform.

The logic / mathematics only justify leaving gates open if it's adopted as standard practice. Otherwise the "leave gates open" boater will always encounter locks that are shut at both ends when they arrive, and they'll always leave them firmly set for or against the next boater, who will be expecting them half set and has been leaving them so for the rest of the day.

I agree that the logic stands if you can persuade CaRT to change their guidance, but in the meantime these are just "what ifs" with no real bearing on reality, so the theory is irrelevant.

When me and Mrs T were substantially younger and lighter we had an interesting experience my wife being both small and petite just managed to get the lift bridge to stay up by sitting up then there was a scream as my lass was catapulted into the air whilst the bridge took out the front chimney as we stuck underneath. Fortunately the only wound was her pride.

Walking down a flight of locks today & caught up with a single hander, boat in lock, preparing to descend.

Single hander draws bottom gate paddle

Me --- 'shall I close the gate for you?'

SH (thinking that I mean the bottom gates when he leaves) --- 'No thanks, I've been doing this for two years now'

Me --- 'You won't be going very far with the top gate open'

SH --- 'Oh shit, never done that before' as he runs to top gate.

Walking down a flight of locks today & caught up with a single hander, boat in lock, preparing to descend.

Single hander draws bottom gate paddle

Me --- 'shall I close the gate for you?'

SH (thinking that I mean the bottom gates when he leaves) --- 'No thanks, I've been doing this for two years now'

Me --- 'You won't be going very far with the top gate open'

SH --- 'Oh shit, never done that before' as he runs to top gate.

strangely enough, my method for the wide locks at the trent end of the T&M is opening a bottom paddle before walking up and closing the top gate. This is because if you try to close one gate, the other will open, especially at weston and ashton locks. it is also impossible to close all the gates at ashton unless you open a paddle at the other end.

Therefore I always leave one end open.

...especially at weston and ashton locks.

Yep. The one directly below the junction at Fradley is a right pain also.

Aren't all these gates which swing back open on the T&M those with an angle in the beam to avoid close bridge walls? I wonder if that messes up their balance?

You need to carry a short loop of rope and a karabiner to clip round the handrails of the two gates to hold them closed whilst you then walk to the other end and draw the paddles, remembering to go and reclaim your kit once the water is rising.

strangely enough, my method for the wide locks at the trent end of the T&M is opening a bottom paddle before walking up and closing the top gate. This is because if you try to close one gate, the other will open, especially at weston and ashton locks. it is also impossible to close all the gates at ashton unless you open a paddle at the other end.

Therefore I always leave one end open.

That's what I thought at first, until he went for the second paddle :unsure:

That's true if everybody does it. However as BW/CaRT's standard instructions state that one should normally shut the gates on canals, and most people stick by this, all it does it stitch up those who do what they've been told. They put the effort in, but others don't bother.

I waited to enter a lock and as soon as the boat in the lock left, coming towards me the crew closed the gates. Reasone. They had been told to always close the gates after leaving the lock.

• 2 weeks later...

The bottom lock at Camden Lock in London is a pain... one day just opens after you close it...tried half opening paddles no joy, at 5th attempt I was about to try to pull boat back to block the gate but a helpful person offered to close opposite gate. Voila stayed shut easily. We had real problems going down but there were 2 of us - I was trying the 3 locks by myself in twilight (well dark when I finished the 3. Given the regular use of all these locks some are a real pain to open/close - and, of course, you do have a audience.

Jump! The land's made you soft! ;)

Mike

Mike

I'll pay to see you do this at Tuel Lane on the Rochdale, the big concrete coffin. Your saving grace is it's a manned lock, or do you have one of those life jackets that self inflates to a parachute! :)

David

The good news about all gates being shut is that it's always equally inconvenient in both directions. The lock is always effectively half-set. As someone who likes to work through a lock without doubling back, I'd really much rather not have to shut the gate(s) the other end and then double back on myself. To me, every lock half set is better than every lock being all or nothing. It also makes journey planning much easier, because the average time per lock is more uniform.

The logic / mathematics only justify leaving gates open if it's adopted as standard practice. Otherwise the "leave gates open" boater will always encounter locks that are shut at both ends when they arrive, and they'll always leave them firmly set for or against the next boater, who will be expecting them half set and has been leaving them so for the rest of the day.

I agree that the logic stands if you can persuade CaRT to change their guidance, but in the meantime these are just "what ifs" with no real bearing on reality, so the theory is irrelevant.

Call me old fashioned but closing all gates surly preserves water levels in the upper pounds, taking your time, doing it properly and enjoying the ride is what we go boating for, leaving gates open is just done by the selfish who want to get there quickly with out a care for long term water levels, or the next boater along. I'm sure they never think "I will leave it open so the next boater can go straight in"

If you can not see another boat CLOSE IT

David

Call me old fashioned but closing all gates surly preserves water levels in the upper pounds, taking your time, doing it properly and enjoying the ride is what we go boating for, leaving gates open is just done by the selfish who want to get there quickly with out a care for long term water levels, or the next boater along. I'm sure they never think "I will leave it open so the next boater can go straight in"

If you can not see another boat CLOSE IT

David

Well I'd rather they did leave the gate open because when i come along, there is a 50/50 chance the gate open for me, not the 100% chance it will be closed your way.

And regarding all gates being closed saving water, that does not stand up to scrutiny either. But I don't suppose you'd bother to read and digest the reasons for this either ;)

MtB

Well I'd rather they did leave the gate open because when i come along, there is a 50/50 chance the gate open for me, not the 100% chance it will be closed your way.

And regarding all gates being closed saving water, that does not stand up to scrutiny either. But I don't suppose you'd bother to read and digest the reasons for this either ;)

MtB

I agree with Mike but until CaRT change their requirement I will continue to close them behind me.

• Greenie 2

MtB

Firstly don't suppose anything about me and I won't get into supposing anything about you.

Now lets look at this 50% myth, you and the author of this wild suggestion have made a schoolboy maths error,for this analogy to be true then an equal number of movements of boats would have to travel in opposite directions. You can not apply single item events to a network.

To make the calculation work you have to consider local conditions, what attracts people to go in what direction, is it a ring, what is the preferred direction, are there any hire company's and what is their main days of departure, etc. etc.

As you can see the 50% argument does not hold water, a bit like an open gate really!

Firstly don't suppose anything about me and I won't get into supposing anything about you.

Now lets look at this 50% myth, you and the author of this wild suggestion have made a schoolboy maths error,for this analogy to be true then an equal number of movements of boats would have to travel in opposite directions. You can not apply single item events to a network.

To make the calculation work you have to consider local conditions, what attracts people to go in what direction, is it a ring, what is the preferred direction, are there any hire company's and what is their main days of departure, etc. etc.

As you can see the 50% argument does not hold water, a bit like an open gate really!

I know that 90% of them wont be right regardless which way you are going because they will be nearly full or nearly empty and you will need to draw paddles to use them.

I know that 90% of them wont be right regardless which way you are going because they will be nearly full or nearly empty and you will need to draw paddles to use them.

Which I find far more annoying than closing an open gate.

There are a few locks that need all gates shutting but most I leave open. funnily enough, only people going the same way moan.

only people going the same way moan.

Isn't that strange. :lol: You must be very unpopular at rallies or near hire centres where numerous boats are travelling in one direction behind you!

Personally I shut all gates as BW/C&RT request. Very occasionally, if I can see that there are no boats coming the other way, after closing the gates I open the paddles to set the locks for the boats that I know to be behind me. Also occasionally close the gates for the boat ahead.

It never bothers me that I have to reset locks that are closed, or open gates which have been closed when the locks are in my favour. It is part of the territory, but SWMBO who will not steer and does most of the locks really detests the lone boater going down ahead leaving every lock open when it is clear that there is no traffic in the other direction and we are not only closing gates but starting to reset locks for boats we know are behind us. It is fortunate perhaps that because he leaves the gates open he has a speed advantage and is always far enough ahead to be out of earshot of SWMBO's verbal opinion! :D

Edited to add: The way we work it often means that boats behind catch up and are there ready to close the gates for us when we exit as SWMBO heads for the next lock.

Edited by Radiomariner
  • Greenie 1

Which I find far more annoying than closing an open gate.

There are a few locks that need all gates shutting but most I leave open. funnily enough, only people going the same way moan.

Chris, you would like it in Ireland, because this is the way we leave locks over there...in fact on the mechanised Shannon-Erne Waterway you have to!