single handling locks

dominicebs

Featured Posts

Depending on the design of the valves I can assure you that two closed leaky valves in series can leak at a higher rate than if one is left open and yes its all due to differential pressure across the valve seats and is normally only applicable to soft seated valves.

Depending on the design of the valves I can assure you that two closed leaky valves in series can leak at a higher rate than if one is left open and yes its all due to differential pressure across the valve seats and is normally only applicable to soft seated valves.

Yes Brian the second valve sucks!

LOL Luctor that is the spirit, there was one post on here that talked about opening paddles for next boat along, and being respectful and helping others, I'll keep looking back till I find it, but in the mean time if you find it give it a tick and let me know the post number.

Surely boating is about enjoying the life, not how quick we can I get through this lock and on to the next pub, is it not about helping each other?

That would be me I think. Post 249

Personally I shut all gates as BW/C&RT request. Very occasionally, if I can see that there are no boats coming the other way, after closing the gates I open the paddles to set the locks for the boats that I know to be behind me. Also occasionally close the gates for the boat ahead.

It never bothers me that I have to reset locks that are closed, or open gates which have been closed when the locks are in my favour. It is part of the territory, but SWMBO who will not steer and does most of the locks really detests the lone boater going down ahead leaving every lock open when it is clear that there is no traffic in the other direction and we are not only closing gates but starting to reset locks for boats we know are behind us. It is fortunate perhaps that because he leaves the gates open he has a speed advantage and is always far enough ahead to be out of earshot of SWMBO's verbal opinion! :D

Edited to add: The way we work it often means that boats behind catch up and are there ready to close the gates for us when we exit as SWMBO heads for the next lock.

Yes that's the one, agree 100% with your philosophy :cheers:

Yes this is what I was referring to when I said in the other thread that closing all the gates did not necessarily lead to a reduced leakage rate through the whole lock.

For starters, one could have gates which seal better when holding back a full head of water pressure. I often notice how gates bend and seal up better as the level in the lock rises. Leave a lock half empty with all gates closed and the gates top AND bottom could be partly sprung unsealed.

I spose I should be saying this in the other thread!

MtB

• 5 months later...

Single hand locking is often more fun and yes is easy, I learnt this last year on the Wolverhampton 21 where I realised the original steps were in the 'right' place and climbed the locks in what \I thought was a very good time < 3 hours on my first major trip out

Going down the Aston (Hospital) flight the boat was resting on the bottom gate and each time the lock emptied she nosed back each time enough to open the gates so I could pull her through

• 2 months later...

Just found some pictures of me single handing through Bell Weir lock on the Thames a couple of years ago. I used to call it Bell End Lock because the main lockkeeper was such a dickhead! laugh.png I was always grateful if the misery guts wasn't there when I arrived. How can someone be so miserable when that's their office?

DSC00539_zpsc9125fbf.jpg

DSC00551_zpsd144e8e6.jpg

The lock was on self-service at the time and I was the only boat in there so I had to operate the sluices as well which can be a bit tricky when you're on your own, but I managed to persuade an onlooker to close the bottom gates behind me.

DSC00553_zpse4711bd8.jpg

DSC00554_zpsa1f17e1d.jpg

If I see someone taking pictures of my boat I always ask them if they can email me a couple of shots. I've had a few good ones that way.

Edited by blackrose

• 5 weeks later...

[quote name="luctor et emergo" post="937967" timestamp="1347440473"

Deep locks need a bit more care. Take your centre line bankside, but only to maake sure that you can get the boat back, if she decides to float into the middle of the lock.... :rolleyes:

put the boat to one side of the lock, step or climb onto the side, and open the ground paddle' on the boats' side ( when going up) first. Usually, quickly, but no more than half way up. This should let the wash pin your boat to the wall,.

:cheers:

That is sound advise and I wish I had read that a few weeks ago before our first trip on the K&A. We were ok when two boats traveling in the locks but had some problems when it was just the one boat in a broad lock going up hill! I had read about only opening one side of the paddles so the boat was pinned to the wall, unfortunately we first tried with the opposite side paddle.....

Took us a few locks to get it fine tuned! Slower is defiantly better:-)

Just found some pictures of me single handing through Bell Weir lock on the Thames a couple of years ago. I used to call it Bell End Lock because the main lockkeeper was such a dickhead! :lol: I was always grateful if the misery guts wasn't there when I arrived. How can someone be so miserable when that's their office?

DSC00539_zpsc9125fbf.jpg

DSC00551_zpsd144e8e6.jpg

The lock was on self-service at the time and I was the only boat in there so I had to operate the sluices as well which can be a bit tricky when you're on your own, but I managed to persuade an onlooker to close the bottom gates behind me.

DSC00553_zpse4711bd8.jpg

DSC00554_zpsa1f17e1d.jpg

If I see someone taking pictures of my boat I always ask them if they can email me a couple of shots. I've had a few good ones that way.

A lovely looking boat their Blackrose!