single handling locks

dominicebs

Featured Posts

No, I don't tie up and I don't go back to the boat so the saving is negligible

As the topic is single handling boats in locks, do you mean you have some sort of electronic zapper device to operate the boat from the towpath? I can see how you can nudge the bottom gates open going uphill, if the lock is actually completely empty, but doing it at the top gates going downhill must be a bit tricky? :rolleyes:

I think I have got this right. I first saw it explained by another member on here months ago. Apologies if this has already been said in this thread.

If everyone closes exit gates:

Open gates

Enter

Close gates

Open gates

exit

Close gates

=4 sets of gates operated

If everyone leaves exit gates open:

Lock is with you

Enter

Close

Open

Exit

=2 sets of gates operated

Lock is against you

Close

Open

Enter

Close

Open

Exit

=4 sets of gates operated

Leaving environmental issues to one side, as far as I can see, if everybody left gates open, we would all be operating 25% less gates.

Edited to add. I have not yet got up the courage to do the Stort single handed yet. I found the Lee tricky enough.

Edited by LoneEcho

These bins were of course half filled with the ash from peoples fireplaces, sort of wrapped up in newspaper and if it was at all windy the dustman would invariably get a face full of ash when emptying into the dustcart. :mellow:

Of his shoulder into a sliding hatch , none of your fancy hybolicks.

Of his shoulder into a sliding hatch , none of your fancy hybolicks.

That's it, the dustcarts had the curved sliding hatches on both sides. a bit like a bread bins curved shutter.

Dinky toys made quite a nice die-cast Bedford model of one in a sort of buff colour and green wheels with a winder at the side to tip the body up to empty it.

Commer Bantams were a favorite dustcart with councils.

I can see the logic in ergonomics put forward re leaving locks open however the point here surely is not ergonomics, helping other boaters, saving work, increasing locking speed or whatever - it's preservation of the navigation channel.

Basically, the longer you can keep water in a pound, all other things being equal, the more water is available to aid locking when any particular boater comes along.

Sure, for every individual circumstance (there will be a infinite numbers of these) there will be an individual optimum ergonomic or efficient solution to get boats through lock with least grief or work (there will be corresponding infinite solutions). That's a different subject - common sense should apply at the time - leave gates open if it has a clear and immediate benefit.

However, as a general rule, keeping two sets of gates closed will, preserve water levels for longer preserving the navigation channel when taken as an overall philosophy for the whole waterways.

Mark

Edited by mark99
  • Greenie 1

As the topic is single handling boats in locks, do you mean you have some sort of electronic zapper device to operate the boat from the towpath? I can see how you can nudge the bottom gates open going uphill, if the lock is actually completely empty, but doing it at the top gates going downhill must be a bit tricky? :rolleyes:

Back in post 159 I said "O.K. This is a thread about single handing, and in that context Carl is no doubt right.

But single handers are a minority. Much more common is a crew of two, one steering and one working the lock. In that case you don't moor up - just get off the boat and go and get the lock ready and the steerer brings it in."

If single handers do it one way and the rest do it differently ... ?

That's it, the dustcarts had the curved sliding hatches on both sides. a bit like a bread bins curved shutter.

Dinky toys made quite a nice die-cast Bedford model of one in a sort of buff colour and green wheels with a winder at the side to tip the body up to empty it.

Commer Bantams were a favorite dustcart with councils.

Shall we start on the night soil with a tanker back and a hatch in the top right at the back.

The GU south locks i find are ideal for single handers what with the gate catwalks and steps at lock tails. Unless a gate is open for me i don't drive in, i haul the boat in and out by rope i find it quicker.

Edited by bizzard

Shall we start on the night soil with a tanker back and a hatch in the top right at the back.

I don't remember those DC, ''for emptying cess pits?''. I was brought up in town that had sewers.

The old Commer dustcarts were of course built by Rootes group and used the old Humber Hawk petrol engine, originally the SV one as did the 3 wheeled Scammell Scarab mechanical horse artic tractors as used mainly by BR for local deliveries.

Its always a bit daunting to a solo boater going up to or down from Tring as most of the bloomin locks through Hemel and Berko ect are bloomin well within sight of each other. If your not feeling well they can drive you around the bend, indeed if they were around the bend and out of sight of one another it would make you feel a lot perkier.

Beeston Iron Lock. Shropshire Union.

Anyone any tips for doing this one single handed?

If you have to bow haul in and out, how do you cope with the footbridge just below the lower lockgates? Boat hook for the towing line?

yup

going down I jumped onto the roof from sitting on the lockside

going up was more tricky but from that awkward landing stage i shoved the boat out & hauled it in & used my boathook to grab the centreline from the under the other side of the bridge

These bins were of course half filled with the ash from peoples fireplaces, sort of wrapped up in newspaper and if it was at all windy the dustman would invariably get a face full of ash when emptying into the dustcart. :mellow:

Infinitely more acceptable than disposeable nappies though . I'm sure

After reading this topic.

I'm kind of glad I still just have to hire a boat.

I have enough bother with 2 of us at a lock, never mind single handing

But I'd love a go lol

I'm boating single handed and witness the best way to get through is have a maid do all the locks and running for you. Yer man stays on the boat and sends his maid to do the work. Oh, he usually insists she ties up the boat too.

So gates, open or shut, are not a problem for most boaters.

I'm boating single handed and witness the best way to get through is have a maid do all the locks and running for you. Yer man stays on the boat and sends his maid to do the work. Oh, he usually insists she ties up the boat too.

So gates, open or shut, are not a problem for most boaters.

A Goblin teasmaid. :unsure:

People have raised flaws in your logic throughout this thread but you just cannot grasp them.

There is no point repeating them.

It is also pure common sense that you follow local advice, particularly at a "flood lock".

If the following boats leave the gates open then they have done no extra work but have had to moor up once less often...Helpful.

Eh? The only person I can see who sticks to their outdated mantra is you. But I repeat, is there a flaw in my logic or are you just too set in your ways?

To me, you are being selfish by closing the gates when it simply isn't necessary. Please step down from the moral highground you think you are standing on. 'Ettiquette' is no substitute for common sense in my version of the world. People have explained over and over again why they are helping people by leaving gates open. It's not their fault if you aren't processing that.

Rubbish. See my post about boats coming the sane way as you. Keaving gates open gives them extra worko

Rubbish. See my post about boats coming the sane way as you. Keaving gates open gives them extra worko

Not if they also leave the gates open when they leave. It only becomes more work when you follow what is thought to be CaRT guidelines/ requirement of how you leave locks. If we all do the same thing no one does more than they are doing now, but some do less some of the time.

But I repeat, is there a flaw in my logic or are you just too set in your ways?

There is a flaw in your logic but, as I have said before, you can't grasp the point that so many, including myself, have made and I am weary of repeating myself.

No point going round in circles so I'll leave others to maybe rephrase the obvious in a way that you can understand.