single handling locks

dominicebs

Featured Posts

Then he gains no benefit just as if you close the gate.

If he is travelling in the opposite direction then you spare him mooring up and having to open the gate.

Hence the 50/50 chance of doing someone a favour.

Opening a gate isn't really any hardship, if you have to moor up anyway, but saving someone mooring up to open a gate is a real benefit.

The way you explained how you use a lock single handed it appears you dont need to moor up, "Take the boat into the tail of the lock, leaving it in gear, just ticking over. Then hop off,"

and then you are happy to leave a paticularly leaky lock to it during the day? Do you also use you judgement about how busy the waterway is? the time of the year? if its a weekday or a weekend? the captains age?

Yes I use my judgement in all aspects of my life.

Don't you?

- If the lock is set against you, you'd need to get off anyway to turn it, so you'd be off the boat anyway.

I realise I should have introduced myself before making a post but I will do that next.

Paul appears to see getting of the boat as the only problem. May I speak for those of us of a certain age and with a bit of an infirmity. I have hip problem and walking can at times be painful. The last thing I need is to have to walk the extra length of the lock to close the gates if I don't have to.

To me leaving both sets of gates closed does a couple of things.

a) Potentially saves water. NB Potentially

Leaves the lock in a condition which is fair to those going either way and not disadvantageous to those of us with some disability.

Apologies for breaking what appears to be the forum protocol of not introducing myself but I will go and do that now.

The way you explained how you use a lock single handed it appears you dont need to moor up, "Take the boat into the tail of the lock, leaving it in gear, just ticking over. Then hop off,"

So?

I am benefiting other people by leaving the gates open, as well as myself.

I don't see the point you're making.

Paul appears to see getting of the boat as the only problem. May I speak for those of us of a certain age and with a bit of an infirmity. I have hip problem and walking can at times be painful. The last thing I need is to have to walk the extra length of the lock to close the gates if I don't have to.

But the benefits of approaching a lock set in your favour, gates open, balances out the slight disadvantage of walking an extra 80 odd feet.

accepting a rule which is beneficial for everyone, but inconveniences me is a form of judgement.

So I go through the minor incovenience of closing both sets of gates hoping those who have less experience (hirers etc) will replicate.

accepting a rule which is beneficial for everyone, but inconveniences me is a form of judgement.

So I go through the minor incovenience of closing both sets of gates hoping those who have less experience (hirers etc) will replicate.

It isn't beneficial for everyone, though.

The point is, the advantage is only to yourself by not closing the gates when leaving the lock

Not at all.

It is to the advantage of the next boat to use the lock, if it is travelling in the opposite direction to me.

I realise I should have introduced myself before making a post but I will do that next.

Leaves the lock in a condition which is fair to those going either way and not disadvantageous to those of us with some disability.

Apologies for breaking what appears to be the forum protocol of not introducing myself but I will go and do that now.

Ok no worries, let me expand it a little:

Leaving gates open

Boat A leaves it open. Saving: moor up, close gate

50% chance that Boat B arrives at lock in opposite direction. Saving: moor up, open gate

50% chance that Boat B arrives at lock in SAME direction. Saving: none. Defecit: closing gate

However you work it out, the net overall saving is of 50% of gate opening/closings and 75% of moorings up.

EDIT another factor is that with both gates closed, there is a less than 50% chance that the lock is in your favour. I've seen that many leaky locks, that their level will have dropped or increased by a foot or so (or more, maybe all the lock!) anyway. So you'd need to turn a lock which should have been in your favour, etc. Taking this into account....gets complicated, but basically favours the approach for leaving gates open.

I am sure a case could be make for duplicated locks too, where the disadvantages start affecting only 25% of other boaters. Heck, if you single hand a duplicated lock and its quiet, you could open the gates of the other lock while you're filling/emptying yours! (If both locks were in your favour...)

Just an opinion, but if lock gates are left open, i think the boater is selfish,and sod other people,you are doing it for your benefit,and your justifications are just an excuse for leaving work for other people,and causes annoyance to other people,but thats the way some people are, so we just put up with it.

The point is, the advantage is only to yourself by not closing the gates when leaving the lock

No No No!!!

It benefits every other boat too, really it does. You need to sit down in a quiet room and run all the scenarios through your mind. Eventually all will be revealed!

Just an opinion, but if lock gates are left open, i think the boater is selfish,and sod other people,you are doing it for your benefit,and your justifications are just an excuse for leaving work for other people,and causes annoyance to other people,but thats the way some people are, so we just put up with it.

Rubbish!

You are benefiting other people as well as yourself.

Just because you can't grasp what people are trying to explain doesn't make you right.

I have never objected to closing a gate before setting a lock. The hardship is insignificant compared to being able to enter a lock without having to moor up and open a gate (or even have to set the lock and waste the "saved" water as the lock refills.)

No No No!!!

It benefits every other boat too, really it does. You need to sit down in a quiet room and run all the scenarios through your mind. Eventually all will be revealed!

I believe this should be filed alongside the "Widebeams use more water in a lock than narrowbeams" myth.

Some folk just cannot grasp it.

What about when you reach the foot of a flight and the boat just clearing the flight has closed everything. Now you have to get off and undo every exit closure that they made. Pointless work for them, pointless work for you!

Its like digging a hole to fill it in again. Wasn't that part of National Service, perhaps thats where people learned such practices?1 lol

So you have not only caused more inconvenience to yourself but also to others. Leaving the gate open will prevent you the inconvenience of having to close it and, if someone comes along in the opposite direction, the inconvenience of them have to re-open the gate you have just closed.

Should someone come along in the same direction as you, they will have to get off the boat anyway to turn the lock so shutting the gate at the same time is no great inconvenience. What little inconvenience there is, is far outweighted by the fact that when they leave the lock they won't have to stop, get off the boat, close the gate etc etc

Nothing I like better than to come around a corner and see a lock with the gate(s) open. However when I find a gate at the opposite end open, that's fine too. I know that as long as I also leave the gate open when I depart, I have still done less work than having to open and close everything and that I have saved others time too (both the boat that has gone ahead and the next user of the lock).

I go through the major convenience of leaving gates open in the hope that those who have less experience will replicate.

Nonsense. It makes less work for others and yourself.

That makes no sense at all. I does not in anyway disadvantage you. Quite the opposite in fact.

Whilst I agree with most of Carl's lock process, it won't work coming up Bradford on Avon lock, as there is no way in which you can put the boat in the lock, and get off the boat. You will have to moor at the landing, outside the cafe, and walk up to the lock, crossing the busy road, to set the lock. You then have to walk back, to get your boat. No change to leave the boat in tick over to walk into the lock, or use a line to pull. I can also see problems with several of the locks in Bath...

Whilst I agree with most of Carl's lock process, it won't work coming up Bradford on Avon lock, as there is no way in which you can put the boat in the lock, and get off the boat. You will have to moor at the landing, outside the cafe, and walk up to the lock, crossing the busy road, to set the lock. You then have to walk back, to get your boat. No change to leave the boat in tick over to walk into the lock, or use a line to pull. I can also see problems with several of the locks in Bath...

I agree.

I still didn't use a ladder, though.

its custom and practise to close the gates, just do it and stop thinking of excuses for being lazy, or we can all do our own thing and sod everyone else

Your inability to grasp the reasoning as to why it is advantageous to leave the gate open, when exiting a lock, is no excuse for being rude.

By closing the gate you are inconveniencing yourself and others but you just can't see it.

No need to resort to insults though, surely?

I know, Carl simply levitates... B)

No, I hung around for someone to accompany my boat through while I stayed bankside and worked the lock.

Edited by carlt

No No No!!!

Please reveal to me now how my having to limp a longer distance benefits me. I would love to know as I don't have a room quiet enough for me to work that one out.

Please reveal to me now how my having to limp a longer distance benefits me. I would love to know as I don't have a room quiet enough for me to work that one out.

You spend less time using your dodgy hip to push gates and climb on and off your boat - significantly less time!

In your case the benefits and disadvantages balance themselves out.

In more able bodied folk the benefits outweigh the disadvantages.

so custom and practise is wrong 99% of boaters are wrong, your right and everyone should change to suit your theorum, yeah I see it,we are stupid your intelligent,sorry for thinking any different to you, im sure you may annoy people though, but thats just my opinion based on experience.

its custom and practise to close the gates, just do it and stop thinking of excuses for being lazy, or we can all do our own thing and sod everyone else

It is not, I will not and I am not, do your own thing, but it is making you and every other boater do more.......

I will always close one gate in a wide lock (if it has been opened during my use), however, to do both is just a waste of energy and time.

there is no more welcome sight to a single hander (apart from the pub)than a gate open as you approach a lock.