Boat Identification

RogerM

Featured Posts

I wondered if this forum's working boat aficionados may be able to help identify the following boats:

http://canalsidecamera.weebly.com/identification-parade.html

Any help much appreciated.

On a related note, does anyone know the identity of the big ricky butty that has lain sunken for some years near Cropredy? Tooley's were keen on raising it and restoring it a few years ago but for whatever reason it has bever happened. BBC article here:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/oxfordshire/6078776.stm

Cheers,

Roger

I wondered if this forum's working boat aficionados may be able to help identify the following boats:

On a related note, does anyone know the identity of the big ricky butty that has lain sunken for some years near Cropredy? Tooley's were keen on raising it and restoring it a few years ago but for whatever reason it has bever happened. BBC article here:

Cheers,

Roger

Number 4 is Guccco Town class motor Shirley owned by forum member NB Alton. The location is Hazlehurst/Denford on the Caldon Canal.

Tim

Edited by Tim Lewis

Number 4 is Guccco Town class motor Shirley owned by forum member NB Alton. The location is Hazlehurst/Denford on the Caldon Canal.

Tim

Thanks Tim. Great info. Is Fulbourne yours? I used a picture of her to head the working boats page:

http://canalsidecamera.weebly.com/working-narrowboats.html

#9 is Jackal and Hereford I believe owned by the Deuchars and based at Trent Lock, #11 is Heron, recently in the BW auctions and lying at Norbury.

HTH

Regards

Dan

Edit for spilling!

Great stuff. I thought #11 would be a long shot so really pleased for this identification :-)

Edited by RogerM

Photo number 1 is Ricky motor boat Umbriel, Photo number 3 is big Woolwich motor Epsom, Photo number 6 is big Woolwich pair Darley and Alperton, photo number 7 is Big Northwich motor Otley and little Woolwich butty Moon, photo number 10 is an ex Bantock BCN day boat that has been converted to a motor boat, originally it would have had a number and not a name, Photo number 11 is the back end of a W J Yarwood & Sons station boat used for a bow section and I think it is called Heron.

Photo number 1 is Ricky motor boat Umbriel, Photo number 3 is big Woolwich motor Epsom, Photo number 6 is big Woolwich pair Darley and Alperton, photo number 7 is Big Northwich motor Otley and little Woolwich butty Moon, photo number 10 is an ex Bantock BCN day boat that has been converted to a motor boat, originally it would have had a number and not a name, Photo number 11 is the back end of a W J Yarwood & Sons station boat used for a bow section and I think it is called Heron.

Blossom! Thanks mate. You helped me loads on the old site which I lost. Many thanks once again!

Edited by RogerM

Cheers,

Roger

N0 8 is definitely ALTON.

George ex nb Alton retired

N0 8 is definitely ALTON.

George ex nb Alton retired

Just met Graham , featured on Alton, this morning on his way to tend Daphne.

No 5 is Queen ,on the Ashton canal, belonging to Wooden Canal Boat Society, in this picture, the landward side was having "ice plating" steel sheets *bolted* through the planking full length. When I saw her the other day, she looked very wilted indeed.

Bill

Cheers,

Roger

Photo number 10 might just be "Harry", which, with a full length conversion, was moored in Kingsland Basin, Hackney for a number of years. When sold, the new owner sadly neglected to have a survey done, and shortly afterwards, after being drydocked for blacking, a rivet broke as the dock was being refilled. Remedial action was taken to prevent sinking, but the hull was found to be in a sorry state. Subsequently resold, the new owner had her taken to WFB (wrecking the 3 cylinder Dorman on the way due to lack of cooling water), where the hull was found to be in such a state that only the bow section was worth salvaging.A virtual rebuild and a new engine (a JP2)ensued. A sad story, but a nice looking boat now.

Cheers,

Roger

You have correctly identified photograph 12 as DANE and CLARA. The CLARA in the photograph is not the F.M.C. Ltd. CLARA but is the former S.U.R.C.Co. wooden horse boat BRIER 591. This boat subsequently passed to L.M.S.R.Co. as BRIER 8 and then to Malcolm Braine. Following conversion it was sold and has been based on the South Oxford Canal from the mid 1950's until quite recently.

F.M.C. Ltd. CLARA has a known history and is definitely a different boat.

The sunken boat above Broadmoor Lock near Cropredy is the former G.U.C.C.Co. Ltd. Large Ricky butty LANGHO. LANGHO has been at Broadmoor Lock since 1990

I have also had a quick look at some of your G.U.C.C.Co. Ltd. photographs on your website. There is a photograph of Gas Street Basin in the 1970's where you claim the boats to be COMET and SIRIUS. This is incorrect as the boats are in fact HAWKESBURY and SIRIUS when owned / operated by the McGavin's. HAWKESBURY is a Large Woolwich whereas COMET is a Small Woolwich.

Heron was at Norbury. It went for auction but don't know if it was sold.

I think the converted Bantock is Electra.

photo number 7 is Big Northwich motor Otley and little Woolwich butty Moon,

Although OTLEY and MOON had been paired together at Braunston during the period 1997 - 2001 by the time 'photograph number 7' was taken both boats had changed hands. In 'photograph number 7' OTLEY is paired with another former G.U.C.C.Co. Ltd. Small Woolwich butty, CYGNUS. These two Small Woolwich butty's can easily be told apart as MOON was fitted with a full length steel cabin conversion in 1997 / 1998.

Edited by pete harrison

All 12 boats identified in the space of 24 hours! Thank you so much to eveyone who has helped. Now they are identified I'll be moving the pictures onto the appropriate pages on the site so the link in my original post will no longer be active, however the link to my working boats page is here:

http://canalsidecamera.weebly.com/working-narrowboats.html

Many thanks again to one and all.

Roger

• 4 weeks later...

#14 is (I think) Newbury one of two motors that (the late)John and Maddy Forth had for running their coal business. They always said the two motors were more convenient than a motor and butty. I think both were built for them, The other motor was named Newdigate. They would spend a lot of time at Hawkesbury moored just into the Oxford Canal on the towpath side. They later moved to Stockton on the GU. I also think that the building alongside the canal is the Blue Lias Pub before it was developed into the watering hole we know today.

Unless of course someone knows better.

Roger I notice in your album you have a section on FMC boats. If you are into collecting other people's photos, you might be interested in these. The two boats (hulls) were built side by side under the same order number by W J Yarwood of Northwich in 1929. Panther was delivered to Saltley for completion, whilst Python was taken to Uxbridge for fitting out. The photographs were taken on the first occasion since that time (as far a we know) that they were together, celebrating their eightieth year. Panther as can be seen is owned the Coventry Canal Society and is used regularly as a rubbish boat collecting same from the Coventry Canal. Python is in the hands of the Chesterfield Canal Society who use her as an educational craft.

DSCN0452.jpg

DSCN0447.jpg

DSCN0444.jpg

DSCN0441-1.jpg

I own the copyrite so feel free to use them or not as you wish. I have a bette picture of Panther if you want it.

braunston2005crop.jpg

Tony.

#14 is (I think) Newbury one of two motors that (the late)John and Maddy Forth had for running their coal business. They always said the two motors were more convenient than a motor and butty. I think both were built for them, The other motor was named Newdigate. They would spend a lot of time at Hawkesbury moored just into the Oxford Canal on the towpath side. They later moved to Stockton on the GU. I also think that the building alongside the canal is the Blue Lias Pub before it was developed into the watering hole we know today.

Unless of course someone knows better.

Location is outside Boat Inn Cottage, between All Oaks Wood and Newbold.

Previous photo: Siberia on the outside is ex BCN day boat, converterted for camping use by WFBCo c1982, originally with steel back cabin and cloths followed shortly afterwards by the wooden top seen in the photo. At a guess the butty on the inside is Bakewell. Location is just below Shop Lock, Stockton.

I've added a few more boats for identification. As before, any help would be much appreciated.

Roger

I may be wrong but I think number three is not a working boat at all but a "deconverted" "Rugby Boats" hull with a Roger Farringdon back cabin and undertarp liveaboard fit out.

Then again these metal boats all look alike, to me. :unsure:

If I'm right it is now moored on my old mooring at Wolfhampcote.

Edited by carlt

I can help with one that's on your site.

The boat you identify as 90% certain as Admiral "Frobisher" definitely is.

It was much, (very MUCH!), modified by Malcolm Braine in the mid 1970s - originally carrying a typical Braine timber and Masonite cabin, and, IIRC, powered by a BMC 1500.

There was a Waterways World review of it, upon completion.

is No.16 former butty Achilles? which has recently been converted into a motor there?

Newbury used to run with "Meteor" which they sold to my parents via UCC in the early nineties, and then had "Newdigate" built.

Regards

Dan

is No.16 former butty Achilles? which has recently been converted into a motor there?

Newbury used to run with "Meteor" which they sold to my parents via UCC in the early nineties, and then had "Newdigate" built.

Regards

Dan

I did wonder if it might be Achilles (or half of it at least). Sounds promising.

Thanks for all the other input as well.

Roger I notice in your album you have a section on FMC boats. If you are into collecting other people's photos, you might be interested in these. The two boats (hulls) were built side by side under the same order number by W J Yarwood of Northwich in 1929. Panther was delivered to Saltley for completion, whilst Python was taken to Uxbridge for fitting out. The photographs were taken on the first occasion since that time (as far a we know) that they were together, celebrating their eightieth year. Panther as can be seen is owned the Coventry Canal Society and is used regularly as a rubbish boat collecting same from the Coventry Canal. Python is in the hands of the Chesterfield Canal Society who use her as an educational craft.

DSCN0452.jpg

DSCN0447.jpg

DSCN0444.jpg

DSCN0441-1.jpg

I own the copyrite so feel free to use them or not as you wish. I have a bette picture of Panther if you want it.

braunston2005crop.jpg

Tony.

Thanks Tony, that's very kind. I would like to use a couple of them on the site.

Roger