What do you like about living onboard?

Clarity

Featured Posts

Everything!!! Been onboard over a month now and even though im run ragged as its pretty much a complete self fit out, it somehow seems a much more relaxed way of life (I know it sounds cliched and it appears that everyone says the same thing, but it's true!)

I feel more at home here now than I ever have done anywhere else. Always used to have trouble sleeping and would constantly worry about things. Since being on the boat, my sleeping is fine and don't seem to have any worries. Just feel really happy despite everything being completely in chaos at the moment! It's like I've arrived "home"

My favourite things about living on board:-

1. The stove (missed having one from when I had one in my very first house and then sold it to live in an apartment)

2. The rain on the roof (absolutely love being in bed at night and hearing the rain pitter patter down onto the roof. Something really comforting about it)

3. The new kitchen I'm in the process of fitting - solid oak cupboards, doors, and worktops, to match the walls, ceiling lol etc (sounds boring an unoriginal maybe, but keeping it simple like that and not mixing colours and finishes etc really does produce a stunning finish - it looks AMAZING)

4. The canals (of course!) and all the geese and swans that are constantly outside the hatch whenever I open it

5. All the work a boat entails - OK I don't understand a lot of it, and no expert really in any area whatsoever, but I'm enjoying learning and enjoying having a bash at things, that, without a boat, I would never have had a bash at before!

• Greenie 1

My favourite things about living on board:-

1. Being under no pressure from anyone else to do anything. With nobody else on board I can go to bed at any time of the day or night and arise likewise. Being retired helps. I can make things, decide I don't like them, and unmake them again. So far I've laid the floor three times. I can stand on my head and wave my toes in the air. Or whatever. No consultations or booking required.

2. The rain on the roof is good, isn't it!

3. The newness of everything. The furniture and fittings I'm making, in some cases like nobody has seen on this earth before, I'm that good (not). The scenery outside, that I have never seen before (at least not in the last ten years which was when I last hired a boat). Even the weather. As a Londoner I am not used to seeing real weather.

4. ETA No TV!

My unfavourite things about living on board:-

1. Knowing in the back of my mind that I must move every 14 days, even though this has never been a problem yet.

2. Having to paint the damn thing!

3. The slow pace at which I succeed in providing essential services (such as a pump-out toilet). OK, consistency is not my strong point.

4. The difficulty of getting construction materials to the boat. Oh for the days when I had a car that could take 8 x 4ft boards!

5. Ice on the canal.

Edited by system 4-50

been cc-ing for four years, and still not caught up to me boat.......feck/.

crap lifestyle,

don't do it.

really, there isn't enuff room on the canals,

(apparently),

and its illegal (according to some)...

but you could always look at me photos :cheers:

waking up and spending a few seconds working out where we moored the boat the night before

even harder to do when one is sober...

Can be a bit of a bugger on a dark morning when letting the dogs out, once or twice rather than a rustle of grass there has been a load plop :o It's not just use who get confused where we moor :lol: I am sure I have shown more of me than wanted whilst fishing the pooch out wearing a dressing gown :blush:

Just curious to know what people like about the lifestyle?

Hi

I love the compactness or even efficiency of a narrow boat.

I can watch the TV while washing the pots.

From my chair the bathroom is 3 steps away - The bedroom 5. The kettle/fridge 5. The back deck 7.

I cant help with the cooking because there is only room for one in the galley.

Because of that I can go fishing - I can even watch the TV and fish, if the fishing's crap- no problem.

I sleep better on the boat - its so cosy. Even better when its raining.

It takes about 20 minutes to clean the whole boat living area - about once a fortnight.

I can spend all day on it and in total walk about 50 steps.

Brilliant

Although I do love walking ------ but that's for days out

Alex

Jeez thanks for all your responses - i am sold. I find myself in a strange situation - I am considering buying a narrow boat to live on (if I can find mooring in yorkshire) however I have never set foot on a narrow boat. How strange is that : )

Sitting on my tug deck early in the morning drinking a cup of coffee and feeling utterly at peace with the world. This is magnified a million times if I've persuaded the Rayburn to stay in overnight.

What is the problem? ours stayed in for weeks/months.

Sue

Jeez thanks for all your responses - i am sold. I find myself in a strange situation - I am considering buying a narrow boat to live on (if I can find mooring in yorkshire) however I have never set foot on a narrow boat. How strange is that : )

Hi

Try a holiday on one first - Summer and Winter

Alex

And I brand new one too. It's the only thing I am seriously jealous about your new boat Jill.

But surely it should stay in with one lump of coal and rekindle with a whisper in the morning?

It does, Chris. I was attempting to be funny - although I must say a longer flue will improve things this winter!

It isn't strange at all, we regularly get new members in the same position as you.

The general advice, which I agree with, is to go and get some experience before spending too much money. It's important to check if the reality matches your dreams

Richard

That's pretty much what happened to me about thi stime last year - although I bought a couple of months before moving on.

I find the people are great - friendly and helpful

Being so much closer to nature

Waking up in winter and hearing the ice crack as your boat rocks is fantastic

Falling asleep to the sound of creaking ropes

Mostly the feeling of being on holiday as soon as I get home - seven days a week and 52 weeks a year

• Greenie 1