What do you like about living onboard?

Clarity

Featured Posts

I always ask before I touch someone's dog, it's polite and of course it's worth checking in case it bites! If the dog is loose and comes up to me though I always pet it, as if it's running loose they must expect that!

Cats I always stop and pet, it's only polite. I'd never pick up someone's cat without asking though, thats just rude! Petting it on it's own terms though I think is fair game cos it can always bugger off if it dislikes you!

Kids, I try to steer well clear of... Grubby little things!

I've been living on so far for three days and here's my list so far!

Things I like-

1. The slight swaying.

2. The coziness.

3. The stove (even though it's not lit, I like the idea of it! :lol: )

4. The people.

5. Feeding the swans and ducks off the stern.

6. The fact some random cat that is clearly well fed has already spotted a mug in it's midst and has called for me two nights running to say hi and get a bowl of something. (The first night I heard something on the stern and opened the door very cautiously in case it was a swan!)

7. The fact I can move anywhere I want to without having to move home.

8. The fresh air and warmth all at the same time.

9. The fact that really it is simply super fucking cool to live on a boat!

Things I dislike-

1. Not having my own shower, and having to use the shower block.

2. The fact that most of the time when people want to talk to me, I am usually en route to the shower block, having just got up and looking like shit and dressed like a refugee!

3. The stupid layout of the middle bit of the cabin so I have to squeeze between two cupboards to get to the bow, when having them both on the same side would have been much more sensible.

4. The spiders!

5. Still not having sussed out how to dry my bath towels.

6. The occasional panic that one, someone is going to come and take my boat away from me and tell me it was all a dream, or two, that the boat might be sinking, like right now, and is just going to go down like the titanic (in the two foot cut!) in about five seconds flat, for no good reason. Though I am hoping that will go away with time!

Edited by Starcoaster

Jeez thanks for all your responses - i am sold. I find myself in a strange situation - I am considering buying a narrow boat to live on (if I can find mooring in yorkshire) however I have never set foot on a narrow boat. How strange is that : )

I had never set foot on a narrowboat when I bought mine(5 years ago this month) I just like everything about living on a boat. I bought it with the idea of spending 2 years on the system, every year I say this will be my last year and have just not been able to give it up!!

Additional Like:

Other people's gardens. I have just spent a couple of days moored opposite a well cared-for garden with trees of gorgeous autumn colours. I don't have the temperament to garden, I need the results of my labours to show themselves the same day, not the year or years after, but I can appreciate the work of others who can. This is in addition to the beautiful natural landscape along much of the canals.