Inconsiderate boaters

Flyboy

Featured Posts

Last September, in the rain, coming down the one flight of locks on the Macc, we crossed a boat coming up. Both parties left their respective gates open - great.

Get in the lock, close the top gate, open the bottom paddles. The boat is about a third of the way down when a guy in a hat appears from under the bridge and launches into a tirade about how we've "shut the doors in his face". It takes us a while to cotton on, and we eventually manage to persuade him that there's a boat ahead of his and it was them he saw closing the gates (and it must have been a good 10 minutes before) to work their boat up. I think he was pissed off because it was raining.

By this stage the lock is empty so we open the gates and head under the bridge. It transpires that Mr. Grumpy's missus is only just leaving the following lock, which is about 400 yrds away, so nowhere near 'our' lock in fact. She ignores me as I walk past but tries to have a go at my mate Dan, who is following behind. Dan tells her to get her bloody facts straight, at which point she accuses him of having "anger management issues"!!!

You just can't win with some people.

Some people do jump to some very strange conclusions.

A couple of years ago we were going up the Buckby locks with plenty of crew, so I was locking ahead. I reached one lock to find two boats coming out, so suggested they leave one of the gates open for us.

A little while later, as I sat on the balance beam waiting for our boat, a woman carrying a windlass arrived along the towpath, followed by a downhill boat. Her husband immediately jumped off the boat to accuse me of setting locks too far ahead. I told him I hadn't had to set the lock, as a couple of boats were going down in front of him; he accused me of lying. His wife looked embarrassed.

He ranted for a bit, until I told him that he might be better employed looking after his own boat, which was drifting into the middle of the canal, with the centre rope about to fall in the water. I've seldom seen anyone move so fast.

Once he was out of earshot, his wife apologised for his behaviour. I think she was probably well practised in such appologies.

Once he was out of earshot, his wife apologised for his behaviour. I think she was probably well practised in such appologies.

I was once boating along the Ashby, when a hire boat approaching suddenly stuck it in reverse and drifted across the cut.

I was too close to stop so broadsided the hire boat sending a ripple all the way along the boat.

As we drew alongside each other I said "Steady on mate, she's a fragile old girl."

He apologised profusely, explaining that he was new, had just left the boatyard and had panicked, on seeing my boat, bows high, in the centre channel.

We were settling it all very amicably, apart from the fact that his wife was stood behind him, all the while, throwing vees and mouthing "f@@k off! f@@k off!" at me.

I said to the bloke "Does she get you into many fights?" at which point he looked resigned to his fate, said "I've had a few close calls." and boated off, to enjoy the rest of his holidays.

Edited by carlt

On the Lee this weekend, I saw a man try to attack a woman with his windlass, chasing her and swearing. She had dared to suggest it might be safer to use the centre line when he moored in the lock with stern and bow lines, dozen turns of rope and a couple of hitches on each one.

He was absolutely evil to her.

Blimey.

There does seem to be the occasional type that just can't bear to be given advice or admit that they might not know everything there is to know.

We once came up to a bridge on a sharp bend which looked like it was entirely blocked by a narrowboat on approach. On closer inspection, it turned out it was just moored right up to the bridge on the outside of the turn and there was space to squeeze past. They were still outside tying it up at the time, so I just called over to say that they'd get bashed about a bit if they tied up there for the night. I got an angry spluttering response from the bloke, to which I smiled and said "I really don't care, as long as you know what you're letting yourself in for." I saw them untying before we turned the next bend. ;)

Put my bow against the top gate/cill in ahead tickover to avoid being pulled forward.

eta just noticed you said the boat was a 70 footer so it wouldnt do a great deal of backwards and forwards. I also know the southern oxfords locks very well and never close the bottom gates till my nose is up against the top cill or gate.

I can imagine the frustration when people dont listen to instructions

Cheers Salty, the Skipper would have put the nose onto the gates as standard but there are no garantees that would have happened at the moment the paddle was thrown open, this situation developed very quickly.

I completely agree with Mr Splash, the boat was in no danger and you could have easily just got on with it.

If you were in any doubt about this (wide lock for instance) then one thing to do would be to go an open the bottom paddles until geezer gets bored and goes away.

Interesting comments, thanks. However I knew for a fact people in the boat were in danger of being injured because I had already had a similar incident in the same lock years before where a full paddle was opened onto the boat below causing it to shoot back and then forward very quickly and violently. Accompanied by screams and smashed glass & crockery, spilt wine (people were eating a buffet on board) . luckerly no one was hurt.

So I'm sorry Chris Pink the boat was in danger, and as to walking down to the paddles on the bottom gate - there would not have been time.

Take it from me there was no lack of professional boating experience amongst the crew when this happened. And the geezer would not of got bored, he wanted to rush us through so he could get his own boat down through the lock. Also had three other mates on board his boat.

In that case, obviously, you could not afford to let any witnesses survive to tell the tale. ;)

Lol nice one Carl, best advice!

Drop the paddles, then explain to the boater how those bloody stupid H&S rules and insurance conditions and the bosses threats that you hate so much mean that only you can work the lock. What a pain in the arse it is, don't you think, but there it is...

Richard

Hi Richard, I did that all those things and he would not listen, he didn't care. I had to remove his windlass from the spline with him still holding onto it. So he crossed over and attemted to lift the opposite paddles.

Edited by kitman

I'm all for turning the other cheek now and then but if we all do that with every aggressive threatening individual and don't challenge their behaviour then they will quite logically decide their action is acceptable whereas confrontation and a swift kick up the arse if called for seems to make some of these people stop and think a bit more.

True, the pen is mightier than the sword, but the sword hurts more.

I think this sort of behaviour is stopping people helping, the first time we ever moored on the River Trent (and only the second time we had moored period) we had a good strong wind but I still went in nose first as I was taught on my helmsmans course, obviously (now) my bum refused to move in.

After battling for about 15 minutes a very nice chap told me what to do but afterwards said 'I would have helped quicker but was frightened of getting a b*****king'!

I'm all for turning the other cheek now and then but if we all do that with every aggressive threatening individual and don't challenge their behaviour then they will quite logically decide their action is acceptable whereas confrontation and a swift kick up the arse if called for seems to make some of these people stop and think a bit more.

All that teaches is that inconsiderate people and bullies can ignore those not equipped to 'give them a kick up the arse'. Violence begets violence and never prevents it.

All that teaches is that inconsiderate people and bullies can ignore those not equipped to 'give them a kick up the arse'. Violence begets violence and never prevents it.

I have to say, the family of the woman who had been chased by the windlass weilding boater behaved impeccably. Talk about appearances being deceptive, Dad looked like he could've stood his ground in a fight, they had several teenage kids and two enormous Rottweilers. When the man blew his top, they simply got back in their boat and let him work the lock by himself. I was impressed by their cool.

Edited by Lady Muck

Over the Easter Weekend we shared a lock on the River Wey with a hire boat carrying a young couple and their parents. The father was steering, we were going up in the lock. He did not acknowledge me at all when I came alongside, which didn't really bother me - we can't all be sociable sorts.

But as the lock filled, he was struggling like mad to keep hold of the back rope, as the boat travelled forward quite fast.

I gently suggested to him that if he "put the engine into reverse a little, this might help". He continued to stare out across the fields with his back to me. But he put the boat into reverse and regained control. Never looked at me at all, not even as he left the lock ahead of us...

Ah well, we can't all be polite either I suppose!

(Please note, this post is not about whether or not we should have our engines on in a River Wey lock :rolleyes: )

Jo.

I used to complain about people closing lock gates on me, I used to complain about people bumping into us. It has taken a few years to chill out, but I think I am nearly there...

when to cheater staircase about 3 months after my stroke i slipped and fell down the stairs on moss couldnt get back up had several people watching not one person asked if i was ok costs nothing to be civil

rgds mike

My experience is that on the waterways, as in life generally, there is a small number of individuals who are basically ignorant and inconsiderate ie they would not moderate their behaviour even if they knew full well it was upsetting someone. I think you are unlucky if you encounter one of these.

Much of the behaviour described above can be put down to stress. Despite the fact that most folk are drawn to the waterways because it offers a "stress free" existence, there are circumstances where it can test the nerves, eg when mooring, locking etc. The way people react to stress is often totally out of character.

It's true that a quick way to upset someone is to tell/advise them what to do - even if it appears they are a complete novice, - but there's a lot of this on the canals. On the Leeds Liverpool a lady yelled at my wife quite aggressively "ground paddles first!!! ground paddles first!!!" as we were locking up through Gargrave. Anyone who has done these recently knows that some of the ground paddles don't work, of those that do most are virtually impossible to lift until the lock has filled somewhat to ease the pressure. ie you generally have to (carefully) open the gate paddles first. Despite the fact that my wife knew full well she was doing it correctly, she was nonetheless quite upset.

Give 'em enough rope though and... I was tied up behind a very smart 55 footer once waiting to go into a lock. The skipper insisted on giving me detailed instructions on how to proceed, how he would enter the lock first, how he would turn to starboard, how I had to be careful of the overflow current, blah blah blah. As he jumped onto his boat I wondered if I should tell him his bow rope was still attached, but then I thought he might be demonstrating some clever springing manoever. As the stern of his boat swung gracefully across the canal with the skipper desperately scrambling down the side deck yelling four letter expetives, I caught sight of his girlfriend down below, quietly reading, probably having seen it all before.

I was once boating along the Ashby, when a hire boat approaching suddenly stuck it in reverse and drifted across the cut.

I was too close to stop so broadsided the hire boat sending a ripple all the way along the boat.

As we drew alongside each other I said "Steady on mate, she's a fragile old girl."

He apologised profusely, explaining that he was new, had just left the boatyard and had panicked, on seeing my boat, bows high, in the centre channel.

We were settling it all very amicably, apart from the fact that his wife was stood behind him, all the while, throwing vees and mouthing "f@@k off! f@@k off!" at me.

I said to the bloke "Does she get you into many fights?" at which point he looked resigned to his fate, said "I've had a few close calls." and boated off, to enjoy the rest of his holidays.

My experience on both hire and private boats is pretty good, although I did have to point out to one belligerent gent in Worcester last September that Ripple wasn't a hire boat, she just looked like one. But on the whole people see my level of experience handling the boat and assume I know what I'm doing. That said, on Juno, the assumption seems to be that someone in charge of a 23 foor yoghurt pot can't be experienced.

But my main point is when was the incident you describe? I've a nasty feeling it may have been me and my ex... If it was my flannel of being inexperienced was simply a cover for having cocked it up, or possibly, her having cocked it up, sorry...

But my main point is when was the incident you describe? I've a nasty feeling it may have been me and my ex... If it was my flannel of being inexperienced was simply a cover for having cocked it up, or possibly, her having cocked it up, sorry...

Summer of 2000.

I was on Electra, a Star class Ricky, with open hold.

We were up the Ashby waiting for our eldest to be born.

I'm also puzzled by some of the comments people make about the behaviours of others on the cut...

...My advice is that some people need to chill more - and that advice comes from someone who in other walks of life is often not that good at chilling!

Enjoy yourselves out there - otherwise what's the point!

I agree.

Whether driving, boating, dealing with neighbours or looking for a table in a pub, there is a way to respond to aggressive people which keeps you under their radar. It won't always stop you from getting caught up in their bad behaviour, but it will massively reduce the stress you have to endure every time you meet an arsehole.

Summer of 2000.

I was on Electra, a Star class Ricky, with open hold.

We were up the Ashby waiting for our eldest to be born.

Carl, apparently you can't receive new massages, inbox full?

I shall shame myself in public instead

Assuming it was someone who looked older than you but could have been about the same age, it probably was me, and it was my ex who'd cocked it up leaving me to sort out the mess. We certainly had a similar incident about then

her behaviour was not untypical, and explains in part why the marriage collapsed in 2002

I am no longer in touch with her, but I understand she is now working for the Methodist Church in Fiji, which is far enough away as far as I'm concerned

Carl, apparently you can't receive new massages, inbox full?

I shall shame myself in public instead

Yes but I've deleted some, now.

No need for shame but you did have my sympathy.

Iirc it is the only time I've ever used the expression "You need to put her on a lead, mate!"

It is now very amusing that we have actually met, and as part of one of my favourite anecdotes, too.

Everybody my age looked older than me, way back then. I lost my youthful looks soon after moving back ashore (still got an unruly mass of hair, though. Perhaps I should invest in some GHDs).

That is one way to deal with it and I do agree with you. The guy who gave me a problem went nose to nose with me and told me he was gona 'sort me out', at which point I would have pushed him in the cut before he swung his windlass at me.

Thing is because I was at work I couldn't get into and scuffles so I litrally turned 180 degrees so he was staring at the back of my head, hoping that he wouldn't attack me whilst my back was turned (now I look back, it was a pretty stupid thing to do). But HE didn't do a thing, he just stood there and seethed whilst I locked the boat through. Turns out he just had a big ego and lots of hot air, all talk no trouser.

Personally I think alot of the big heads on the canal who like to shout at people and order other boaters around are exactly like this. If it's useful advice they are offering - fine, but sometimes you know they are just trying to show off how much they know (or think they know) and be-littling other boaters in the process.

Agreed, dialog first and then if they won't see reason - ignore them. (Personally I'm far too pretty to get into fights!) However, If you are ignoring them and they attack you - hide under the table!? ;)

Ya, whats the point. Average 12 locks/day, plus 19 miles /days for plus 15 days rain or shine. Ya, take it easy I say...

It's something we enjoy doing very much, but work commitments don't allow us weeks on end to go on longer trips. We have never made it to the upper Thames, but reckoned we could this time, and are very pleased to have done so.

As we manage to boat a lot virtually every time with almost none of the conflicts others are describing, (and the sheer amount we boat must surely make such occurrences statistically more possible!), we must be doing something right.

As long as how you boat, and what your preferences are, have no impact on other waterway users, I can't see anybody has the right to prescribe what is the "right" or "wrong" for another boater.

When the way people boat, (or want to boat), starts messing up other people's enjoyment of the canals, that's when I think they need to sit back and think if they have really chosen the right hobby, (or holiday).

As an aside: Your assumptions about our daily averages on miles and locks are not that good, as you neither know the exact length of our trip, nor are you allowing for time I spent having to wait in Oxford for hospital checks. As to "rain or shine", the only rain we saw was moored above Teddington lock, waiting for the next morning's tide, so actually, "yes", I am remarkably chilled!.....

Last September, in the rain, coming down the one flight of locks on the Macc, we crossed a boat coming up. Both parties left their respective gates open - great.

Get in the lock, close the top gate, open the bottom paddles. The boat is about a third of the way down when a guy in a hat appears from under the bridge and launches into a tirade about how we've "shut the doors in his face". It takes us a while to cotton on, and we eventually manage to persuade him that there's a boat ahead of his and it was them he saw closing the gates (and it must have been a good 10 minutes before) to work their boat up. I think he was pissed off because it was raining.

By this stage the lock is empty so we open the gates and head under the bridge. It transpires that Mr. Grumpy's missus is only just leaving the following lock, which is about 400 yrds away, so nowhere near 'our' lock in fact. She ignores me as I walk past but tries to have a go at my mate Dan, who is following behind. Dan tells her to get her bloody facts straight, at which point she accuses him of having "anger management issues"!!!

You just can't win with some people.

Hi

What is it about the Bosley flight ?

I have had to wait for a hire boater to work his way out of a lock because he had cilled it and displaced the rudder.

I had to wait for a lad, who had decided he wanted some exercise and was pulling his boat through the locks.

Last week I was waiting in my lock for a boat to come down the one in front. Two guys were stood each side of the boat - on the phone!!

Eventually I sent my wife up to 'help' . It transpired that one chap was the phone to police because the other guy had nicked his portable engine starter.

He had chased him down 6 locks to retrieve it. Eventualy he cancelled the police but gave the thief a 'good telling off'

My wife helped the guy through the lock and because the engine still wouldn't run, she then had to pull him out of it !!!

I'm going to avoid the Macc in future.

Alex

It's something we enjoy doing very much, but work commitments don't allow us weeks on end to go on longer trips. We have never made it to the upper Thames, but reckoned we could this time, and are very pleased to have done so.

As we manage to boat a lot virtually every time with almost none of the conflicts others are describing, (and the sheer amount we boat must surely make such occurrences statistically more possible!), we must be doing something right.

As long as how you boat, and what your preferences are, have no impact on other waterway users, I can't see anybody has the right to prescribe what is the "right" or "wrong" for another boater.

When the way people boat, (or want to boat), starts messing up other people's enjoyment of the canals, that's when I think they need to sit back and think if they have really chosen the right hobby, (or holiday).

As an aside: Your assumptions about our daily averages on miles and locks are not that good, as you neither know the exact length of our trip, nor are you allowing for time I spent having to wait in Oxford for hospital checks. As to "rain or shine", the only rain we saw was moored above Teddington lock, waiting for the next morning's tide, so actually, "yes", I am remarkably chilled!.....

Just using the figures you supplied... perhaps you should be more accurate when trying to inform..

Just using the figures you supplied... perhaps you should be more accurate when trying to inform..

LOL

I didn't think it necessary to be precise to make the point I was, but didn't mention 15 days, I think!

Anyway, now back at home, and missing it, already!

One further correction, then. Apparently the patronising "gent" at Brentford addressed my wife as "Me Dear", rather than "Dearie" - sorry to have not been 100% spot on the first time around, but either way she chose not to rise to it!