RIP OFF ?

mrsmelly

Featured Posts

:wacko:

As a lifetime user and sometime landlord of the great british pub I am used to having to pay top money for my guinness in Oxfordshire...........BUT I am at present at Cropredy on my way north and when here usualy go to the better of the two village pubs the Brasenose but last night with a friend ventured ( For the last time ) I hasten to add into the Red Lion nearer to the canal, it never has been too good but we were charged £3.90 per pint !!!!!

Now that is extracting the urine. I hasten to add the pub remained virtualy empty in the 2 hours plus we were there and no wonder.

Please let me know if there are any pubs to avoid like this in your patch........ :(

Considering that, at London Irish Rugby Matches, it is sold for £3.80 (ten pence less) and you don't even have to go to the bar to get it that does sound pricey

Guest ales in the Grey Horse Elvington (Punch), on the west side of the Yorks Derwent's Sutton bridge are £3.15 per pint no matter what they are.

In the St Vincent on the east side (Free House), they currently have Sharp's Doombar at £2.50, York Terrier at £2.55, Fullers London Pride at £2.85, and double Grant's at £2.20.

Last week it was Ringwood Best Bitter at £2.20pp, and before that Wychwood Hobgoblin at £2.50pp

Guess where I drink mostly.

Tone

Had one of the worst meals I have ever had in a pub in the Red Lion a couple of years ago.

They had no meat as the "butcher hadn't delivered" so half the menu was off - they offered us "a hand made local beef burger" which when it came was out of a package and like cardboard - my husband refused to eat it and said that it certainly wasn't hand made or local". The response was "yes but its made of meat"! they got really snotty about it too. And it was nearly £10 for the burger - we refused to pay.

At the time everybody was saying how good the pub was but it was just expensive and not good.

Best pub on the canal I have eaten in is the Navigation Inn on the Staffs & Worcs. Had all day breakfast for £5.95 (inc tea) which could have fed all four of us!

Been two years since we did "Cropredy" but as it was the Fairport weekend all pubs were busy,

but we had reasonable food and drink... in our view,

But we drink proper ale not irish squirt and run juice.. thought prices typical of the area.

ditto Brasenose, beer ok but the redlion was better -

on that day,

but I would think that weekend isnt typical and probably the next day it was the other way round !

Joys of ale drinking..

Had one of the worst meals I have ever had in a pub in the Red Lion a couple of years ago.

They had no meat as the "butcher hadn't delivered" so half the menu was off - they offered us "a hand made local beef burger" which when it came was out of a package and like cardboard - my husband refused to eat it and said that it certainly wasn't hand made or local". The response was "yes but its made of meat"! they got really snotty about it too. And it was nearly £10 for the burger - we refused to pay.

At the time everybody was saying how good the pub was but it was just expensive and not good.

Best pub on the canal I have eaten in is the Navigation Inn on the Staffs & Worcs. Had all day breakfast for £5.95 (inc tea) which could have fed all four of us!

I have to say the food at the Red Lion has always been good in my experience

I've used both pubs on several occasions. The Brasenose seems to be a bit cheaper than the Red Lion, and it does seem to be a bit more friendly.

You could easily find yourself in conversation with a member of Fairport, or their muso friends, in either pub.

Never had a bad meal in the Red Lion.

Tone

But I bet that is approx £5.00 for the wine and £2.50 for the pedigree. Many times my good lady and myself have discussed the cost of a large glass of wine compared to a pint, they really do take the p*ss in many pubs on wine prices.

I think it was £4.50 for the wine and £3 for the beer - indeed pubs and restaurants seem to make a huge amount of profit on wine - selling a glass for the same as you can buy a bottle in the supermarket is indeed extracting the urine....

As a lifetime user of the great British Pub I am heading into willington Saturday to the dragon, missus will drink pedigree as will I , kids will drink overpriced lemonade. We are going to try the food, if it's nice we will go back, if it's pricy it's back to the Fray bentos and wine box

The decor of the place is now very 'modern' - it looks like it has had a huge amount of money spent on it, we didn't eat when we were in yesterday so don't know what the grub was like.

Dog friendly too for those that need to know that sort of stuff.

Our local whilst at the boat, The Pyewipe is currently charging £3.60 for a pint of lager. Same lager at the OH's sisters pub in Sheffield £2.20 a pint. Still doesnt stop us going and drinking at the Pyewipe though. If we want the pub to remain trading we have to support it. Far too many pubs in the area have gone under in the last year, we dont want the Pyewipe to follow suit.

The Red Lion has always been good for me, although last time in November some of the food on the menu was not available. That is fair enough though mid week during the winter.

Never had any issue at all in there and we do not always look the tidiest of groups when we go in.

:wacko:

Yes Lady muck you is from just downt road from me so how the hell did you end up living in the big slum and paying their silly prices ?

you should know better !!!!!

Coz I work in fashion, my bad. At least I can 'pretend' to be here, because it's my boats home moorings. Truth be known I'm not here *that* often.

Paid £4.10 for a pint of Guiness in the West End last Thursday, next evening Two pints in the Wetherspoons in Aylesbury was £3.90 - how do they do it?

Tim

I'll raise you to Three pints in Wetherspoons in Skipton for £2.97.

That was 2009 mind

i dont get out much

Paid £4.10 for a pint of Guiness in the West End last Thursday, next evening Two pints in the Wetherspoons in Aylesbury was £3.90 - how do they do it?

Tim

The story that I've heard is that it is corporate bulk purchase of beers nearing their sell by date. Their turnover is so high that the beer is used quickly and their group size means that they can do extremely good deals on this type of urgent sale. As I said, I have no proof, but it is what I have been told.

Roger

The story that I've heard is that it is corporate bulk purchase of beers nearing their sell by date. Their turnover is so high that the beer is used quickly and their group size means that they can do extremely good deals on this type of urgent sale. As I said, I have no proof, but it is what I have been told.

Roger

That's what i heard too.

Yet Wetherspoons deny it. I can well believe that they buy in bulk and that they screw their suppliers for every last penny. If the breweries therefore figure "the only way we can meet this price is by selling beer that's on the way out", I guess that works for both of them.

As a cider drinker I'm a big fan of Wetherspoons, simply because they're the only large company that makes an effort to ensure there's always a decent cider available (usually Westons Marcle Hills, which I think is pretty much Westons Bounds Brand rebranded). Imagine a whole town full of pubs selling nothing but Watneys Red Barrel - well, in a lot of places, that was pretty much the case for cider drinkers until Wetherspoons turned up.