RIP OFF ?

mrsmelly

Featured Posts

:wacko:

As a lifetime user and sometime landlord of the great british pub I am used to having to pay top money for my guinness in Oxfordshire...........BUT I am at present at Cropredy on my way north and when here usualy go to the better of the two village pubs the Brasenose but last night with a friend ventured ( For the last time ) I hasten to add into the Red Lion nearer to the canal, it never has been too good but we were charged £3.90 per pint !!!!!

Now that is extracting the urine. I hasten to add the pub remained virtualy empty in the 2 hours plus we were there and no wonder.

Please let me know if there are any pubs to avoid like this in your patch........ :(

As a quick update on the cropredy rip off. We are on the stratford canal today and stopped at the wharf pub at Hockley Heath. Brilliant sunday roast all proper and fresh for a fiver and guinnes 2.80 a pint thank god for the midlands !!! :cheers:

Edited by mrsmelly

No suprises here, but the £7.50 for a cheese sandwich pub just down the road has just closed for the forseable future, I wonder why? I do hope it will reopen soon but with more realistic pricing.

Paul

Travelling south. Why is beer cheaper in the north?

That's an easy one to answer.

A pub in the north costs a third of the price to buy compared to a pub in the south. The difference in beer price reflects the cost of capital employed.

If you want to sit in a pub all night, you have to pay rent for your space one way or another. The only way to do this is through the beer price.

Stand to reason, dunnit!

Mike

That's an easy one to answer.

A pub in the north costs a third of the price to buy compared to a pub in the south. The difference in beer price reflects the cost of capital employed.

If you want to sit in a pub all night, you have to pay rent for your space one way or another. The only way to do this is through the beer price.

Stand to reason, dunnit!

Mike

Spot on Mike but far too sensible for some people to understand - especially those who have never tried to buy property south of the Humber. :wacko:

Spot on Mike but far too sensible for some people to understand - especially those who have never tried to buy property south of the Humber. :wacko:

:D

To some extent true but only a part of the story, if that was the only reason then the Folly at Napton would not be selling their for one example guinness at 70 pence a pint cheaper than the Red Lion at Cropredy. Unless of course Napton has suddenly moved 100 plus miles north and above the river humber.

But I must admit there is a North South divide which is easily identifiable by the fact that Northerners talk out of their mouths.............

:D

To some extent true but only a part of the story, if that was the only reason then the Folly at Napton would not be selling their for one example guinness at 70 pence a pint cheaper than the Red Lion at Cropredy. Unless of course Napton has suddenly moved 100 plus miles north and above the river humber.

But I must admit there is a North South divide which is easily identifiable by the fact that Northerners talk out of their mouths.............

You can always find individual cases where the data is known as 'outlying'. If you look at the average price of beer in a region I'm certain you'll find it reflects the average value of the properties it is being sold from. I'm also sure the Red Lion in Cropredy is in a far more desirable location than the Folly from a property value POV and therefor worth a shedload more. Property is broadly speaking cheaper in the north so beer is too.

Other reasons for cheaper beer in pubs the north might be lower average local wages, transport and materials costs, or a failing business cutting costs in a desperate attempt to stay alive. Given the history of the Folly this is highly likely to be the case in the example you put forward!

I can't remember what we are arguing about now...

Mike