"Hoop" on top of motors vertical exhaust.

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

Why on earth would you not have the hoop in the same axis as the length of the boat ?

Because the pipe gradually rotates itself (about 90 degrees an hour) thus making me look stupid.

Going to put some sort of spline on it.

It's a cutter, it should be in line with the boat so that it doesn't get caught in branches, and unloaded boats "should" use a titch pipe (often with a cutter). It's designed to deflect and disperse the exhuast so that you don't get a mouth full of brick dust or in the case of Blisworth tunnel, soot - if you don't believe me, try running hard through Blisworth tunnel and look at the colour of your boat then!

A pipe without a cutter actually keeps the exhuast further away from the steerer, and since the pipe is often not center also makes it less likely the cutter rotation is due to keeping the steerer clean.

A tall pipe would usually only be used when loaded as the engine is having to work much harder, so more soot out of the exhaust. A cutter may or may not be used as perfered, but entering a tunnel a cutter would be added, or the pipe replaced with a cutter.

The rivets/join should be towards the stern, Rocket Ron asked why my tall pipe was on the wrong way - I explained that after hitting the tunnel wall when my light failed it damaged it, and so only sits properly one way. I use a tall pipe 'cause my JP used to like covering me with black soot.

A "river pipe" is an even taller pipe for use on rivers and other places where headroom is not important. Not sure if this is an historic term.

Mike

Then what do you call the metal implements shaped rather like large paper clips, whose purpose is to drop and lock behind steel piling so that you can put a mooring rope through them? Mrs. Athy and I have a pair of these but, lacking knowledge of their correct name, have always referred to them as "grommets".

Nappy pins and the thing on top of our exhaust is a splitter :banghead:

we call a piling hook a piling hook, A Thames lockie once introduced me to the term Splitter while we were taking a large barge upto Reading, They use it to describe GRP boats, coz thats what happens to them when hit by a barge.

My Long pipe lost its cutter after rubbing too many low bridges

Then what do you call the metal implements shaped rather like large paper clips, whose purpose is to drop and lock behind steel piling so that you can put a mooring rope through them? Mrs. Athy and I have a pair of these but, lacking knowledge of their correct name, have always referred to them as "grommets".

TNC refer to them as "EZ-moor" ...or "Clank-O-Matic Noisy-moor" :P

Her indoors calls them"Paper clips"

we call a piling hook a piling hook, A Thames lockie once introduced me to the term Splitter while we were taking a large barge up to Reading, They use it to describe GRP boats, coz thats what happens to them when hit by a barge.

I thought they were Shredded Wheat boats (after being hit by a steel boat, anyway).

Back to topic, if an exhaust cutter rotates when the engine is running, who cares which way round it is put on? Surely a casual 'does not matter' random angle is the most authentic?

who cares which way round it is put on? Surely a casual 'does not matter' random angle is the most authentic?

When I was stranded in Braunston, for 4 months, I deliberately put Lucy's backcabin chimney on, at the wrong angle and, every day, somebody put it right.

I never caught the person who did it (though I do have my suspicions) but it was great sport, at a time and place where there was very little entertainment available (foot and mouth era).