"Hoop" on top of motors vertical exhaust.

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

OK, The brass hoop fitted to a motor's exhaust to deflect the blast sideways.

What's it called ?

I ask because in the past I have heard it called by a name I now only hear rarely, having been replaced by a different one.

So what do you call it, and what did working boatmen call it, please ?

Or is it one of those regional things, where it's called different in one part of the country from another.

OK, The brass hoop fitted to a motor's exhaust to deflect the blast sideways.

What's it called ?

I ask because in the past I have heard it called by a name I now only hear rarely, having been replaced by a different one.

Or is it one of those regional things, where it's called different in one part of the country from another.

I have always known it as a "cutter".

N

I might reopen the "stakes"/"pins"/"irons"/"whatever" debate soon then, too!..............

Then what do you call the metal implements shaped rather like large paper clips, whose purpose is to drop and lock behind steel piling so that you can put a mooring rope through them? Mrs. Athy and I have a pair of these but, lacking knowledge of their correct name, have always referred to them as "grommets".

Then what do you call the metal implements shaped rather like large paper clips, whose purpose is to drop and lock behind steel piling so that you can put a mooring rope through them? Mrs. Athy and I have a pair of these but, lacking knowledge of their correct name, have always referred to them as "grommets".

We know them as piling hooks

A splitter is something you get at the front of a car to improve downforce.

I thought a "splitter" was a colloquial name for a GRP boat, so have been surprised that people now have them on the roof of their motors. :lol:

Must admit I always knew the exhaust pipe attachment as a "cutter", and have not come across the use of "splitter" in that context, other than on CWDF.

I think the latter name could post-date the end of most commercial carrying, but perhaps, as I say, it was a regional thing ?

Edited by alan_fincher

<snip> A splitter is something you get at the front of a car to improve downforce.

What? You mean the air dam?

Richard

I'm hoping like mad that there are at least three names for the top of the exhaust thingy reflecting regional variations. I firmly believe that there are no "proper" names for anything in a country wide craft industry like canals

I agree with previous posts - always thought the thingy on the top of the tube was called a cutter (I am so not technical) and the paper clips were piling hooks.

Some time ago I was in a canal boat quiz team and this was one of the few questions we managed to answer!

quote name='RLWP' timestamp='1286180875' post='593386']

What? You mean the air dam?

Richard

I'm hoping like mad that there are at least three names for the top of the exhaust thingy reflecting regional variations. I firmly believe that there are no "proper" names for anything in a country wide craft industry like canals

I have been mistakenly calling them 'piling hooks'! :P

...and totally logically I must admit. When we bought ours we were unsure what to call them, so "grommets" sprang to mind as a synonym for "thingmebobs" or "whatsits". I guess most boaters have personalised names for parts of, or equipment on, their boats, and I don't mean just terms which include expletives.

Guest wanted

Altough i do have one, I have never had to call it anything thus far, now I feel the need I am divided(ironic?) do I call it splitter or cutter?

I think cutter sounds more like I know what i'm on about, so that is what i'll call it!

...and totally logically I must admit. When we bought ours we were unsure what to call them, so "grommets" sprang to mind as a synonym for "thingmebobs" or "whatsits". I guess most boaters have personalised names for parts of, or equipment on, their boats, and I don't mean just terms which include expletives.

Except, unlike "whatsits" and suchlike, a grommet is an actual thing (the eyelets, in tents, tarps and stuff).

It was an ex working boatman (Denis Wain) who told me the origin of the term "biscuit cutter"

Except, unlike "whatsits" and suchlike, a grommet is an actual thing (the eyelets, in tents, tarps and stuff).

<snip>

A grommet is a continuous loop of rope, like those things people call quoits. As you'll probably know, a properly made eyelet in canvas has a grommet worked into it

Richard

I think there will be fewer regional variations on this one because it was a relatively modern innovation only seen on motor boats that went through tunnels. With few exceptions, most of those met in the Birmingham area.

I am sure that the hoop on the chimney was universally known as a 'Cutter' for the reasons that have already been stated.

There are many 21st Century terms that are used, mainly, by hirers that would not have been familiar to the generations of working boat people.

For example, improvised 'piling hooks' have been around ever since metal piling was introduced and BW maintenance staff understand that term but I have heard them referred to as 'Nappy Pins' by hirers.