Lister SR3 questions

Featured Posts

I did a search, but there seems to be very little info on the Lister SR3 engine out there, not even wikipedia has anything... :lol:

I'm considering a boat at the moment, with a Lister SR3 in it. I would appreciate your input in th following questions.

Are they reliable? I intent to use mine 5 days a week, pretty much all day (10 hours plus in the summer).

Are they difficult to fix? I can wield a spanner and screw driver as long as I have a manual.

Do many parts need (regular) proffessional servicing etc. such as injectors , pumps etc.

Any problems with cooling? On hot days?

And if anybody has any links to websites or books that give more info, i would be grateful.

Thanks in advance.

I did a search, but there seems to be very little info on the Lister SR3 engine out there, not even wikipedia has anything... :lol:

I'm considering a boat at the moment, with a Lister SR3 in it. I would appreciate your input in th following questions.

Are they reliable? I intent to use mine 5 days a week, pretty much all day (10 hours plus in the summer).

Are they difficult to fix? I can wield a spanner and screw driver as long as I have a manual.

Do many parts need (regular) proffessional servicing etc. such as injectors , pumps etc.

And if anybody has any links to websites or books that give more info, i would be grateful.

Thanks in advance.

SR3s, although pretty "untraditional" in sound etc. are virtually bomb-proof, and I must admit to having a soft spot for them. I had one in a big Woolwich motor nearly 30 years ago, with a 3-1 reduction, and the old National blade, and it went like a train. I shut the engine 'ole doors going round the Morton pound one hot Summer day, and she stopped dead, seized, just outside the The Boat at Newbold. What to do? Tie up, go and have a few pints of Davvies and come back out in the cool of the evening, and fire her up. We made Sutton's that night. Cracking engine!

SR3s, although pretty "untraditional" in sound etc. are virtually bomb-proof, and I must admit to having a soft spot for them. I had one in a big Woolwich motor nearly 30 years ago, with a 3-1 reduction, and the old National blade, and it went like a train. I shut the engine 'ole doors going round the Morton pound one hot Summer day, and she stopped dead, seized, just outside the The Boat at Newbold. What to do? Tie up, go and have a few pints of Davvies and come back out in the cool of the evening, and fire her up. We made Sutton's that night. Cracking engine!

i think listers are actually mitsubishi engines they where used in lawnmowers and tractors it should have a number on it M10 or something like that which is the mitsubishi engine model number hope that helps. tallpaul www.phoenixmarine.co.uk

i think listers are actually mitsubishi engines they where used in lawnmowers and tractors it should have a number on it M10 or something like that which is the mitsubishi engine model number hope that helps. tallpaul www.phoenixmarine.co.uk

Not sure what the situation is for current engines, but the SR3 is a relatively old air-cooled engine from the 60s/70s.

I doubt that there's anything remotely Japanese about them.

Edited by dave69700

I'm sure Baldock will be along in a minute or so, but meantime this is the operating and parts manual.

When we got our canal trip boat, it had been on the bottom a few times, and the Lister SR2 was seized and full of water. Drained water, put oil in, removed injectors and inserted oil/deisel mix, left for a few days before turning engine over, then replaced injectors, connected a fuel supply, bled and started.

As near to a bomb proof engine as you're likely to get :lol:

Iain

We had an SR3, I've always loved them. They'll always get you home.

Ours used to get a bit warm on hot days, and would slow down. Trying to go too fast for hours on the tidal Trent once (attempting Newark to Keadby in one go) on a very hot day, the SR3 turned into an SR2 with a seized exhaust valve, but kept going and got us into Keadby (albeit with a huge crash when we hit the lock wall after the engine stopped as I throttled back to engage reverse as we approached Keadby Lock). The remaining 2 cylinders got us across the L&L to Wigan, but coming down the flight with the engine switched off, breasted up to another boat, the water flowing over the top gates ran up the exhaust pipe and filled one of the other cylinders with water. It wouldn't turn over until I lifted the decompressor, and with a fountain of water she started running as an SR1. That SR1 never missed a beat for day after day until suddenly the waterlogged cylinder burst into life again.

When we got back to Braunston it took half a day to take the heads off, fit a new valve, and turn it back into an SR3.

Yes I'd have one again.

:lol:

Ok so we all know this post is a wind up. The lister sr range was in production 300 light years before anyone had heard of mitsubishi. They are like all all old listers absolutely superb. Years ago I had an old lr 2 on a boat and it was abused and never let me down. Modern engines by the japs are great I have one know but an old lister will outlive them all.

:lol:

Ok so we all know this post is a wind up. The lister sr range was in production 300 light years before anyone had heard of mitsubishi. They are like all all old listers absolutely superb. Years ago I had an old lr 2 on a boat and it was abused and never let me down. Modern engines by the japs are great I have one know but an old lister will outlive them all.

The only Mitsubishi based engine that Lister built during my brief working period there (late 98, early 99) was the Delta four cylinder. This was a Mitsubishi built under licence and with some small Lister tweaks IIRC. All the older and current designs were Lister's alone. They were just bringing out a new emissions compliant engine (the X range IIRC) and had just shown it at an American trade fair when I left.

Roger

I have an ST3 in my NB. It is the last of the series and is about 10hp more than the SR3. Bags of torque. The triple is not the sweetest sounding engine IMO but it will just plod on all day using about 1l p/h

I did have an SL 3 in the first place. This was only 12.5 hp but still pushed my 60' along river systems. On hot days it would play up which is why I put in an ST3, but and SR3 was also considered but an ST came up first. On a canal it would be fine.

Biggest problem is if the injectors leak into the sump. Its important you check the oil levels befor and after a trip. If you are gaining oil then it will be leaking injectors or pipes but is easy to fix.

The only other issue is getting rid or the engine heat. Make sure it can breath and dump the heat. You will know if it overheats as it will lose power, you will then feed in more throttle and then you'll see black smoke. At this point its time to ease up and let it cool down.

SL3, SR3, ST3, you will have no problem with them, just not very sexy in this modern age.

Biggles

They have a reputation for being mega durable which is true compared with many other diesels. Even so, when you read the engine manual the builders of the day certainly recommend rigid maintenance. It's not so much the case Listers will pack up and stop but they do need to be checked for black smoke and injection blockage (indirect injection in this case).

My own Lister runs absolutely fine but I do feel I need to find a day to overhaul the engine as it looks as old as it is. Cleaning is recommended and in many cases a water trap is best installed. And so on...

They have a reputation for being mega durable which is true compared with many other diesels. Even so, when you read the engine manual the builders of the day certainly recommend rigid maintenance. It's not so much the case Listers will pack up and stop but they do need to be checked for black smoke and injection blockage (indirect injection in this case).

My own Lister runs absolutely fine but I do feel I need to find a day to overhaul the engine as it looks as old as it is. Cleaning is recommended and in many cases a water trap is best installed. And so on...

I thought the SR's were all direct injection.

Biggest problem is if the injectors leak into the sump. Its important you check the oil levels befor and after a trip. If you are gaining oil then it will be leaking injectors or pipes but is easy to fix.

Another thing about SR3's, the dipstick is only there so you can check for increasing oil level. You don't need it for checking if you've got enough oil: if it's got oil the exhaust will be smoking, if it stops smoking it has run out of oil.

Thanks in advance.

I have an sr2 in my 40ft nb and love it, ultra reliable and dirt cheap to run, they do need lots of cool air in the summer but will keep you very warm in the winter months. i advise you ring peter or chris (baldock) at marine engine services (they have a website) as they know everything there is to know about listers.

best of luck....Rob.

There's a recess in the piston crown for injection purposes. The injectors are buried within the crankcase, as is the fuel pump (but not the lift pump). Injector cooling fins are recommended to be kept clean. Blockages aren't so common but sometimes you get partial blockage. In some Listers injectors are of the pintel type.

I think my own could do with plenty of service although it runs very well. I did change the engine oil recently but the engine area could do with a bit of a clean up.

One thing I'm not clear about is the gearbox. I know mine isn't manual as I have remote controls but I'm not sure if the system is hydraulic operated. In the manual there are at least three gearbox systems outlined.

I thought the SR's were all direct injection.

• 8 years later...
On 10/12/2009 at 05:41, luctor et emergo said:

I will make getting a manual a priority.

Really old thread but was wondering if you ended up getting this boat and if you ever found a manual or more information for this engine?

The boat we're interested in has a Lister SR 3 and is beautiful from the outside. Runs and sounds fantastic too.

Some glowing reviews above. My worry is that as an older engine (60s/70s) it might be tricky to find parts for it or mechanics familiar with it. Especially if it is a little obscure.

There is nothing obscure about an SR.  Any competent mechanic can fix one and a lot of incompetent ones get by too.

Keep it clean and cool,  watch the oil level for diesel leaks and it will go for ever.

For parts you want Sue at Marine Engine Services (Midlands) or Richard at Primrose Engineering. They are the successors to MES at Uxbridge. Richard regularly posts on here.

N

• Happy 1

46 minutes ago, ivan&alice said:

Really old thread but was wondering if you ended up getting this boat and if you ever found a manual or more information for this engine?

Zombie thread revival!

Luctor did indeed buy a boat, although I can't remember if it was the one with the SR3, but he has since sold it and no longer posts here.

Plenty of SR3s and SR2s still running in narrow boats, and enough people about who know how to fix them.

• Happy 1

2 hours ago, BEngo said:

There is nothing obscure about an SR.  Any competent mechanic can fix one and a lot of incompetent ones get by too.

Keep it clean and cool,  watch the oil level for diesel leaks and it will go for ever.

For parts you want Sue at Marine Engine Services (Midlands) or Richard at Primrose Engineering. They are the successors to MES at Uxbridge. Richard regularly posts on here.

N

He does!

No problem with most parts for an SR3, some bits of external tinware are scarce. Many owners manage without them

Richard

Nowt wrong with an SR3 as an engine, though note it will likely be louder than a water cooled engine, which may or may not bother you.

Are you thinking of this boat as a live-aboard?  An SR3 is slower running than a more modern engine, and will probably only have a single alternator, perhaps not with a massive output.  Not all Listers have sensible pulley ratios, and hence don't spin the alternator fast enough at low speeds to put much charge in the batteries, (in some cases no charging at all will take place at slow tick-over).  You need to find you can get good charging without having the engine running too hard.

Also being an air-cooled engine, you lose the very distinct advantage of being able to heat domestic water from heat that would otherwise go to waste.

I don't know how much any of these things relate to your planned use of the boat, though?

32 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

I don't know how much any of these things relate to your planned use of the boat, though?

We plan to liveaboard 24/7 (we work from home) and cruise the whole inland network on it. Having an engine with a calorifier does sound like a nice advantage.

The engine room is separate from the rest of the boat so I'm not too concerned about noise.

4 minutes ago, ivan&alice said:

We plan to liveaboard 24/7 (we work from home) and cruise the whole inland network on it. Having an engine with a calorifier does sound like a nice advantage.

The engine room is separate from the rest of the boat so I'm not too concerned about noise.

It's the noise when you are boating that can be a nuisance. I know as I have a 70 footer with an air cooled Lister ST3, the successor model to the SR3.

At least Joan's is in an engine room. An air cooled Lister beneath a cruiser stern deck can be very loud.

Edited by David Mack

1 hour ago, ivan&alice said:

ARRGGHH!

Not a nice advantage but to my mind an essential (some of the alternatives that you may find are gas - expensive- and back boilers). If you're working when mobile you want to be able to communicate with the world, and that means an effective means of charging your batteries. That, I submit is difficult to achieve with a slow revving air cooled engine.

I have an SR2 as a standby generator (on land) and it's incredibly noisy - even if I shout the house front door and the genny is 40 ft. away..

Please, please think of a watercooled more modern engine that can be adapted to charge your batteries without much hassle.