What was your greatest single lifestyle change?

Featured Posts

As per title,

For all the liveaboards out there what was the single most significant lifestyle change you made to be able to live aboard.

I guess the ones who gave up thier PC and internet will not be able to answer.

Apart from that issue what is the one big thing in their life did they have to give up or adjust.

Over to you.......

I don't know if I qualify to answer as I live aboard when in the UK and live abroad when not...but

On the plus: getting a dishwasher - I kid you not, I've never had one before and me thinks it's fab! :lol:

On the not-so-plus: not having a cleaner although to be honest I like cleaning the boat because it means I'm not working! :lol:

On the minus: getting used to having people peer in through your windows :lol:

However, having a boat means that when I travel, I'm quite used to changing gas bottles and arranging for the water to be filled up every week as is normal for a lot of countries. I'm also used to not having regular internet or TV and for the last two weeks electricity seems has been hit and miss where I am now! So for me, not been a big lifestyle change. But then that's why so many expats buy narrowboats, I guess.

100 pairs of shoes

tall glass vase collection

large framed print collection

A fringe (because it required a hair dryer to get it to lay flat).

No hot bath every night

But I've always been a bit of a scruff bag, I'm just a bit scruffier than before and my clothes have more holes in and more grease on from working locks.

Im back in a house now but the living on boats I did in the early 80's was without mod cons . I used Primus stoves and Tilley lamps, my luxury was batteries for an old portable wireless I was given.I was happy as Larry.People who lived on narrowboats had what seemed to me total blissfull comfort.Thats why I just had to own one and now I do.

As per title,

For all the liveaboards out there what was the single most significant lifestyle change you made to be able to live aboard.

I guess the ones who gave up thier PC and internet will not be able to answer.

Apart from that issue what is the one big thing in their life did they have to give up or adjust.

Over to you.......

:lol: We gave up paying a mortgage...........

Now he has to do it on the towpath .... that is if he is wearing any clothes at all (other than the cowboy hat obviously!) :lol:

Have we put a name to the Ashby Perv I wonder???

On a serious note, it was harder for me to move back into a house than onto my first boat. I owned very little, had spent a lot of time living in ahem "alternative" lifestyles, so moving onto Southam was a doddle. My entire being fitted into the back of a series 2 Landrover Safari (although a long wheelbase one admittedly). Filling 54 feet of cabin space was a challenge

When I moved back into the house I bought a big telly, nice couch etc, and it felt like I'd sold out. One of the happiest moments in moving back aboard was when the big telly disappeared (although the fact that BP sold it for a tenner still smarts!). Bagpuss is talking about new couches now tho :lol:

I miss a bath too. Can't think of anything other than that though.

When we first got the boat I missed a bath a lot and my mum got used to me turning up and disappearing into the bath for hours. When we planned the re-fit of that end of the boat we included a bath and it's the best decision we made. It may be an iccle bath, but tis a bath and is heaven. Yep, we need to go and get water more often, but it is well worth it.

Apart from that, there really isn't very much that's been a big lifestyle change. We got rid of lots of "stuff" that we never used anyway and haven't missed it a bit. I kinda miss lots of book shelves full of books but these days I just keep loads in the car and at Paul's parents'. It was a bit of a pain during my degree having to wander off to find a certain text book but not a major lifestyle change.

(I suppose the biggest change is toileting habits, but boaters don't want to talk about toilets, do they? :lol: )

I gave up my dream job working with motorbikes in order to live aboard more easily.

I also gave up a lot of hang ups and consumerism. living aboard has changed me in a really positive and life enlightening way.

ive also not had time for my no. 1 hobby, velodrome coaching/cycling, which I plan to rectify once I move onto my next (marina moored) boat.

err..left home...acquired 1st boat..37 years ago give or take a month and still here ( much to some peoples annoyance)

What did I give up.....mmmmmm hard...

what have I found LOADS ! and still do

Chris

Edited by Baldock