An alternative canal map

tafkam

Featured Posts

I agree, its great.

I tried toprint it but could not read the place names, any chnace of a version with great resolution?

Mark

if you click to view the full image then it prints out to A4 size and the names are readable then? (....oops I didn't ask permission to print like Smelly did! )

At the risk of being picky...

Ashton-under-Lyne, not Lyme.

And who pinched Bugsworth.

And Cooper Bridge, not Upper Heaton.

(Where did Upper Heaton come from? The nearest location is Bradley.)

And Bramwith, not Thorne.

And Keadby, not Gunness.

And Trent Lock, not Long Eaton.

And Trent Falls, not Faxfleet.

And who pinched Froghall?

And where has the River Aire/Selby Canal gone?

Oh, and Burscough and Wigan are shown as being adjacent although in reality they are over ten miles apart.

Has the Chesterfield Canal now been opened right through to Chesterfield and the Wendover Arm to Wendover?

But, apart from that... it's great!

Edited by MartinClark

Killing time lately, I got to pursuing a rather arduous task of mapping the canals in a slightly different style. Doubtless there are some initial errors, but thought folks might like to see the efforts:

I bought a map very similar to this from the IWA shop (now discontinued) that was also marked up for how far you could travel in 2 hours, very useful for route planning.

Edoted to say I have just found it at https://www.iwashop.com/ecommerce/products.asp?cat=1

Edited by ditchcrawler

Hi.

As an Artwork, this is brilliant, and i would certainly purchase should you publish.

As an instument to assist in navigation and enjoyment of the waterways and their environs, i think not. Only a system linked to an O.S. Map gives access to the wider picture, but please please go with your idea, and develop.

John.

Thanks for all the comments! Glad it's been largely well-received.

Have tried to respond to comments below:

Middle Levels area needs some work but still I like it.

Couldn't even see how to begin to make sense of it, if I'm honest!

Why does the Fossdyke look like a tramtrack?

Well, for such a short and ancient stretch of canal, it seemed deserving of slightly different treatment. So it's got the 'heritage line' type label

At the risk of being picky...

Ashton-under-Lyne, not Lyme.

And who pinched Bugsworth.

Corrected

And Cooper Bridge, not Upper Heaton.

(Where did Upper Heaton come from? The nearest location is Bradley.)

And Bramwith, not Thorne.

And Keadby, not Gunness.

And Trent Lock, not Long Eaton.

And Trent Falls, not Faxfleet.

And who pinched Froghall?

And where has the River Aire/Selby Canal gone?

Oh, and Burscough and Wigan are shown as being adjacent although in reality they are over ten miles apart.

Has the Chesterfield Canal now been opened right through to Chesterfield and the Wendover Arm to Wendover?

But, apart from that... it's great!

Again, hopefully all corrected

think he's taken critics to heart, packed his ball and gone home!!!

If you click on the none image it links to the picture within the canal forum gallery.

It's a great map, but missing the Driffield Navigation (bring it directly north from the kink in the Humber (Hull), and finish at Driffield (perhaps with a slight kink to the left before the end). If you wanted to you could add Beverley Beck, and Frodingham.

I take it you are going to add other "stations" later once you've got the general layout correct - like Newark for example. Good work though! Not easy getting the Thames into any sort of sensible simple shape!

Cheers,

Mike

Lovely idea and well executed, but be carefull about copyright. The powers that be at London Underground can be a bit twitchy about people copying their work.

Damn right they are.

When I was at Waterscape I did this:

londonwaterways.gif

TfL stomped on any prospect of it being let out into the wild and threatened to come after BW with the proverbial big stick if we used it. I forget the name of their copyright enforcement bloke but I thought he was actively offensive as well as fairly clueless.

Damn right they are.

londonwaterways.gif

TfL stomped on any prospect of it being let out into the wild and threatened to come after BW with the proverbial big stick if we used it. I forget the name of their copyright enforcement bloke but I thought he was actively offensive as well as fairly clueless.

that is very, very cool. But I'd remove the waterscape.com logo so you don't get in trouble.

Edited by deletedaccount

Damn right they are.

londonwaterways.gif

Richard, that is a very clever piece of work!

Stewey

Well, for such a short and ancient stretch of canal, it seemed deserving of slightly different treatment. So it's got the 'heritage line' type label

OK, fair enough for the Fossdyke, but did I spend a month this summer messing around on an extended walkway (OK the Middle Level Commisioners do describe it as a 'Link', but Ramsey and other places are well worth including)?

And another month exploring non-existent tributaries of the Great Ouse?

Very attractive piece of art, and, like any work of art, it'll be even better when it's finished. :lol:

Mac