An alternative canal map

tafkam

Featured Posts

I'm not sure (from what Richard has posted) that Richard or the OP have the authority to answer that.

Mind you, once the genie is out of the bottle :lol:

Being clearly in no way related to the London Underground, I'm not sure that my map could be a problem for TFL since the original maps are protected by copyright. As there is nothing copied but the general idea of the colours and straight lines - neither of which could be covered by copyright - there should be no issue.

There is slightly more of an issue with Richard's since it does mimic the original design somewhat.

And I certainly have no issue with it being posted elsewhere - although I'd like to know where :lol:

Another update, to reflect some of the comments made.

I will say, though, I've made no attempt to differentiate between wide and narrow - and don't intend to do so. It's clearly not intended as a navigation device, but rather as a simplified overview.

gallery_3902_484_387943.jpg

I think its wonderful!... I intend to print it, laminate it, and add it to my map wall.

Thank you for doing it.

But not yet! Tafkam is doing a great job, but a few modifications are surely forthcoming. I'm sure other nitpickers will arrive, but Downham Market (if it should be in at all) is in the wrong place, and surely Sowerby Bridge should be included as a boundary between two colours, being at the junction of the Calder & Hebble and Rochdale. And there is no navigation down the Aire from Haddlesey

Please don't regard this as a criticism, but an encouragement to greater perfection!

Mac

Edited to add the bit about the Aire.

Edited by Mac of Cygnet

But not yet! Tafkam is doing a great job, but a few modifications are surely forthcoming. I'm sure other nitpickers will arrive, but Downham Market (if it should be in at all) is in the wrong place, and surely Sowerby Bridge should be included as a boundary between two colours, being at the junction of the Calder & Hebble and Rochdale. And there is no navigation down the Aire from Haddlesey

Please don't regard this as a criticism, but an encouragement to greater perfection!

Mac

Edited to add the bit about the Aire.

Constructive criticism is more than welcome! I'll hopefully address these few errors. Colours are becoming something of an issue though, hence there being a few shared routes with smaller navigations.

Tafkam

I've now made hopefully all of the changes suggested - more are always welcome - and have changed the format to gif to keep some clarity in the colour. It will mean that the old images have disappeared, but the current one is here:

gallery_3902_484_1846.gif

its looking better

suggestions

1. change barbridge and hurleston to seperates

2. move lapworth/kingswood closer together

3. straighten the rochdale to a line parallel to huddersfield.

4. yorkshire derwent?

and if you include the milton keynes link then the Wey & arun, cotswold and thames severn canals should be shown as under restoration.

Edited by hamsterfan

its looking better

suggestions

1. change barbridge and hurleston to seperates

4. yorkshire derwent?

and if you include the milton keynes link then the Wey & arun, cotswold and thames severn canals should be shown as under restoration.

1. Done

2. Done

3. Why? The main stretch is parallel, but doesn't the current 'hump' better represent the geography?

4. Done

As for restoration projects - fair point. I have removed the MK link for now. I might put all the various projects in, but I fear it may start making the whole thing look even more untidy at present. Would rather focus on the navigable routes first.

That would look better.

No - leave the Rochdale - it looks all right as it is! Why are you keen to make one bit (Lapworth) less diagrammatic but make another bit (Rochdale) more so?

Why stop at those two? What about the Lichfield and Hatherton, Wilts and Berks, etc.? It's going to start looking very complicated.

Better to remove the Milton Keynes Link and just stick to currently navigable waterways I.M.O.

P.S. Tafkam - you have Lincoln and Bardney the wrong way round! They need swapping around. Also it wouldn't hurt to put Boston at the end of the Witham.

That would look better.

No - leave the Rochdale - it looks all right as it is! Why are you keen to make one bit (Lapworth) less diagrammatic but make another bit (Rochdale) more so?

Why stop at those two? What about the Lichfield and Hatherton, Wilts and Berks, etc.? It's going to start looking very complicated.

Better to remove the Milton Keynes Link and just stick to currently navigable waterways I.M.O.

the original concept was to make the lines as straight as possible hence the suggestion for the rochdale - the whole idea is to make it schematic not geographic.

as for restoration / new. yes all i was meaning include all or not at all.

it looks good and with a few tweeks will look fantastic keep up the good work !!

Lapworth - Kingswood looks right now.

Should you label the Ribble link?

The Brecon and Merthyr (?) isn't in the key

Where's the Manchester Ship Canal? I wouldn't dare use the Severn beyond Gloucester but I have been on the MSC

I really like this map. When you have done a bit more on it I will put a copy up in our boat.

Richard

As a Brummie, it does amuse me that this part needs it's own map where no other city does.

Haddlesey to Selby isn't a river - the river continues down towards the Ouse (but there is a weir). And where's the Weaver? You could just about fit it in between the Northern Shroppie and T&M. You can't miss the Anderton Lift out of a Waterways Map!

Stick at it!

Mac

Edited by Mac of Cygnet

The Brecon and Merthyr (?) isn't in the key

Now that WOULD be a challenge

Brecon is 330 feet above sea level, Merthyr rather over five hundred (the Glamorgan Canal had 52 locks averaging just over ten feet drop, the deepest was a staircase pair at Aberfan with a lift of 28 feet) BUT the Heads of the Valleys Road between the two peaks at 1300 feet

I can see it now, sod Tardebigge, Caen Hill and Wigan, the Clydach gorge 100 rise staircase :lol:

(It's the Brecon and Abergavenny, or if you must be modern, the Monmouthshire and Brecon)

Now that WOULD be a challenge

Brecon is 330 feet above sea level, Merthyr rather over five hundred (the Glamorgan Canal had 52 locks averaging just over ten feet drop, the deepest was a staircase pair at Aberfan with a lift of 28 feet) BUT the Heads of the Valleys Road between the two peaks at 1300 feet

I can see it now, sod Tardebigge, Caen Hill and Wigan, the Clydach gorge 100 rise staircase :lol:

(It's the Brecon and Abergavenny, or if you must be modern, the Monmouthshire and Brecon)

Thinking of the people living in that area, they wouldn't have built a staircase, they would have lit their lamps and dug!

Richard

I got mixed up with this

I think I might just have managed all of those alterations.

I'm afraid I've no intention of differentiating between broad and narrow for two reasons.

1. It's trouble enough trying to find enough colours for different canals. Different patterns are incredibly difficult to include.

2. I only use narrowboats, so it's academic to me :lol:

I think I might just have managed all of those alterations.

I'm afraid I've no intention of differentiating between broad and narrow for two reasons.

1. It's trouble enough trying to find enough colours for different canals. Different patterns are incredibly difficult to include.

2. I only use narrowboats, so it's academic to me :lol:

when you have the latest draft that's as far as it can go, (but when its done somebody will point out a gaff) would you post it please, I am addicted to my laminator and am standing by with the magic plastic

when you have the latest draft that's as far as it can go, (but when its done somebody will point out a gaff) would you post it please, I am addicted to my laminator and am standing by with the magic plastic

You can always get the latest one by clicking on the little square in post #58