An alternative canal map

tafkam

Featured Posts

All changes I agree with, and will make!

A couple of more points now that I can see a large print out!

You have shown little Venice as a junction but not shown the Paddington Basin arm

You do not show a junction symbol at the start of the welford arm

The Alesbury and Wendover arms are two different junctions on the GU, albeit very close together

You do not indicate in the key what the dotted setion of the Severn is (Unnavigable) or the symbol for the Old bedford river

Hope this helps

Tim

Thanks tafkam, superb idea. Working here in Australia where the phrase 'Inland Waterways' just brings on a blank expession, I now have something to show people who want to know more about my strange need to travel down narrow channels in a long thin boat. (usually in the rain!)

Hi Tafkam, great map.

I was wondering whether it would be better to mark Hanham rather than Keynsham on the K&A, Hanham Lock being the point where the river becomes tidal?

Jo.

The river is semi tidal above Hanham lock as we found to our cost once many years ago.

Tim

Edited by Tim Lewis

Looking really good.

A couple of typos - Birmingham and Gloucester

I know why you have done it but it's a shame that the whole of the BCN has got lost. Your current version of the map doesn't suggest any of the connections between Salford Jn and Aldersley, so you have lost the straight sprint across Brum, or the route down the Delph nine and through the Stourbridge. I think your first version showed a sort of tee-shape that hinted at what the connections were.

Richard

A couple of typos - Birmingham and Gloucester

Duly corrected, thanks!

I know why you have done it but it's a shame that the whole of the BCN has got lost. Your current version of the map doesn't suggest any of the connections between Salford Jn and Aldersley, so you have lost the straight sprint across Brum, or the route down the Delph nine and through the Stourbridge. I think your first version showed a sort of tee-shape that hinted at what the connections were.

This is something that has been troubling me. Do folks think it would look better/be more useful if the rough outline of the BCN network were shown in thinner lines, without labelling? It would still need looking at a larger scale map for any detail, but at least would show the elements of the connections? It would, though, run the risk of looking rather spaghetti-like within the coloured box.

I shall give it a go and see how it looks.

Tafkam

have you adjusted the rochdale as it looks so much better now that it is parallel to huddersfield.

should stoke on trent not be below with etruria as the junction?

other than that tramway near torksey its brilliant :lol:

I have adjusted the Rochdale, and have decided to offer you an alternatively coloured Fossdyke. I can't see much mileage in changing Stoke-on-Trent to Etruria though. It will only mean finding extra room to mention the city separately. Notably, the city took the name of Stoke partly because the town of Stoke-upon-Trent had the best connections, including the canal passing through it.

http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/2890/full...analmapplus.png

I also offer up a mere folly of the cruising rings in the same format:

http://img6.imageshack.us/img6/9865/canalrings.png

Edited by tafkam

I have adjusted the Rochdale, and have decided to offer you an alternatively coloured Fossdyke.

Excellent! Now it must be time to add the Witham Navigable Drains!

[map]

:lol:

(Not quite as bad as it looks, since the waterways shown as thin lines on that map are not navigable or not connected, and there is no way out of the southern end of Maud Foster Drain onto the Witham.)

Oh, and don't forget Kyme Eau!

Edited by MartinClark

• 3 weeks later...
Being clearly in no way related to the London Underground, I'm not sure that my map could be a problem for TFL since the original maps are protected by copyright. As there is nothing copied but the general idea of the colours and straight lines - neither of which could be covered by copyright - there should be no issue.

There is slightly more of an issue with Richard's since it does mimic the original design somewhat.

And I certainly have no issue with it being posted elsewhere - although I'd like to know where :lol:

Sorry to resurrect this so late but I have just got home after 5 weeks on the boat. One of the places I visited while taking part in the BCNS Explorer cruise was The Great Weston Public House near the top of the Wolverhampton 21. Hanging on the wall in there is a map, drawn just like the underground map and your map, but showing the location of all the Pub Stops in Plymouth. It was published by JJM Designs Ltd http://www.pubstops.co.uk/3.html

Edited to say after reading more of the posts I see someone mentioned pub stops

Edited by ditchcrawler