An alternative canal map

tafkam

Featured Posts

Killing time lately, I got to pursuing a rather arduous task of mapping the canals in a slightly different style. Doubtless there are some initial errors, but thought folks might like to see the efforts:

As a fan of Harry Beck's map I like the idea! :lol:

Yet some inconsistencies - for example you include the River Lee (Lea) but not the Thames.

Including or excluding river navigations and rivers - now that will be a real challenge!

Keep up the good work.

Best wishes

Stewey

Yet some inconsistencies - for example you include the River Lee (Lea) but not the Thames.

I'm slightly confused, as I can see a line linking Lechlade, Oxford, Reading, Brentford, Limehouse, etc.

Is that not the Thames, (other than where it's the Isis, of course) ?

I'm slightly confused, as I can see a line linking Lechlade, Oxford, Reading, Brentford, Limehouse, etc.

Why does that confuse you? Surely what you see is the Isis . . .

You're right - damn, need to get new glasses!

Stewey

without wanting to wee on anybodys fire. theres one of these on jim shead

You've missed the point.

There are waterways maps all over the place but this is the first Harry Beck type one I've seen, though Wikipedia do something similar for individual waterways.

Compared to Tafkam's effort, that's a mess. And Tafkam's is a first draft!

well maggie i did not draw the nabo map so whether it is a mess or not it is nowt to do with me.

as you say it is his first draft and after looking at stuff like nabo,s effort he may include a spot showing the bridgewater joining the leeds and liverpool leigh branch and going to preston brook , at the moment it looks to be l&l "coloured green".

well maggie i did not draw the nabo map so whether it is a mess or not it is nowt to do with me.

as you say it is his first draft and after looking at stuff like nabo,s effort he may include a spot showing the bridgewater joining the leeds and liverpool leigh branch and going to preston brook , at the moment it looks to be l&l "coloured green".

Gaggle,

If I thought you'd drawn it, I'd have been far more diplomatic about it

"lacks the clarity and simplicity of the OP's version" :lol:

:lol:

Killing time lately, I got to pursuing a rather arduous task of mapping the canals in a slightly different style. Doubtless there are some initial errors, but thought folks might like to see the efforts:

gallery_3902_484_263994.jpg

At the risk of being picky...

Ashton-under-Lyne, not Lyme.

And who pinched Bugsworth.