Problems with payments

LadyG

Featured Posts

25 minutes ago, LadyG said:

and because they seem unable to produce this statement of account, which is a simple document, it would acknowledge my payments, that is why I want it.

But you know you have paid, and have bank statements showing those payments. It doesn't seem that they have disputed receiving any money, so why do you need the acknowledgement?

Posted (edited)

When you pay someone, they give you a receipt, that's how business works.

Records are kept for accounting purposes.

Accounts are kept so tax is paid.

The taxman uses that money to keep the economy running.

Edited by LadyG
  • Haha 3

6 minutes ago, LadyG said:

That's where my coal boat hassle started, no receipt. When I gave up arguing and sent a further cheque (which arguably I shouldn't have done) I requested a receipt by return of post. I never got one, and as far as I can tell they've not cashed the cheque, either. Canal businesses tend to be a bit of a shambles.

11 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

That's where my coal boat hassle started, no receipt. When I gave up arguing and sent a further cheque (which arguably I shouldn't have done) I requested a receipt by return of post. I never got one, and as far as I can tell they've not cashed the cheque, either. Canal businesses tend to be a bit of a shambles.

That's good hat they didn't cash your cheque, Arthur. Not good to have had the hassle but at least in the end they seemed to accept your word. 

2 hours ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Sound a bit like my bucket of grief with the fuel boat mob, which was all down to lousy accounting and crap communication. Some of these canal firms are so inefficient it's a wonder they stay in business, though it's odd that every mistake they make means you get overcharged, never, ever, under!

I got under charged on bus the other day,

paid by contactless,

charged me 10p instead of £2!

didn’t realise til later in evening. 

29 minutes ago, haggis said:

That's good that they didn't cash your cheque, Arthur. Not good to have had the hassle but at least in the end they seemed to accept your word. 

I don't think they did. I think they just lost the cheque and thought they'd paid it in. If they'd decided to accept my word they'd have let me know, especially in the light of the rather stonking letter that went with the cheque. Even if they had, they should in the interests of security, let me know they had torn up the cheque. But they've done nothing. They must have recieved the letter because I demanded they remove my details from their database, and I no longer get texts telling me when they are delivering. They'll probably find the cheque in another six months and try to pay it in, when the bank will refuse it until they've checked with me.

5 hours ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Sound a bit like my bucket of grief with the fuel boat mob, which was all down to lousy accounting and crap communication. Some of these canal firms are so inefficient it's a wonder they stay in business, though it's odd that every mistake they make means you get overcharged, never, ever, under!

That is why lots of them don't.

Edited by ditchcrawler
wong word

1 hour ago, beerbeerbeerbeerbeer said:

paid by contactless,

Was it one of the capped fares things?  If you'd already done one or more journeys that day paying by the same card some bus companies cap the total for the day.

18 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Was it one of the capped fares things?  If you'd already done one or more journeys that day paying by the same card some bus companies cap the total for the day.

No, I hadn’t bought a bus ticket for 4 or 5 days, and that was in a different county, 

2 hours ago, beerbeerbeerbeerbeer said:

paid by contactless,

They often do a holding transaction of 10p but a few days later it will show as a £2 transaction 

3 hours ago, LadyG said:

I won't be using them again, its too much hassle. 

Heaven forfend that in refusing to respond to your demands for time-consuming statements, replies to your emails and what-have-you, this might be their preferred and planned outcome...

• Haha 2

19 minutes ago, beerbeerbeerbeerbeer said:

just had a look at online bank statement,

and you’re correct,

what’s all that about then,

why they do that?

I think its because they can only calculate the actual chargeable fare once "the day" or maybe "the week" ends, because if you (for example) made 4 bus journeys but the "day ticket" rate was less than £8, they'd charge you the day ticket rate. Bus companies vary (a lot) in their approach, some would just keep charging £2 singles for each journey though (so you'd need to know in advance, if you were going to use the bus again and again that day).

In all my time self employed, I only ever issued hand written invoices, never sent any statements, and never used expensive accounting packages. I accepted cheques, cash and bank transfers. on 2 occasions when I did not get paid, I used the small claims court to good effect.

I've never paid up front for work, and if my contractor is not VAT regd, then I've bought materials myself rather than pay him to get them.

You have to do an awful lot of work if you have little 'cost of sales' (materials etc) to breach the vat threshold.

• Greenie 2

6 hours ago, truckcab79 said:

>>  They live in a £6m property…….and paid me £895 for the work. C’est la vie.  😂😂

That's how they can afford a £6m house.

3 hours ago, beerbeerbeerbeerbeer said:

paid by contactless,

I alwaus pay for my bus journeys by contactless...

... bus pass.

5 hours ago, LadyG said:

If you say so!
You do seem to like proving you don't understand how small businesses work.

5 minutes ago, Graham Davis said:

If you say so!
You do seem to like proving you don't understand how small businesses work.

Many, many years ago as a self employed person I can remember having to send accounts in to the Tax Office with my Return. When that ended is lost in the mists of time, but your Return has to be pretty weird before the IR will ask to see accounts, especially as there's probably only one person in every four offices who could understand them. Now they just want figures for turnover, expenses (not itemised) and profit. And nobody looks at 95% of tax returns anyway. That's what "Self Assessment" means.

• Greenie 2

22 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

And nobody looks at 95% of tax returns anyway.

It is a statistical thing, You have to fall outside the norm for your kind of business, and for your previous years returns.  I guess when they start using AI, they will query a few more.