Travelling metal worker/welder recommendations

Featured Posts

Hi. I need to find someone who can repair my cruiser stern deck hatches. They're two large steel hatches and the four hinges have rusted through. The hinges need replacing. Ideally I would like someone whose work comes recommended and who can travel to my boat on the Cov. Any recommendations, please? 

If you want a mobile welding service they should have their own generator in their van, but how is access and how near could their van get to your boat? Or do you have shore power at your mooring?

There might be other ways of doing it without welding such as bolting the new hinges on. I suggest you get some stainless hinges specifically for external use as anything else (other than brass or aluminium) will quickly start to corrode.

Edited by blackrose

I've not used them, but Kev Kyte Marine Engineering travels extensively and from the photos I've seen and positive reviews knows his onions - interweb search will provide his details. 

https://www.briangreaves.com

give Brian a ring,

I saw him the other day on the Staff and Worcester heading towards the Trent and Mersey 

ask him if he’ll be heading your way anytime soon. 
You might be in luck. 

at a glance his website is art work but I know he does plenty of boat repairs too. He can pull alongside to work. 

3 hours ago, blackrose said:

There might be other ways of doing it without welding such as bolting the new hinges on. I suggest you get some stainless hinges specifically for external use as anything else (other than brass or aluminium) will quickly start to corrode.

I know BSP has some mobility issues, but agree grind/chisel off the old ones and replace with bought hinges. I don't think they need to be SS, there are quite a few hinges designed for welding on, which have no predrilled holes.  I've done something similar on a side hatch hinge that failed and then used countersunk machine screws (in stainless) to fix them in place, painted up they are fine.   I originally did it that way intending to weld it up when i could get a big enough generator to run my welder, but i've never bothered. (also saved any issues with welding heat) 

37 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Passed a moored boat today and they had bolted stainless steel hinges and Allen roundhead  bolts

DSCF8950.JPG

You can see why they are not a commonly chosen option.

Absolute shiite - particularly when left to let moss grow into them

51 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

You can see why they are not a commonly chosen option.

Absolute shiite - particularly when left to let moss grow into them

But look at them, they're in the shape of a pair of boats breasted-up, perhaps the moss is to simulate the weed growth on the hulls of a pair of those oft-mentioned boats in that London? ;) 

• Happy 1
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Hudds Lad said:

But look at them, they're in the shape of a pair of boats breasted-up, perhaps the moss is to simulate the weed growth on the hulls of a pair of those oft-mentioned boats in that London? ;) 

Yes - good point I'd never considered that it may be owned by an NBTA (No Boats Travel Anywhere) member.

On 28/02/2024 at 08:03, beerbeerbeerbeerbeer said:

https://www.briangreaves.com

give Brian a ring,

I saw him the other day on the Staff and Worcester heading towards the Trent and Mersey 

ask him if he’ll be heading your way anytime soon. 
You might be in luck. 

at a glance his website is art work but I know he does plenty of boat repairs too. He can pull alongside to work. 

Having used him several times in the past when he was on the K&A. I can strongly recommend Brian. We also have one of his Ripple candlesticks on our fire hearth.

Edited by David Schweizer
  • Greenie 1

20 minutes ago, David Schweizer said:

Having used him several times in the past when he was on the K&A. I can strongly recommend Brian. We also have one of his Ripple candlesticks on our fire hearth.

Just realised it might look to the OP as if I’d simply pulled his name off the internet,

Perhaps I should have have said I’ve used him too,

He really would be the perfect solution IF he’s planning on going down the Coventry Canal,

10 hours ago, beerbeerbeerbeerbeer said:

Just realised it might look to the OP as if I’d simply pulled his name off the internet,

Perhaps I should have have said I’ve used him too,

He really would be the perfect solution IF he’s planning on going down the Coventry Canal,

We traveled for a couple of days with him and his wife on the K&A. Lovely unassuming couple