Rusty shackle

Featured Posts

19 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

I reckon if this thread continues much longer, the shackle will have rusted off, fallen in the water and discovered by detectorists in the year 2086. The OP could have built an angle grinder by now.

The OP could have cut it off with a nail file by now... 😉

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

I reckon if this thread continues much longer, the shackle will have rusted off, fallen in the water and discovered by detectorists in the year 2086. The OP could have built an angle grinder by now.

Probably still writing the risk assessment for the scaffolding company before he attempt the job. 

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 2

Vinegar as it's acidic should do the trick, wrap a bit of cloth or kitchen roll  have a brew then give it another go.

Must admit that when I read the title I thought what a great name for a rap singer, Rusty Shakles.

K

Just now, TheBiscuits said:

That's not for shackles.

You're only supposed to blow the doors off ;)

Wasn't this an instruction from Boeing ? 

Just now, Mike Tee said:

Why does the size of the cabinet maker matter?

Apparently if they are short they try harder and the outcome is better. 

Another way to break the shackle would be to bypass any weak links with other shackles then deliberately get the fender caught on a gate. Up or down and wait for the satisfying click noise. 

This would only deal with one to be fair. 

There is an argument for using extra large UV rated cable ties for the fenders. 

1 hour ago, magnetman said:

Another way to break the shackle would be to bypass any weak links with other shackles then deliberately get the fender caught on a gate. Up or down and wait for the satisfying click noise. 

This would only deal with one to be fair. 

There is an argument for using extra large UV rated cable ties for the fenders. 

Not to be recommended. 

Screenshot_20240109_171942.jpg

Screenshot_20240109_172742.jpg

Edited by Jon57
Addition
  • Greenie 1

It is odd that the fender isn't squashed. 

also odd that with two Boats in the lock nobody would have noticed any problems on the way down. 

The mark on the woodwork is interesting. More to this than just a fender I think. 

Its impossible for the Juniper Boat to be in that position with the lock at that level. I think the Boat got mildly hung up and somebody panicked, refilled the lock not knowing what would happen and flooded the back of it. 

6 hours ago, kevinl said:

Vinegar as it's acidic should do the trick, wrap a bit of cloth or kitchen roll  have a brew then give it another go.

Must admit that when I read the title I thought what a great name for a rap singer, Rusty Shakles.

K

Rusty Shackles' first album 'Money for old rope' was a classic

Some of these rappers have more money than you can shake a stick at.

Its so sick. 

They aren't shackled to da wage slave jobs like da others they not got da C63 they got da Maybach know what I'm saying? 

The moorer who recently got away on the Lee side in strong wind using the grapple iron could lend it to the OP.

Attach the grapple iron/ hook to a tree on the bank with rope and set off on full power with the rope attached to the shackle. That should do it I think? 

Perhaps🤔  😉 

• 2 weeks later...

Again, thanks for all the advice and wit  - appreciated and enjoyed in equal measure.

In the end, I bought some 14" bolt cutters and they came off easily enough - a couple at considerable speed!

Thanks again

• Greenie 1