Boat Sunk.

Featured Posts

5 hours ago, IanM said:

The only two I can think of is the one right by the bridge at the bottom of the Napton flight and the large one at Shuckburgh.  There are a few flood paddles dotted around that stretch though.

Good spot! It flows for much of the year too at Lower Shuckburgh  😊

5 hours ago, Stroudwater1 said:

It’s surprising it does that as most long pounds have overflow relief bywash/weirs around the place. I can’t think of one offhand on this pound, must be ones somewhere or the only way to loose water would be down Calcutt or Hillmorton lock bywash/ gate overtopping. 

As well as direct rain and field run off it has the bywash/ drainage from Napton and part of Norton/Buckby Leics GU  pounds to take too. 

There is an overflow at Lower Shuckburgh.

When Calcutt marina overflowed last they found out that the reason why was that a boat was moored alongside the overflow thus reducing its effectiveness 

• 2 weeks later...
Just now, ditchcrawler said:

It didn't  give in easily did it. an all day job.

And all night too, it looks like. 

I slogged all through the video only to find it never showed the complete recovery. Video stops at dusk with the boat still in much the same place, and skips to the following morning and we see the boat magically floating and moored up on the staging. 

And jeez doesn't the bod love the sound of his own voice!! 

• Greenie 4

On 04/02/2024 at 14:18, ditchcrawler said:

It didn't  give in easily did it. an all day job.

There is a lengthy but nonetheless interesting commentry on both the sinking and raising of this boat attached to this YouTube video :

Sunken Barrow Narrowboat Finally Out (youtube.com) 

The author of the commentary, Tony Dunkley, is, for several reasons, almost certainly uniquely qualified to comment. Two of the more notable grounds derive from his almost lifelong experience of boating on the Rivers Soar and Trent - firstly, and beginning in the 1950's, as an 8 year-old lad enjoying rides with his father on the BW Nottinghm - Leicester grain traffic commercials, at that time using Nottingham Pans and BW's then new Bantam Pusher Tugs, one of which, "Will Scarlet" still remains in service with BWB's appallingly incompetent and corrupt successors.

Secondly, and of greater significance, is the fact that by the early 1980's, and gained in no small part from raising a long sunken vessel in Nottingham, held by BW's Engineers, after their own multiple failed attempts, to be impossible, his professional reputation and work achievement track record as a commercial boat operator, contractor and marine engineer led to him becoming BWB's first, and for a time, only, approved and recommended contractor for the removal and/or salvaging of sunk, stranded or abandoned boats under the provisions of the then newly introduced Section 8 of the British Waterways Act of 1983.

Edited by GHL
Punctuation and some wording

On 04/02/2024 at 10:26, matty40s said:

Finally rescued, quick polish and Jif inside and no problem.

Apologies in advance to @matty40s if it's your video!  I'll probably watch this and the other video later, but its too long for coffee break 

I've noticed a lot of these types of video are around the half hour mark, when ten minutes would probably get 95% of the message over and be much more watchable - is there a reason for this?

37 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

Hello Tony. You are not very subtle!

And the lord said 'let there be commas' and there were commas. A lot of them. 

13 in one sentence ! 

Or is it 12?

• Greenie 1

On 04/02/2024 at 14:22, MtB said:

And jeez doesn't the bod love the sound of his own voice!!

10 minutes ago, magpie patrick said:

I'll probably watch this and the other video later, but I struggle to believe the material warrants nearly half an hour!

I've noticed a lot of these types of video are around the half hour mark, when ten minutes would serve just as well - is there a reason for this?

I'm glad I'm not the only one that thought this. An interesting subject, but an unwatchable video due to a complete lack of editing. Long periods of nothing happening except the bloke droning on, which could have been cut right down. And awful camera work hosing about like mad - there's a lot to be said for a tripod and fixed camera positions!

Edited by David Mack
  • Greenie 1

51 minutes ago, magpie patrick said:

I've noticed a lot of these types of video are around the half hour mark, when ten minutes would probably get 95% of the message over and be much more watchable - is there a reason for this?

Yes much more chance of having adverts and monetising the video (which I see has already had 90k views) 

Hence the clickbaity titles too. 

42 minutes ago, Stroudwater1 said:

Yes much more chance of having adverts and monetising the video (which I see has already had 90k views) 

Hence the clickbaity titles too. 

Now I know they're droning on for profit I'm even less likely to watch them! 

I suspect that's got an upper limit  - I follow a variety of vlogs, some of whom are living quite well off the proceeds - The Tim Traveller for example makes travel vlogs for a living, lives in Paris and, until recently self funded all his work* (i.e. paid for his own travel to make the vlogs) - his videos are typically 7-10 minutes long and give the number of followers it's clearly a winning formula. 

*He's recently been paid by the Olso Tourist Board to make two videos, but before that his vlogs paid for his adventures and he has no other job

3 hours ago, magpie patrick said:

Apologies in advance to @matty40s if it's your video!  I'll probably watch this and the other video later, but its too long for coffee break 

Someone else mentioned it, like the sound of their own voice and no idea how to edit effectively.

No, not me in any shape or form.

I didnt realise it was that long as I spent about 30 seconds watching it....

Edited by matty40s

5 minutes ago, matty40s said:

And in that 30 seconds, I'd say 95% of the content of the video was covered. For the remaining 5%, skip to the last couple of minutes where you'll see a view of the boat moored up against the pontoon. 

There are no views in the whole video of the boat actually being recovered and floated over to the pontoon.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, matty40s said:

Someone else mentioned it, like the sound of their own voice and no idea how to edit effectively.

No, not me in any shape or form.

I watched it at twice standard speed. Didn't miss any of the content but the camera movement was nauseating!