Rivers flood at Gunthorpe, Billing Aquadrome etc.

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, GUMPY said:

Went out wandering yesterdayΒ 

Β 

Β 

Β 

"Its over the fields."

Not much gets past you does it....

😜

20 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

Our neighbours have just gone to check on their caravan at Torksey. It was close last night. Fingers crossed for them!

Β 

Will be a close call on the flood gates at Torksey Lock that 😳

Luckily, it's one of the lowest tides on this moon cycle...

Edited by matty40s

2 minutes ago, matty40s said:

"Its over the fields."

Not much gets past you does it....

😜

Some people might assume there is a car park down there 😲😎😱πŸ₯΄

• Happy 1

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

Cromwell Lock and Dunham Bridge

Β 

In all my years on the Trent I've never seen anything that bad at Cromwell

Β 

I cannot see the bridge or visitors pontoon, presumambly the electric bollard will have 'tripped'

Edit - can see it in the 2nd picture.

Β 

"Happier times"

Β 

With the Cruiser

Β 

image.jpeg.3af98623c01b1e8cdafaf6e819724f41.jpeg

Β 

Β 

And with the NB

Β 

Β 

image.thumb.jpeg.337a1b2a87474c3e62663f6b9992a50a.jpeg

Edited by Alan de Enfield

26 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Β 

Β 

I cannot see the bridge or visitors pontoon, presumambly the electric bollard will have 'tripped'

Β 

"Happier times"

Β 

With the Cruiser

Β 

Β 

Β 

And with the NB

Β 

Β 

I'm guessing the pontoon and bollards are working their way downstream somewhere by now.

Β 

Same with the pontoons from Torksey Lock Cut!

In year 2000 we lived where we are now in Farndon. The highest recorded river level was November 2000 and that was not exceeded this time. I can confirm that by observation that the flood entered our garden but did not extend as far up the garden as it had in 2000.

Similarly the river gauge at Muskham shows the level this time was not a new record. Muskham is just upstream of Cromwell.

However a new record was set this time at Torksey.

image.png.4ad9fdcf665b78f6eaa24dcf301f15ad.png

image.png.65b14d86ee1b1f034b2d00bddb8b3189.png

image.png.4818dd1a1cdd8b82a6dec7b5fed179c3.png

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Β 

Β 

Β 

"Happier times"

Β 

With the Cruiser

Β 

Β 

Β 

And with the NB

Β 

Β 

Β 

1 hour ago, Naughty Cal said:

I'm guessing the pontoon and bollards are working their way downstream somewhere by now.

Β 

If you zoom in on the left of the second photo the visitor mooring pontoons are still in place.

Β 

There was a photo on Facebook a couple of days ago showing the Torksey pontoon with a Dutch barge moored/a marooned.

Most of the locks above Marlow on Thames have broken previous records now. Where I am the 2014 record is 1.36m we are on 1.31 now.

I think there will be a lot of cleaning up to do after this.

Β 

Β 

I was just out walking earlier and noticed a mill stream, which usually gets just a tiny bit of flow and has a simple sluice, was pulling vast amounts of water and actually drawing in floating debris which would normally go towards the ordinary weirs. i saw a pair of car seats going down there. Channel is only about 25 feet wide and a few feet deep its not meant to handle that much water.Β 

Β 

Bad news.Β 

Β 

Β 

On 05/01/2024 at 08:22, pearley said:

Huntingdon yesterday so higher now. Portholme Meadow in distance always floods. Narrowboat is on the Visitor Moorings with a live aboard who says he's fine.

FB_IMG_1704442041552.jpg

He's a nice chap and he does have waders, but I'm still glad I decided not to stick around at the other end of that visitor mooring...

12 minutes ago, enigmatic said:

He's a nice chap and he does have waders, but I'm still glad I decided not to stick around at the other end of that visitor mooring...

If you are going to overstay then the next visitor mooring upstream, immediately down from the bridge, has a water tap.

14 minutes ago, pearley said:

If you are going to overstay then the next visitor mooring upstream, immediately down from the bridge, has a water tap.

Boat's in Hartford where I no longer have to worry about that sort of thing!

Β 

Don't think anyone really has a choice about overstaying at the moment, but with the weekend floods the only places I'd feel remotely comfortable about mooring a narrowboat are the pontoon in St Neots or the Waites in St Ives. I guess the mooring you're referring to would be okay with wellies...

11 hours ago, enigmatic said:

Boat's in Hartford where I no longer have to worry about that sort of thing!

Β 

Don't think anyone really has a choice about overstaying at the moment, but with the weekend floods the only places I'd feel remotely comfortable about mooring a narrowboat are the pontoon in St Neots or the Waites in St Ives. I guess the mooring you're referring to would be okay with wellies...

We're. In Hartford too. D27. There's a widebeam moored on the Waites although the water there was over the first wall. There's been another widebeam for some time at St Neots who just moved between the 3 mooring spots so he's probably on the pontoon there.

The level has been dropping slowly over the last few days but last night by 10 or 12 inches.

2 hours ago, pearley said:

Β 

The level has been dropping slowly over the last few days but last night by 10 or 12 inches.

Back to almost summer level on the Cardington stretch now and flow has slowed down considerablyΒ πŸ™‚

3 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Β 

The River Soar as the flood waters drop :

Β 

Rubbish by River Soar

Β 

Litter

Β 

Leicester: Floods leave river 'festooned' with litter - BBC News

The Outdoor Pursuit Centre at Birstall are organizing regular litter picks along the stretch of the river that they use, to help clear away the debris left by the flood. Much of the rubbish comes in from the stream that enters the navigable section on the right below Lime Kiln Lock.

• Greenie 1

36 minutes ago, Cheshire cat said:

That looks like a lot of debris to come down a stream. What's its source? The local recycling centre?

As Richard points out above, the Leicester City storm drains outflow enter the navigation just below Lime Kiln Lock. There is no catch net system or grids to separate the rubbish so it fills the canal, and subsequently the river below Abbey Park.Β 

It is always bad after a flood year, this was the highest it has ever been so even worse.

Β 

Screenshot_20240111-180852_Maps.jpg

I Have been to Barrow on Soar today to check on a plot of land that the Scouts own, its between the railway line and the river below Pillings weir. The land is fine. The sunk wide beam appears to have been refloated as its no longer there. I also went to Barrow bridge. The sunk boat is still there but with care a narrow boat can squeeze past it to get under the bridge, one did whilst I was there. Refloating the boat will not be easy, the stern is almost out of the water with the bow in the navigable channel. Some big air bags may well be needed. From the last photo you can see the bridge buttresses which caused the boat to roll on its side. Air bags under it so it was lifted off them may have prevented this from happening.

IMG_6816.JPG

IMG_6817.JPG

IMG_6819.JPG

17 minutes ago, Richard T said:

I Have been to Barrow on Soar today to check on a plot of land that the Scouts own, its between the railway line and the river below Pillings weir. The land is fine. The sunk wide beam appears to have been refloated as its no longer there. I also went to Barrow bridge. The sunk boat is still there but with care a narrow boat can squeeze past it to get under the bridge, one did whilst I was there. Refloating the boat will not be easy, the stern is almost out of the water with the bow in the navigable channel. Some big air bags may well be needed. From the last photo you can see the bridge buttresses which caused the boat to roll on its side. Air bags under it so it was lifted off them may have prevented this from happening.

IMG_6816.JPG

IMG_6817.JPG

IMG_6819.JPG

From thoseΒ  photos you can see the problem with winching it anywhere when the river was in flood

Β 

16 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Refloating of the widebeam.

Β 

If they got it up with an hours pumpig using a pump that size they must have been very sure there was no water leaking in around doors or windows, or through sink waste, gas locker drain, low level cabin vents or any similar openings. Did they go round and seal any openings first?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 07/01/2024 at 13:27, Naughty Cal said:

Β 

We were at TorkseyΒ  today (by road) .i am pleased to reportΒ  theΒ  former tea room has opened as a coffee shop. Open Wednesday to Sunday .

Β 

The pontoon on the tidal sideΒ  isΒ  still thereΒ 

There were sandbagsΒ  with plastic covers placed in lines as if to defend against the gates over topping but they looked clean so perhaps the water remained just below the gates.Β 

The water level is stillΒ  fairly high but nothing like it would have been in the floods.

Β 

Even now the fields are saturated so the slightest rain causes the river to rise . We need a dry spell.

Β 

8 hours ago, Momac said:

We were at TorkseyΒ  today (by road) .i am pleased to reportΒ  theΒ  former tea room has opened as a coffee shop. Open Wednesday to Sunday .

Β 

The pontoon on the tidal sideΒ  isΒ  still thereΒ 

There were sandbagsΒ  with plastic covers placed in lines as if to defend against the gates over topping but they looked clean so perhaps the water remained just below the gates.Β 

The water level is stillΒ  fairly high but nothing like it would have been in the floods.

Β 

Even now the fields are saturated so the slightest rain causes the river to rise . We need a dry spell.

Β 

We have had the wettest February on record in the East Midlands on the back of an already wet winter. It is going to take a long time for everything to dry out.Β 

Β 

We called in at Torksey last weekend on the way to a friends house. Not been since we sold the boat!

Β 

Think we are staying in the van there next weekend.Β 

1 hour ago, Naughty Cal said:

We have had the wettest February on record in the East Midlands on the back of an already wet winter. It is going to take a long time for everything to dry out.Β 

Β 

We called in at Torksey last weekend on the way to a friends house. Not been since we sold the boat!

Β 

Think we are staying in the van there next weekend.Β 

Hosepipe bans in august πŸ˜‚

• Haha 2