Rivers flood at Gunthorpe, Billing Aquadrome etc.

Featured Posts

The Pub carpark - the river is the 'far side' you can just make out the 'Lock Ahead' & 'Weir Ahead' signs

The River Trent has burst its banks in Gunthorpe, flooding the Unicorn Hotel's car park on Trentside on the morning of Tuesday, January 2

Part of a Nottinghamshire village has been flooded after heavy rain fell during Storm Henk. The River Trent has burst its banks in Gunthorpe, flooding the Unicorn Hotel's car park on Trentside on the morning of Tuesday, January 2.

Pictures show the area flooded at around 12.30pm. The area was included in the Environment Agency's flood alert for the River Trent in Nottinghamshire, which advised it was possible communities around the river would be impacted.

River levels are expected to rise and remain high for several days, the government agency said. Also at risk are low-lying agricultural land and roads including communities near the River Trent, Queens Drive Park and Ride, Thrumpton Lane at Thrumpton, Shelford to Gunthorpe Road, Wykes Lane at Farndon, Kelham Road and Tolney Lane at Newark, Caythorpe to Hoveringham and Stoke Bardolph, and cellars of low-lying properties at Cavendish Bridge.

Get the latest news straight to your phone by joining us on WhatsApp

Elsewhere, river levels are forecast to rise at the Lowdham Grange river gauge as a result of further heavy rainfall on Tuesday, meaning flooding could occur near the Cocker Beck, until Tuesday. The Environment Agency said it was closely monitoring the situation along the Cocker Beck, with staff on-site operating pump equipment to reduce flood levels.

Gunthorpe flooded during Storm Henk as heavy rains bursts River Trent banks (msn.com)

Edited by Alan de Enfield

Bursting the bank to my mind means the bank has let go and will require repairing to maintain the water level. Overtopping is when the water level is higher than the crest of the bank and flows over the top like a weir, when the water level drops there is no damage to the bank and no repairs are required. River banks on parts of the Norfolk Broads are designed specifically for this 

• Greenie 3

The rain over the East Midlands in the last 48 hours has been biblical,  I have been up and down the M1 several times, and would have been better served in a hovercraft. Sileby was flooded again today, the A46 shut due to rivers flowing down it, the Wreake is at silly levels, the Nene valley is light brown, the A5 now shut for 9 hours due to flooding adjacent to the Watford locks....

• Greenie 1

• Alan de Enfield changed the title to Rivers flood at Gunthorpe, Billing Aquadrome etc.

That's amazing, no fall at all at that lock, the Leicester city storm drains come in just below there, and it is usually the most polluted, rubbish filled, and prop jamming stretch anywhere I have ever cruised(including the Walsall).

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, matty40s said:

That's amazing, no fall at all at that lock, the Leicester city storm drains come in just below there, and it is usually the most polluted, rubbish filled, and prop jamming stretch anywhere I have ever cruised(including the Walsall).

You’ve got a drone haven’t you? Have you took any shots from above?

Would like to see some of them. 

At Tixall today, there was as much water in the fields opposite as there was in the cut, would love to see that from above,

The River Penk has proper flooded too.

Just walked over the Nene at Islip Bridge. Looks to be running faster than I have seen. Even under the main navigation arch there was only about 4ft headroom 😱

40 minutes ago, beerbeerbeerbeerbeer said:

You’ve got a drone haven’t you? Have you took any shots from above?

Would like to see some of them..

Unfortunately, I still have to work for a living and its dark when I finish.

Chucking it down in the Nene catchment area again for the last 2 hours...

58 minutes ago, frangar said:

This was posted on Twitter earlier. I’m guessing it’s from Proctors….not good at all

IMG_0927.thumb.png.78fb598ad821d9403985014accb6c3e4.png

It's from half way down the north side of the park, facing towards Loughborough. Either its scaffolding poles have given way, or the whole mooring has been torn away, they are all DIY jobs on that stretch....albeit most have seen many years of floods.

The Soar is at unprecedented levels.

Starting to get interesting on the Thames. Abingdon is about 8 inches over previous high from 2014. 

This one came adrift somewhere above Sandford. Being held by the guard piles. (image stolen from fb)

IMG_20240105_011123.jpg.c1887c478219d1b937045fa6f5d60349.jpg

I think the EA are seriously concerned about Boats on weirs as things have changed recently and there seem to be more people unable to tie a Boat up. 

The next week will be interesting. 

Lots of rain tonight. 

St Ives on Wednesday night. Will have risen more now. The ester is just lapping over the Quayside. Normally the roof if that narrowboat would be level with the Quay.

That's the navigation arch.

PXL_20240103_172336446.jpg

Edited by pearley
  • Greenie 2

Huntingdon yesterday so higher now. Portholme Meadow in distance always floods. Narrowboat is on the Visitor Moorings with a live aboard who says he's fine.

FB_IMG_1704442041552.jpg

• Greenie 1

Hopefully the Great Ouse won't get much higher, we are visiting friends just up from there  near The King of the Belgians this weekend.

Whilst C is at the hairdresser's today I'm spending the time flood spotting in the Nene valley😲

37 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

The Bromley Arms, Fiskerton, River Trent

This was yesterday

416835713_10160454152453271_7712279515722594636_n.thumb.jpg.036697cb64fc7b4c7507782c3d06d11a.jpg

That is a lot of water, not like that when we moored there either.  

View up from the pontoon at summer level

af0666c8-2250-45c0-b29e-0e2f1b713306.jpeg

Aerial view of area around Newark

Flooding in Newark on Trent

Councillor Clarke explained that a number of places alongside the Trent Valley are being impacted by flood water, with the river levels expecting to reach 5.5m by this evening. He explained: "I think at the moment they (the Environment Agency) seem to be anticipating 5.5m which is the same level as November 2000 when the last really bad flooding took place."

Regarding the areas of the county impacted, he said: "I think down the Trent valley, as the Trent is still rising until this evening, so places like Radcliffe, Gunthorpe has been quite badly affected, Bleasby, and right through to Newark and Collingham. There are quite a substantial number of communities, if they are not already flooded then people need to be aware and taking precautions, if they have sandbags then put them out just in case.

57 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

The Bromley Arms, Fiskerton, River Trent

This was yesterday

416835713_10160454152453271_7712279515722594636_n.thumb.jpg.036697cb64fc7b4c7507782c3d06d11a.jpg

The pontoons are now at the top of the sliders, if the water gets any higher the pontoon will not rise

The biggest hazard here is sewage. 

These conditions are a green light for the water companies to dump the shit in the rivers to save some money so they can pay better dividends. 

They want to do this all the time and do but when it is flooding its the ideal opportunity to shift large volumes. 

• Greenie 3

2 minutes ago, magnetman said:

The biggest hazard here is sewage. 

These conditions are a green light for the water companies to dump the shit in the rivers to save some money so they can pay better dividends. 

They want to do this all the time and do but when it is flooding its the ideal opportunity to shift large volumes. 

This is an interesting resource -- https://www.thameswater.co.uk/edm-map

Scary amount of red double-exclamation-marks (currently discharging sewage into a water course)

• Greenie 1