Table salt gone soggy again. Frozen olive oil.

wakey_wake

Featured Posts

1 minute ago, Peanut said:

Table salt, in a plastic bottle, with a plastic lid, with a flip up plastic pourer, costs peanuts, lasts for ages, and the salt doesn't get damp, living on the boat. Do close the lid, though.

I never had this problem living aboard. It only happens to me when the boats are hobby boats and get cold when unused. 

• Greenie 1

15 hours ago, MtB said:

The problem with salt is it causes high blood pressure, a symptomless disorder that causes heart attacks. AIUI.

If one's BP is well controlled, there is no problem with scoffing delicious salt. 

One way of controlling BP is to keep your sodium intake down. 

You have just answered the question yourself. 

However, since it's cooking salt the OP has problems with, why does it needs to be granular at all? A chunk of clagged-together NaCl will still dissolve in the cooking water or the sauce.

7 hours ago, john.k said:

Rocksalt in small brick size ...or  ...there was a craze here at one time for a special 'salt mud' for exotic cooking.........or pink salt guaranteed made by peasants......very expensive.

Our Horses get lumps of Himalayan Pink Rock Salt a 25kg bag is ~£25 (inc postage) on the bay of E

Pink Himalayan Lump Rock Salt mined from the ancient Himalayan Mountain, is a great source of all the essential minerals and trace elements that your horses, Ponies, Sheep, Cows and Cattle need on a day to day basis. The Pink hue of the Salt Lick comes from the Salt’s high mineral content, more notably, Iron, but also along with Magnesium and Potassium, which are all vital for maintaining Animal health.

Himalayan Natural Rock Salt Lumps are completely natural, there is absolutely nothing added or taken away! Some mass-produced Rock Salt Lumps are made using certain Salts that have minerals added in during the manufacturing process, but that simply is not the case with our Himalayan Rock Salt Lumps. Minerals are naturally found already within the Salt, which makes it a perfect Agricultural Salt.

Himalayan Rock Salt Lumps are as the name suggests, Rocks of Salt, Horses and Ponies and other Livestock and Cattle such as Sheep’s and Cows should not be able to bite chunks off the Salt Lumps. They are also more weather resistant and can last much longer outdoors than synthetic substitutes. Cows/sheep/goats and horses all have a very well-defined appetite for sodium chloride (SALT) only surpassed by the need for water.  Because most plants do not provide sufficient sodium for the livestock/horses needs and may lack adequate chloride, salt supplementation is a vital part of any animal’s nutritional requirement. 

Himalayan Salt is a 550 million years old source of minerals and trace elements for livestock and horses. It is mined from the vast and ancient Himalayan Mountains; these salt licks must be the purest form of salt available. The distinctive rose-pink colour comes from the salts mineral content, such as iron, potassium, and magnesium, which are all vital for maintaining health. Himalayan rock salt licks are literally 'rock hard’, this means that livestock and horses are unable to bite chunks off the block, a problem that can occur with the softer ’pressed’ salt licks. These licks are also much more weather resistant and will not dissolve into a mush when left out in the rain, which means they can be safely left outside in the field for horses or cows to ‘self dose’. Our experience has shown that horses and cows do prefer these to other salt licks.

Himalayan Lump Rock Salt 25 kg - Picture 2 of 2

On 01/12/2023 at 08:05, MtB said:

The problem with salt is it causes high blood pressure, a symptomless disorder that causes heart attacks. AIUI.

If one's BP is well controlled, there is no problem with scoffing delicious salt. 

Precisely this!! Fish and chips are an essential in helping eat salt and vinigar. First lashings of salt followed by copious quantities of vinigar then lashings more salt!! Had my blood pressure taken at ospital couple of days ago and it was spot on and nothing to do with the bucket of tablets I take each day :wacko: One of our daughters is very lucky, she has very low blood pressure so the doctor tells her to eat more salt lol.

Edited by mrsmelly
  • Greenie 1

2 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Our Horses get lumps of Himalayan Pink Rock Salt a 25kg bag is ~£25 (inc postage) on the bay of E

Pink Himalayan Lump Rock Salt mined from the ancient Himalayan Mountain, is a great source of all the essential minerals and trace elements that your horses, Ponies, Sheep, Cows and Cattle need on a day to day basis. The Pink hue of the Salt Lick comes from the Salt’s high mineral content, more notably, Iron, but also along with Magnesium and Potassium, which are all vital for maintaining Animal health.

Himalayan Natural Rock Salt Lumps are completely natural, there is absolutely nothing added or taken away! Some mass-produced Rock Salt Lumps are made using certain Salts that have minerals added in during the manufacturing process, but that simply is not the case with our Himalayan Rock Salt Lumps. Minerals are naturally found already within the Salt, which makes it a perfect Agricultural Salt.

Himalayan Rock Salt Lumps are as the name suggests, Rocks of Salt, Horses and Ponies and other Livestock and Cattle such as Sheep’s and Cows should not be able to bite chunks off the Salt Lumps. They are also more weather resistant and can last much longer outdoors than synthetic substitutes. Cows/sheep/goats and horses all have a very well-defined appetite for sodium chloride (SALT) only surpassed by the need for water.  Because most plants do not provide sufficient sodium for the livestock/horses needs and may lack adequate chloride, salt supplementation is a vital part of any animal’s nutritional requirement. 

Himalayan Salt is a 550 million years old source of minerals and trace elements for livestock and horses. It is mined from the vast and ancient Himalayan Mountains; these salt licks must be the purest form of salt available. The distinctive rose-pink colour comes from the salts mineral content, such as iron, potassium, and magnesium, which are all vital for maintaining health. Himalayan rock salt licks are literally 'rock hard’, this means that livestock and horses are unable to bite chunks off the block, a problem that can occur with the softer ’pressed’ salt licks. These licks are also much more weather resistant and will not dissolve into a mush when left out in the rain, which means they can be safely left outside in the field for horses or cows to ‘self dose’. Our experience has shown that horses and cows do prefer these to other salt licks.

Himalayan Lump Rock Salt 25 kg - Picture 2 of 2

Any good with chips?

• Happy 1

Just now, peterboat said:

Any good with chips?

Only had Horse once (in France) and wasn't impressed.

We did have 'Donkey Knee caps' in Spain at a very upmarket restaurants and they were awful.

The Spanish are known to be a bit odd when it comes to food ........................

A man on a business trip in Spain decides to take in a bull fight. After the event, he stops in to the little restaurant next to the venue called "The Matador". As he checks out the menu trying to decide what he wants, he sees a waiter bring a dish to another customer.

The other customer starts eating what appear to be two large meatballs with great gusto. When the waiter comes to his table, the man asks about the dish. "Oh Senor, that is the Matador Special," replies the waiter in broken English, "Our very best dish! Fresh vegetables, beans and zee cojones from zee bull. We get the cojones immediately after the bull fight. Exquisito!"

"Okay, that's what I'll have," says the businessman.

"But I am very sorry Senor, but that dish is only available once per day."

Disappointed, the man chooses another dish and plans to order the Matador Special the next day.

The next day the man goes to the bull fight again, and afterwards stops into the restaurant. Just as the waiter is coming to his table, he sees another waiter bringing the Matador Special to a customer who got there before him. "Damn!" he says to himself. "And tomorrow's my last day here."

So the next day, he skips the bull fight, and arrives at the restaurant early. He is the first one seated, and proudly proclaims, "I'll have the Matador Special!"

"An excellent choice, Senor!" responds the waiter. Soon afterwards, the waiter brings out his dish, but the meat balls are disappointingly small, and taste rather foul.

"What's with this," the now angry man shouts, "I thought this was your premier dish!"

"I'm very sorry, Senor," said the waiter, "But you see, sometimes zee bull, he wins."

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Only had Horse once (in France) and wasn't impressed.

We did have 'Donkey Knee caps' in Spain at a very upmarket restaurants and they were awful.

The Spanish are known to be a bit odd when it comes to food ........................

A man on a business trip in Spain decides to take in a bull fight. After the event, he stops in to the little restaurant next to the venue called "The Matador". As he checks out the menu trying to decide what he wants, he sees a waiter bring a dish to another customer.

The other customer starts eating what appear to be two large meatballs with great gusto. When the waiter comes to his table, the man asks about the dish. "Oh Senor, that is the Matador Special," replies the waiter in broken English, "Our very best dish! Fresh vegetables, beans and zee cojones from zee bull. We get the cojones immediately after the bull fight. Exquisito!"

"Okay, that's what I'll have," says the businessman.

"But I am very sorry Senor, but that dish is only available once per day."

Disappointed, the man chooses another dish and plans to order the Matador Special the next day.

The next day the man goes to the bull fight again, and afterwards stops into the restaurant. Just as the waiter is coming to his table, he sees another waiter bringing the Matador Special to a customer who got there before him. "Damn!" he says to himself. "And tomorrow's my last day here."

So the next day, he skips the bull fight, and arrives at the restaurant early. He is the first one seated, and proudly proclaims, "I'll have the Matador Special!"

"An excellent choice, Senor!" responds the waiter. Soon afterwards, the waiter brings out his dish, but the meat balls are disappointingly small, and taste rather foul.

"What's with this," the now angry man shouts, "I thought this was your premier dish!"

"I'm very sorry, Senor," said the waiter, "But you see, sometimes zee bull, he wins."

Larks' tongues. Wrens' livers. Chaffinch brains. Jaguars' earlobes. Wolf nipple chips. Get 'em while they're hot

I can't add salt to food, it gives me leg cramps in the night.

OP:

Get yourself a glass container with a good-fitting glass lid.

Put a cup of phosphorus pentoxide inside the container together with but separate from, your salt.

Seal the joint between the lid and the container with a non-setting, non-aqueous, sealing grease.

Dry salt guaranteed.  Whether its still edible or not, I don't know :-

Wiki:

"Phosphorus pentoxide itself is not flammable. Just like sulfur trioxide, it reacts vigorously with water and water-containing substances like wood or cotton, liberates much heat and may even cause fire due to the highly exothermic nature of such reactions. It is corrosive to metal and is very irritating – it may cause severe burns to the eye, skin, mucous membrane, and respiratory tract even at concentrations as low as 1 mg/m3."

41 minutes ago, system 4-50 said:

OP:  [...] a cup of phosphorus pentoxide inside the container together with but separate from, your salt.

That would do it, but probably it would also do me. In.

This chap is (ironically) lamenting how difficult it is to get the stuff,

I've given it a dose of fan heater and also quite a while behind the desiccant dehumidifier. It sounds much better and sprinkles properly again, so I've wrapped in parcel tape.

If it goes again, the answer is not buy another cardboard container.

3 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

Precisely this!! Fish and chips are an essential in helping eat salt and vinigar. First lashings of salt followed by copious quantities of vinigar then lashings more salt!! Had my blood pressure taken at ospital couple of days ago and it was spot on and nothing to do with the bucket of tablets I take each day :wacko: One of our daughters is very lucky, she has very low blood pressure so the doctor tells her to eat more salt lol.

My daughter spent 7 years passing out without warning, when being checked for another problem they discussed her diet and said to take more salt.  Now she would nearly add salt to rock salt.  She hasn't collapsed in the last 10 years.

32 minutes ago, Jerra said:

My daughter spent 7 years passing out without warning, when being checked for another problem they discussed her diet and said to take more salt.  Now she would nearly add salt to rock salt.  She hasn't collapsed in the last 10 years.

Ours similar. She eventualy collapsed one evening and was attended very quickly before ambulance by a first responder who did an ecg. In A and E her trace was normal but the doctors said luckily the first responder had captured the problem as it was happening, she was fitted with a pacemaker the same day!! Thats about 12 years ago now and she still has low blood pressure. Its sods law isnt it, I dont take salt apart from on the occasional fish and chips lol and she is told to have as much as she wants :wacko:

1 hour ago, magnetman said:

I have never added salt to any food. Pasta, potatoes, other vegetables whatever it never gets any salt. 

We are the same. Good food doesn't need salt, it tastes good on its own the way it should be.

Masking the taste with salt is a fools game.