They built a dream

ditchcrawler

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, Tigerr said:

Often there is a tragic tale behind the sale of someone's dream. It is sad to see something that clearly involved a huge amount of effort, attention to detail and expense up for sale. Even if the hull shape is a bit awkward. It's a very comfortable looking living space by any measure. 

We shouldn't rush to judge.

It may be that there has been illness, bereavement, divorce, bankruptcy, or some other life changing external event that has derailed a dream. 

Mind you, where is Whitefield these days? Now that was a truly badly conceived project mounted by someone full of the overconfidence borne of ignorance. 

I remember Whitefield sitting at new and used boat company when I bought my widebeam, had a look around her she really needed to be electric with lifepo4s and a generator to make her work properly. 

27 minutes ago, peterboat said:

I remember Whitefield sitting at new and used boat company when I bought my widebeam, had a look around her she really needed to be electric with lifepo4s and a generator to make her work properly. 

Would your preference have been a diesel internal combustion engined gennie or a petrol internal combustion engine? ;)

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Would your preference have been a diesel internal combustion engined gennie or a petrol internal combustion engine? ;)

What about a wind generator ? 

One could have a tin of beans. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

That really was my point of posting it. Build the dream and in less than two years get rid of it, As @magnetman said, maybe they woke up.

Or they might just have been from that segment of society that thinks that 18 months is a long time (especially in  a job having responsibility!)

• Greenie 1

3 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

Some solar would have been good as well as a 600cc diesel generator, it was so energy dependent a drive engine was never going to be enough 

6 hours ago, magnetman said:

Maybe someone fell into the trap of thinking that living on a boat would be in some way similar to living on land .

The inside might look like a luxury apartment (I have not looked at the pictures) but the inescapable fact for inland boats is that the lavatory contents have to go up rather than down after use. 

This is bound to lead to trouble as it is against nature. 

that was my thought looking at it, someone wanted everything they had 'at home' without maybe much experience of canal boats....  or/and some difficult personal cirumstances.....  

22 minutes ago, magnetman said:

It will be the lavatory. 

It is always the lavatory. 

It may need a better lavatory. 

It is unlikely that it is not the lavatory. 

I think you're right, the sharp turn-around will have been lavatory-related.

Either the woman not liking it or the bloke being shocked to discover it was his job to pump out their effluent from time to time instead of magically disappearing like in a house.

39 minutes ago, beerbeerbeerbeerbeer said:

IF I had a luxury boat it’d be a state of art studio space with photography darkroom, print room with etching presses, kiln and potters wheel, and so on, 

and for guests a billiard table and bar 

what would you have in/on your luxury boat?

Billiard table is always a must have on a luxury boat for me. I went on a cruise liner last month and it was a great disappointment there was not even a pool table. Table tennis, but no pool or snooker. 

Of course on a narrowboat, its going to have to be a smaller sized table. 

23 minutes ago, MtB said:

I think you're right, the sharp turn-around will have been lavatory-related.

Either the woman not liking it or the bloke being shocked to discover it was his job to pump out their effluent from time to time instead of magically disappearing like in a house.

I doubt it was the latter - the butler does it.

1 minute ago, Tigerr said:

Billiard table is always a must have on a luxury boat for me. I went on a cruise liner last month and it was a great disappointment there was not even a pool table. Table tennis, but no pool or snooker. 

I'd imagine the motion of the ship would play havoc with your potting skills! 

5 minutes ago, MtB said:

I'd imagine the motion of the ship would play havoc with your potting skills! 

I dont know- could be a bigger version of those little games you used to get in Xmas Crackers- tilt it to get the ball in the hole.

Lovely looking boat anyhow- I would be happy to spend a couple of weeks moving it somewhere..🙂

Edited by PaulJ

13 minutes ago, Tigerr said:

Bar Billiards !

4 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

If I buy it can you get it to Alvecote for me?

Only if you dont mind the windows being taped up and moved sideways😀

Cheers for setting Bratch up beautifully for me- Are you on the really leafy bits yet ? Colwich lock was great fun 😀

6 minutes ago, PaulJ said:

Only if you dont mind the windows being taped up and moved sideways😀

Cheers for setting Bratch up beautifully for me- Are you on the really leafy bits yet ? Colwich lock was great fun 😀

Colwich lock wasn't bad but the bywash needs raking out and it looks as if the top gate paddle is full of branches

1 minute ago, ditchcrawler said:

Colwich lock wasn't bad but the bywash needs raking out and it looks as if the top gate paddle is full of branches

I was following another boat going uphill - they were really struggling coming out the lock- entrance and lock were choked with leaves- they ended up in the trees on the opposite bank.

Cleared it nicely for me though 😀

17 minutes ago, PaulJ said:

I was following another boat going uphill - they were really struggling coming out the lock- entrance and lock were choked with leaves- they ended up in the trees on the opposite bank.

Cleared it nicely for me though 😀

Always nice when someone else clears the way for you -- Midnight and friends obligingly did the Rochdale for me, they got razor wire and a mattress, all I got was a couple of carrier bags... 🙂

Edited by IanD
  • Happy 1
  • Haha 1