NB Sofa

Annie cariad

Featured Posts

14 minutes ago, Annie cariad said:

Anyone recommend a NB furniture maker we need a new sofa be nice to get one Tailored to fit the lounge this time 

Sofabed Barn. We got 2 of their 2-seater Richmond models (without foot bench, 1 arm each to make a long 4-seater) and are very happy with them, very comfortable as either sofa or bed 🙂

https://www.sofabedbarn.co.uk/home/75-richmond-2-seat.html

They're also happy to do customised versions of their sofas if required.

Unlike the first supplier we tried, they also break down into parts guaranteed to be small enough to get into a narrowboat...

Edited by IanD
  • Greenie 2

4 hours ago, blackrose said:

This is where a widebeam comes in handy. You can just buy reasonably priced regular furniture made for normal human beings rather than expensive bespoke furniture scaled down to Lord of the Rings/Gollum sizes.

The Sofabed Barn sofas were actually cheaper than the (regular furniture, similar size) one they replaced after we found out that the supplier's promise that it broke down into sections small enough to get in turned out to be untrue, because only half the backs came off... 😞

That cost several hours in Ricky's workshop trying to dismantle it (and then putting it back together), and then endless wrangling about why I should get a full refund not a partial one -- luckily I had emails from them wrongly stating that it dismantled after I'd said this was essential before I bought it.

Moral of the story : *always* get promises from suppliers in writing, not just verbally...

sofa breakdown.png

Edited by IanD

14 hours ago, IanD said:

Sofabed Barn. We got 2 of their 2-seater Richmond models (without foot bench, 1 arm each to make a long 4-seater) and are very happy with them, very comfortable as either sofa or bed 🙂

https://www.sofabedbarn.co.uk/home/75-richmond-2-seat.html

They're also happy to do customised versions of their sofas if required.

Unlike the first supplier we tried, they also break down into parts guaranteed to be small enough to get into a narrowboat...

Yes we got a Sofabed Barn Canterbury for our boat. Not the cheapest (although prices look lower now then when I bought ours in 2020) but excellent build quality and comfort, either as a sofa or as a bed.

Edited by cuthound
To remove a space pretending to be a letter
  • Greenie 1

58 minutes ago, cuthound said:

Yes we got a Sofabed Barn Canterbury for our boat. Not the cheapest (although prices look lower now then when I bought ours in 2020) but excellent build quality and comfort, either as a sofa or as a bed.

We went for the Hampton as we can configure it a few different ways and store the bedding and a few other bits inside.

Only problem is if there's guests you end up fighting for seats as it makes the dinette seem bloody uncomfortable :D 

1 minute ago, Hudds Lad said:

We went for the Hampton as we can configure it a few different ways and store the bedding and a few other bits inside.

Only problem is if there's guests you end up fighting for seats as it makes the dinette seem bloody uncomfortable :D 

Ours in in the saloon, near the stove, so when we cruise in winter we sleep on the sofa bed rather than the main bed as the stove is on for the duration of the cruise. Toasty!

• Greenie 1

Another vote for sofabed barn! You can go and visit their workshop to test and discuss, and they can make modifications to fit your needs I believe. Took about 4 weeks to be delivered, and fit in easily through the bow doors. Assembly was easy.

I got a sprung sofabed and it's very comfy to both sleep and sit.

20 minutes ago, DShK said:

You can go and visit their workshop to test and discuss

We did this as Bradford isn't far from us.

For anyone planning to go, make sure to have the phone number handy, and be patient. The workshop is in an old mill complex and is gated, they don't always hear the phone if the machinery is running. Despite agreeing a time to visit, it took around four attempts for the phone to pick up so he could pop down and open the main gate, as he was grafting away on his own ;) 

• Greenie 2

And if you're going to Bradford there are some cracking curry houses...

Why do they name settees after (usually posh) place names? What about the Scunthorpe? Or the Burnley? Or would that put people in mind of a settee sitting in someone's front yard or a back alley? If they did it for their budget range might encourage people to spend more? Ah, marketing...

8 minutes ago, Crewcut said:

And if you're going to Bradford there are some cracking curry houses...

Why do they name settees after (usually posh) place names? What about the Scunthorpe? Or the Burnley? Or would that put people in mind of a settee sitting in someone's front yard or a back alley? If they did it for their budget range might encourage people to spend more? Ah, marketing...

You see, it probably comes from a map of train stations....😄

48 minutes ago, Hudds Lad said:

We did this as Bradford isn't far from us.

For anyone planning to go, make sure to have the phone number handy, and be patient. The workshop is in an old mill complex and is gated, they don't always hear the phone if the machinery is running. Despite agreeing a time to visit, it took around four attempts for the phone to pick up so he could pop down and open the main gate, as he was grafting away on his own ;) 

So did we even though Bradford isn't that close to the Midlands. I don't like buying things like furniture, cars, boats etc without seeing them.

4 minutes ago, cuthound said:

So did we even though Bradford isn't that close to the Midlands. I don't like buying things like furniture, cars, boats etc without seeing them.

Its always an experience having a drive through the "crash for cash" capital of the country 😬

3 hours ago, DShK said:

Another vote for sofabed barn! You can go and visit their workshop to test and discuss, and they can make modifications to fit your needs I believe. Took about 4 weeks to be delivered, and fit in easily through the bow doors. Assembly was easy.

I got a sprung sofabed and it's very comfy to both sleep and sit.

Another bit of information that people might find useful -- they'll also cover them with a fabric of your choice if you send them a sample so they can check it works with their machines.

I did this so the sofa is covered in the same material as the dinette -- mine came from Modelli Fabrics, nice but a bit on the pricey side... 😉

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, Cheshire cat said:

Might be worth checking the caz rules if you are going to Bradford. I think it is anywhere inside the ring road plus the ringroad itself

Won't be a problem for most petrol cars less than about 15 years old, but will be for most diesels. You can check your car at https://www.gov.uk/clean-air-zones.

13 minutes ago, Cheshire cat said:

Might be worth checking the caz rules if you are going to Bradford. I think it is anywhere inside the ring road plus the ringroad itself

Should be off the M62, up the M606, A6036 to Odsal and then on to Queensbury, only time you'll be near the CAZ is coming off the M62.

Coming at it from north of Bradford may prove trickier as it also extends in a corridor up towards Shipley, Saltaire and Cottingley.

20 hours ago, David Mack said:

Won't be a problem for most petrol cars less than about 15 years old, but will be for most diesels. You can check your car at https://www.gov.uk/clean-air-zones.

I was thinking you might need a van if buying a sofa bed. Not too bad paying the charge as a one off but you really don't want to get hit with a fine if you haven't paid.