looking for a tow - 3 miles lock-free section of T&M

Helen B

Featured Posts

2 minutes ago, beerbeerbeerbeerbeer said:

no, I meant pulling,

😃

You’ll make sense of it when you get going. 

in some ways it’s probably easier to bow haul than be towed over a short distance. 

that's helpful to know, so it's definitely worth giving the bow-hauling a go. I'm feeling much more confident now! We'll pick a good day😀

7 minutes ago, M_JG said:

Im sure you will find someone but I just mentioned it so as you understand why a hire boater might decline.

We were gutted when we once declined on the Soar because just as the couple did their final bit of bow hauling to get the boat to safety the lady slipped and broke her wrist as she fell.

We did keep an eye on the boat while she went to a&e though, the least we could do really but we still felt a bit cr@p...

That sounds like an unfortunate experience. A few hire boaters go up and down that stretch (we were previously on a leisure mooring there), but plenty of other boaters too. I'll try and ask one of them and avoid any awkwardness.

• Happy 1

4 minutes ago, Helen Bailey said:

that's helpful to know, so it's definitely worth giving the bow-hauling a go. I'm feeling much more confident now! We'll pick a good day😀

just take it steady,

once the boat’s going forward,

then it’s going forward,

and there’s no rush. 
It’s wet and slippy at the moment so be careful. 

Seconding, the hire boat position.  We have reluctantly had to decline a request to tow on more than one occasion.  Frustrating but not allowed.  Having said that we have refloated a few boats over the years.

6 minutes ago, Ken X said:

Seconding, the hire boat position.  We have reluctantly had to decline a request to tow on more than one occasion.  Frustrating but not allowed.  Having said that we have refloated a few boats over the years.

Wow! All clear that it's best not to ask a hire boater - just to be on the safe side..

31 minutes ago, beerbeerbeerbeerbeer said:

just take it steady,

once the boat’s going forward,

then it’s going forward,

and there’s no rush. 
It’s wet and slippy at the moment so be careful. 

Thanks. I'll let everyone know how it goes..

1 hour ago, Helen Bailey said:

Thanks, we'll try adjusting the length..👍 

p.s. do you mean as in punting??!

So, maybe not hire boaters. But, it sounds like there are plenty of helpful people out there even without asking a hire boat

I've had a tow from hire boaters, whether they should or shouldn't! That's up to them, but no harm asking. Three miles and no locks is only an hour and a bit so I doubt they could do much harm, considering the pounding hire boats' gearboxes get anyway!

3 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

I've had a tow from hire boaters, whether they should or shouldn't! That's up to them, but no harm asking. Three miles and no locks is only an hour and a bit so I doubt they could do much harm, considering the pounding hire boats' gearboxes get anyway!

It is of course entirely possible a hire boater may not be aware they shouldn't tow another boat. This would possibly indicate they have limited experience as a hire boater from whom you might wish to ask yourself 'do I want this person to tow my boat?'

Or some hire co's may not stipulate anything about towing anything.

I just raised it so that the OP is aware and can decide accordingly.

The main issue will be the hire co's insurance will not cover towing if the t&c's the hire boater has signed up to say they are not covered.

I would just ask and TBH having hired on a number of occasions in the past I would have towed you. I suspect there’s much in the T&Cs that people overlook or aren’t aware of - it’s never been mentioned to me as a don’t do by any hire firm. 

is it any less easy using a long pole to steer from the stern and pull from the bow with the long rope described ? (assuming the OP has one)  Just feels better if someone was on board ? 

When pulled from the bows, the bows will get pulled towards the bank and trying to steer them away from the bank with a pole at the stern is quite difficult and you tend to end up with the boat against the towpath as it moves sideways.  Pulling with a stern line moves the bows away from the towpath which can then be pulled back towards the centre of the cut with the bow line, or someone on the bows with a pole and this moves the stern back out as long as you stop pulling the stern line whilst adjusting the bows.

It is better to have someone on the boat especially if you have to pass moored boats as they can then fend off and help move the tow line over pram hoods, solar panels, TV aerials and all the other rubbish sone people have on their roofs.

• Greenie 3

We once got a tow from a hire boat when we ran out on the way to Turners garage at Wheaton Aston. My own fault as I thought I had enough left in the tank to get us to the cheapest place.

On the other hand we once towed a boat from Saltersford tunnel to Orchard marina and the owner had put a sign on the back of his boat asking for a tow.

He said that we were the first boat to see it and offer help.

17 hours ago, Mad Harold said:

Bowhauling is not so hard.I once bowhauled my old narrowboat four miles and once moving it takes little effort to keep it moving.

The line should be about a third of the boat from the bow, otherwise you will keep pulling it into the bank.

A passing boat seeing you bowhauling will most likely offer a tow.

The problem comes when you get to a boat that is moored, as happened to me in Birmingham and the cafe boat would not allow us to pass !!

• Happy 1

2 hours ago, Laurie Booth said:

The problem comes when you get to a boat that is moored, as happened to me in Birmingham and the cafe boat would not allow us to pass !!

That is where you pole it. However, I would have simply passed my ropes over them, or walked down their gunnel pushing my boat.

They do not have the right to restrict your right to navigate, only CaRT can do that

Edited by Tony Brooks
  • Happy 1

I remember back in 1994 I had an Earth flag on a long pole on my little narrow boat. 

There was some TV geyser might have been Dylan someone ? doing a horse drawn boat expedition. 

These sticky up poles can be annoying..

I wonder if there were rules about this in the old days of real horse drawn boats. 

Of course there were probably far fewer boats moored to the towing path for obvious reasons in that it is a towing path rather than a mooring path.

Maybe a change in nomenclature would be wise. 

The moorpath. 

11 hours ago, Stroudwater1 said:

I would just ask and TBH having hired on a number of occasions in the past I would have towed you. I suspect there’s much in the T&Cs that people overlook or aren’t aware of - it’s never been mentioned to me as a don’t do by any hire firm. 

is it any less easy using a long pole to steer from the stern and pull from the bow with the long rope described ? (assuming the OP has one)  Just feels better if someone was on board ? 

yes, it feels a bit strange not having anyone on board 😨 But, one of us could get on if we're passing a moored boat, or else we'll try and find some extra crew

8 hours ago, system 4-50 said:

Remember that it is mandatory to video the bow-hauling experience and put it on youtube!  (This automatically makes any difficulties you experience somebody else's fault!) 😀

I'll post some photos if poss, I've never done a Youtube video! 

7 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

That is where you pole it. However, I would have simply passed my ropes over them, or walked down their gunnel pushing my boat.

They do not have the right to restrict your right to navigate, only CaRT can do that

They stopped us from doing as you suggested. What were we supposed to do, fisty cuffs on the tow path?

34 minutes ago, Laurie Booth said:

They stopped us from doing as you suggested. What were we supposed to do, fisty cuffs on the tow path?

Why not? Its what would have happened back in the day.

Youd be recreating history...

On 23/10/2023 at 22:11, beerbeerbeerbeerbeer said:

and of course, 

the next stage,

what are the engine problems?

start a new thread,

if you need/want help with that 👍

the problem with the engine is there is no engine!

Unfortunately, we were given notice to leave our mooring before work on the new (reconditioned) engine was complete, partly due to disputes with the new site owner about doing work on the boat at the mooring. That's why we are on the towpath opposite to the moorings☹️ 

I won't post anything in the 'Engines' help section though as the engine is ready to go in, it's just they are having trouble bleeding it so it won't run fully on diesel. We have found someone who is used to working on BMC engines who we are hoping can help. We don't want the engine to go in until we've seen it running properly, as obviously it's easier to do work on it in the garage rather than on the boat.

Thanks again everyone, for all your help and advice. It's great to know there are so many helpful people out there and we are not alone in having to get a tow or indeed bow-haul! :)👍

• Greenie 1

28 minutes ago, Helen B said:

the problem with the engine is there is no engine!

Unfortunately, we were given notice to leave our mooring before work on the new (reconditioned) engine was complete, partly due to disputes with the new site owner about doing work on the boat at the mooring. That's why we are on the towpath opposite to the moorings☹️ 

I won't post anything in the 'Engines' help section though as the engine is ready to go in, it's just they are having trouble bleeding it so it won't run fully on diesel. We have found someone who is used to working on BMC engines who we are hoping can help. We don't want the engine to go in until we've seen it running properly, as obviously it's easier to do work on it in the garage rather than on the boat.

Thanks again everyone, for all your help and advice. It's great to know there are so many helpful people out there and we are not alone in having to get a tow or indeed bow-haul! :)👍

Do a search on here for ' bleeding a BMC 1.8 (or maybe 1.5)' or some similar wording and you will find any number  of informed suggestions and tips. Alternatively look in 'vintage engines' under BMC.

27 minutes ago, Helen B said:

• Happy 1

A professional having difficulties bleeding a BMC!  I smell a rat. Still, hope you get it sorted.

They can be problematical for a boater who is trying to do it from text, but not a professional, and there is a trick to sort really difficult to bleed ones that the professional should know.

Just now, Slim said:

Do a search on here for ' bleeding a BMC 1.8 (or maybe 1.5)' or some similar wording and you will find any number  of informed suggestions and tips. Alternatively look in 'vintage engines' under BMC.

I would have tried to help except the OP says "they are having difficulties", so not her. and she does not seem to think help is needed. In view of what Tracy occasionally posts about a certain engine "overhauler" the name of the firm maybe instructive.

• Haha 1

On 25/10/2023 at 15:50, Tony Brooks said:

A professional having difficulties bleeding a BMC!  I smell a rat. Still, hope you get it sorted.

They can be problematical for a boater who is trying to do it from text, but not a professional, and there is a trick to sort really difficult to bleed ones that the professional should know.

I would have tried to help except the OP says "they are having difficulties", so not her. and she does not seem to think help is needed. In view of what Tracy occasionally posts about a certain engine "overhauler" the name of the firm maybe instructive.

Thanks, it's currently in a garage and had two qualified mechanics looking at it, plus my partner who's been working on engines for 40+ years. However, they've drawn a blank so far! The person they are asking used to work on BMC engines in tractors and knows about old engines! I'll try Slim's suggestion of looking it up on the internet, although I'm told they've tried that.

Any tips would be gratefully received, but unfortunately I'm just the one on the keyboard and only have a basic understanding of the problem..!