Best Foam for Dinnette cushions

matty40s

Featured Posts

We are finally getting round to the dinnette, rebuild and new foam with covers. It's an L shape and is used not only for eating, but most of our sit down in the evening time.

What's the best type of foam, suppliers, thickness, different sandwich types etc.

No, I really don't have a clue about narrowboat foam, and am happy to admit it.

I don't have a clue either 🙂 but when we wanted to replace the cushions in our Sea Otter (they were far too heavy for a trailable boat)  I googled for foam suppliers and a guy came to the boat discussed what we wanted and he made them up for us.  Seeing the samples he brought was very helpful and enabled us to select the firmness we wanted. 

He covered them and made new curtains in the material of our choice. 

Edited by haggis
  • Greenie 1

We had the boatmans cabin completely done, foam, coverings, cushions, by a lady from Brixworth. Can't find an invoice, but this is all the info I can dredge up -

www.jefferyallbrighton.co.uk

07786 373913

Unit 4, Butchers Yard, 105 Northampton Road, Brixworth, NN6 9DX

Don't know what density etc, but she has done loads and is very experienced, and the end result was comfortable. Most foam was replaced with new covers, and I think the long piece that makes the childs single bed was just recovered - all done very professionally.

• Greenie 1

If your sofa is also going to be used as a bed, I would recommend High Density (blue) foam 4"deep. If it is for sitting only, Medium  Density (grey) 4" deep will probably suffice. You also need to have the foam covered in stockinette, which will prolong the life of the main fabric covering.

• Greenie 1

14 hours ago, matty40s said:

We are finally getting round to the dinnette, rebuild and new foam with covers. It's an L shape and is used not only for eating, but most of our sit down in the evening time.

Woohoo

Kitchen finished! 

we had our dinette cushions made and upholstered by Amtrim.  I remember him talking about the different density of Foams and as we use it occasionally for sleeping went for the higher density foam.  Its also our main evening seating and fine for that too. 

• Greenie 1

The firmest foam we could find came from a supplier on an industrial estate - so more choice and info. than just a retail outlet. Its a blue high density stuff 3" thick and OK but it is not so great if the bed/seat base is slats of 2" x 1" spaced 2" apart. You need wider slats or less gap or thicker foam but you can end up with a 'Princess and the pea' situation with seat cushions a foot thick. 

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Bee said:

The firmest foam we could find came from a supplier on an industrial estate - so more choice and info. than just a retail outlet. Its a blue high density stuff 3" thick and OK but it is not so great if the bed/seat base is slats of 2" x 1" spaced 2" apart. You need wider slats or less gap or thicker foam but you can end up with a 'Princess and the pea' situation with seat cushions a foot thick. 

The bed settee I made had 2" wide slats wth 2" gaps, and it was fine, but you need a minimum of 4" thick foam for a bed on slats.

Setee7.JPG.9042448b66ac17d62496df469bc69580.JPG

• Greenie 1

I got some from efoam.co.uk a few years ago.  You pick your shape, put your measurements in, choose your foam and extras like the stockinette covering -- and then they turn up at your door.

And then you hope you measured correctly.

• Greenie 1

I took the covers orf the dinette on the country estate boat recently and it turned out the foam had two separate parts stuck together. 

The top piece was a sort of fruit cake type of design with different colours and was about an inch and a half thick and the lower part was normal looking foam about 3 inches thick. 

I guess the fruit cake one was more durable as the thing to be sitting on..

They seem very good quality. 

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, magnetman said:

I took the covers orf the dinette on the country estate boat recently and it turned out the foam had two separate parts stuck together. 

The top piece was a sort of fruit cake type of design with different colours and was about an inch and a half thick and the lower part was normal looking foam about 3 inches thick. 

I guess the fruit cake one was more durable as the thing to be sitting on..

They seem very good quality. 

When I worked in the furniture trade we used what was known as Solid Crumb Foam, to reinforce the edges of foam seat pads for heavy duty Contract seating.  It is still available today but by different descriptions which all imply some form of re-constitution but, as Ditchcrawler suggests, it is not really suitable for matresses.

Edited by David Schweizer