Pellet Stove Installer Required

Hackney Marshes

Featured Posts

29 minutes ago, Chewbacka said:

So what is environmentally friendly about burning wood pellets?

CO emissions - not good

CO2 emissions- not good

pm2.5 emissions- not good

It's less environmentally damaging than burning coal, or the least that's the argument, it's certainly not environmentally friendly that's the wrong term to use

• Greenie 1

Burning E-coal worked for me, a large percentage* of it is olive stones a waste product.

Burns cleaner than most smokeless fuel and you don't need to import pellets from Canada😉

* not sure what percentage it is now days it used to be 50%.

1 minute ago, GUMPY said:

Burning E-coal worked for me, a large percentage* of it is olive stones a waste product.

Burns cleaner than most smokeless fuel and you don't need to import pellets from Canada😉

So how many olive trees would it take to produce enough "E-coal" to feed Drax?

What works on the small scale doesn't always work on the larger one... 😉

47 minutes ago, IanD said:

So how many olive trees would it take to produce enough "E-coal" to feed Drax?

What works on the small scale doesn't always work on the larger one... 😉

We are talking about boat stoves not Drax I meely mentioned pellets from Canada as a source of pellets

Edited by GUMPY

I like the stove, it produces 4Kw, and 90% efficiency, and will use a commensurate quantity of 6 mm pellets. But, it relies on mains electricity, 315 W on startup and 75 W while running. You will need to run it from an inverter unless on mains hook up. It has electronic control, which may be convenient but is another thing to go wrong.  As has been said, when your electricity goes down, so does your stove.

Given the strong disclaimers throughout the installation sheet, I doubt very much that they will sanction installation in a boat. Furthermore, they require a qualified installer for the initial installation, and to deal with most of the fault codes from the electronics, including a 1200 to1400-hour service.

So, though I like it, it is not for me.

On 14/09/2023 at 20:56, Machpoint005 said:

My pellets come from Chelford Farm Supplies. The chickens love 'em.

My chicken pellets went well in the garden, but the neighbour didn't like the smell. :)

Edited by Peanut
Chicken pellets was a separate post :(

1 hour ago, Peanut said:

But, it relies on mains electricity, 315 W on startup and 75 W while running.

Thats going to take about 180Ah per day out of the batteries (running continuously) so you are going to need a huge battery bank to power that - and of course 'the means' to replace it every day.

If you have FLA batteries you'd probably need to run the engine for 5+ hours per day just to replace what the stove had used.

It really doesn't sound a practical option for use on a boat.

If you want the conveniences of a flat / house, then buy a flat / house as you'll never be able to make a (moveable) boat be equivalent.

• Greenie 1

26 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

That's going to take about 180Ah per day out of the batteries (running continuously) so you will need a huge battery bank to power that and, of course, 'the means' to replace it every day.

Which is what I was hinting at, it is a non-starter. Never mind the fuel availability out on the canal, cost, and storage.

3 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Thats going to take about 180Ah per day out of the batteries (running continuously) so you are going to need a huge battery bank to power that - and of course 'the means' to replace it every day.

If you have FLA batteries you'd probably need to run the engine for 5+ hours per day just to replace what the stove had used.

It really doesn't sound a practical option for use on a boat.

If you want the conveniences of a flat / house, then buy a flat / house as you'll never be able to make a (moveable) boat be equivalent.

The OP says he has a residential mooring with bankside storage and, I assume, mains power. In which case this isn't quite such a non-starter idea. But still of little use if away boating for more than a day or two.

On 14/09/2023 at 17:44, GUMPY said:

I suspect you need to import them from Greece, not many olive groves in Milton Keynes  :)

Edited by LadyG

2 hours ago, David Mack said:

The OP says he has a residential mooring with bankside storage and, I assume, mains power. In which case this isn't quite such a non-starter idea. But still of little use if away boating for more than a day or two.

Exactly - which is why I said not suitable for a boat that moves.

1 hour ago, LadyG said:

I suspect you need to import them from Greece, not many olive groves in Milton Keynes  :)

There is an amazing orchard in MK by the canal can't remember which bridge it was but a good selection of apples trees there. I last raided it about 20 (!!) yars ago I suppose it might be a different story these days with the new bags. 

On 16/09/2023 at 11:14, Peanut said:

Furthermore, they require a qualified installer for the initial installation, and to deal with most of the fault codes from the electronics, including a 1200 to1400-hour service.

What, every day, noon till 2pm?

Get the service chap to refuel it while he's there and you won't need the electronics ... 

26 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

What, every day, noon till 2pm?

Get the service chap to refuel it while he's there and you won't need the electronics ... 

I guess they would do it in your lunch break, or not, but without a comma or a colon, who would know?

Either way, it is an inconvenience to have to get a service technician round to service the thing, just to keep up with the warrantee. You could use 1,200 hrs in one winter, were it a cold one.

Had experience with a pellet boiler.  Very expensive to run, needed regular servicing, parts crazy prices, very few firms prepared to service, storage of bags of pellets and keeping them bone dry was difficult, broke down often, used masses of electricity starting up with igniters, now abandoned after only one year.

I cannot see how they are environmentally friendly, an expensive experiment that failed.

• Greenie 1

3 hours ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Had experience with a pellet boiler.  Very expensive to run, needed regular servicing, parts crazy prices, very few firms prepared to service, storage of bags of pellets and keeping them bone dry was difficult, broke down often, used masses of electricity starting up with igniters, now abandoned after only one year.

I cannot see how they are environmentally friendly, an expensive experiment that failed.

So it worked well and would be ideal for a boat 🤔😂😉🤣😭

21 hours ago, Tracy D'arth said:

My experience is slightly different

Service once a year, no problem finding service company 

Parts so far reasonable price (not needed much anyway)

Yup storage of pellets an issue but I have space so not an issue for me, as a bonus I don't have to store gallons of heating oil with the associated spills and smells.

I think it's more expensive to run than an oil burner but I have no direct experience for a proper comparison, but I don’t think it's massively higher 

Yup needs electricity but so do oil boilers

The issue with environmentally friendly claims is a daft one (in my opinion) and shouldn't be part of their marketing, unless the pellets are sourced from local waste wood, that aside it is certainly more environmentally friendly to my local environment than the last oil burner 

14 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

Yes, and the industrial quantities of pellets required would be a great excuse to add a butty! :D

Which is the massive issue on a boat, I honestly don't think it's practical on a boat unless you tow a butty :)

Edited by tree monkey