Trying to connect a domestic gas hob to a rubber hose

Garethh

Featured Posts

I'm currently trying to connect a domestic gas hob to a rubber hose which is connected to the red gas bottle, below are pics of the pipe coming from the gas hob and a pic of the hose. 3 pic is of the connector I think I need, but guidance would really be appreciated.

20230811_213856.jpg

Just now, Garethh said:

I'm currently trying to connect a domestic gas hob to a rubber hose which is connected to the red gas bottle, below are pics of the pipe coming from the gas hob and a pic of the hose. 3 pic is of the connector I think I need, but guidance would really be appreciated.

20230811_213856.jpg

20230811_213958.jpg

Just now, Garethh said:

20230811_213856.jpg

20230811_213958.jpg

Just now, Garethh said:

20230811_213856.jpg

20230811_213958.jpg

Screenshot_20230811-214116_Chrome.jpg

• Horror 1

15 minutes ago, system 4-50 said:

Can someone spell out the general nature of the errors being proposed here, without appearing to give directions for overcoming them, so that the OP can appreciate more than "there are things you don't understand".

The internet isn't big enough...

49 minutes ago, system 4-50 said:

Can someone spell out the general nature of the errors being proposed here, without appearing to give directions for overcoming them, so that the OP can appreciate more than "there are things you don't understand".

Imagine you have a high pressure bomb on board, someone has painted it red, or even blue. 

Some controllers which are required to control gas pressure are specific to certain gas bottles.

You have some idea that it needs to be connected to a hob, you don't know the pressure required to supply the hob.

You may have bought the wrong type of hob, it has to be one designed for the purpose.

Edited by LadyG

Just now, David Mack said:

This is such a stupid thing to be doing on a boat that I assume the post must be a deliberate windup.

Someone who has seen such things in caravans sheds etc and is new to boating may not have a clue about what they are doing wrong, Just saying don't may not stop them and he just hopes the fitting he buys does the job.

You can see ovens, hobs, and cookers for use with bottled gas, somewhere like here:

https://www.midlandchandlers.co.uk/galley/ovens-hobs?production_midlandchandlers[page]=3

Though, you would be best advised to employ a marine gas fitter to instal it.

Edited by Peanut
installation

1 hour ago, Garethh said:

m currently trying to connect a domestic gas hob to a rubber hose which is connected to the red gas bottle

Ok despite my skepticism in older posts, I am now convinced about why the BSS safety scheme exists.

• Greenie 1

5 minutes ago, Peanut said:

You can see ovens, hobs, and cookers for use with bottled gas, somewhere like here:

https://www.midlandchandlers.co.uk/galley/ovens-hobs?production_midlandchandlers[page]=3

I think the advice is not to do anything himself, he is not a competent person as required by the Boat Safety Scheme, or as defined by common sense.

Edited by LadyG

1 minute ago, Ianws said:

The OP already knows its not right and is asking for genuine guidance not condemnation or a laugh. 

You're right.

The first thing the OP needs to understand is a domestic gas hob needs converting to run on LPG

The second thing is a rubber hose from a gas bottle is not appropriate. The gas bottle and regulator needs installing in a suitably designed gas locker, with appropriate gas drain overboard.

Then run an appropriately sized rigid gas pipe to the hob and tightness test it. And check the ventilation is compliant. 

The BSS website gives details, but bear in mind BSS is the slackest and loosest of all the standards written for boats. 

21 minutes ago, David Mack said:

This is such a stupid thing to be doing on a boat that I assume the post must be a deliberate windup.

I thought so too, but one never knows.

1 minute ago, MtB said:

You're right.

The first thing the OP needs to understand is a domestic gas hob needs converting to run on LPG

The second thing is a rubber hose from a gas bottle is not appropriate. The gas bottle and regulator needs installing in a suitably designed gas locker, with appropriate gas drain overboard.

Then run an appropriately sized rigid gas pipe to the hob and tightness test it. And check the ventilation is compliant. 

The BSS website gives details, but bear in mind BSS is the slackest and loosest of all the standards written for boats. 

There is no mention in your post about "competent person" My understanding is that is a requirement. 

2 minutes ago, MtB said:

The second thing is a rubber hose from a gas bottle is not appropriate

It could be, but not this way.

Full marks to the OP for asking though, because they didn't think it was quite right.  What do the ones who don't ask cobble together?!

14 minutes ago, LadyG said:

There is no mention in your post about "competent person" My understanding is that is a requirement. 

Thats easy, if you do it right then you must be competent, with all the certificates in the world if you do it wrong you weren't competent 

• Greenie 1

28 minutes ago, MtB said:

Flexible hoses are (supposedly) ok for "portable" appliances IIRC. 

A gas hob is not "portable".

My BSS Examiner was a gas fitter by trade, that used why I selected him ( GasSafe with lpg and boat endorsement). He removed the armoured hose fitting which had been there for twenty years and fitted a coil of new gas piping instead. 

Edited by LadyG

6 minutes ago, MtB said:

Flexible hoses are (supposedly) ok for "portable" appliances IIRC. 

A gas hob is not "portable".

7.9.6 Do ‘all-hose’ systems comply with ISO 10239?

In addition to the general hose Requirements at Checks 7.9.1, 7.9.2,

7.9.3 and 7.9.5 ‘all-hose’ hose assemblies must comply with ISO 10239

as follows:

• each length of hose must be jointless from within the cylinder

locker or housing directly to the individual appliance or appliance

isolation valve; and,

• hoses must have permanently attached end fittings, such as

swaged sleeve or sleeve and threaded insert (worm-drive clamps

are not permitted); and,

• hose connections must be readily accessible; and,

• hoses must not be routed through an engine space; and,

• hoses must be supported at least at 1m intervals.

On ‘all-hose’ systems there must be no LPG pipes.

All hose systems are only permitted where the cylinder(s) is located

within a locker or housing.