Trying to connect a domestic gas hob to a rubber hose

Garethh

Featured Posts

1 minute ago, LadyG said:

OP is new to the forum so is not familiar with the extensive discussions which have resulted from what seems to him a simple question.

Nothing gas-related is ever "simple".

Gas work is a bureaucrat's delight and a total playground for them. Endless scope to make simple things things ever more complex. You should see the comments in "The Combustion Chamber" forum about how one can call the GSR technical helpline several times with the same question and get several conflicting answers! 

• Happy 1

3 minutes ago, MtB said:

Nothing gas-related is ever "simple".

Gas work is a bureaucrat's delight and a total playground for them. Endless scope to make simple things things ever more complex. You should see the comments in "The Combustion Chamber" forum about how one can call the GSR technical helpline several times with the same question and get several conflicting answers! 

Like all the "approved trade bodies", Gas, Oil, Electricity.

All the authority but no responsibility.

1 minute ago, nicknorman said:

As a plumber surely it should be Flux Off?

How dare you? I'll have you know I'm a "boiler technician", not a plummer. 

I occasionally get accused of being a "gas engineer" too, but that's twaddle. I'm not an engineer, I'm not that well edumacated. I expect u've noticed....

• Happy 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Garethh said:

I've chucked the stove and will just buy a camping stove

I know some one who blew himself up on a boat, using a gas camping stove (survived, but with some bad burns). An alcohol one would be safer.

The reason why there is so much in the way of rules about installing and using gas on a boat is because if there is a gas leak in to the cabin, or hull, there is nowhere for the gas to escape downwards, since the hull needs to be gas and water tight to keep the canal out. It will than build up till it reaches an explosive concentration. Any sort of ignition source, which could be a fridge compressor switching on, or some one turning on an electric light and off it goes. A gas camping stove can be just as dangerous. There are occasional explosions and deaths on boats from gas leaks and the other posters here don't want you, or any bystanders to be burnt, or killed. Hence why we are on page 4.

• Greenie 1