George Ward evicted.

Featured Posts

4 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Enforcement on the Bridgewater seems to work much better than CRT achieve.

Possibly, but it seems historically their enforcer had an interesting "attitude" when dealing with boaters, that CaRT probably could not get away with.

Edited by Tony Brooks

1 hour ago, Tony Brooks said:

Possibly, but it seems historically their enforcer had an interesting "attitude" when dealing with boaters, that CaRT probably could not get away with.

Do they really have only ONE enforcer? 

Whatever his 'attitude', he does well to keep on top of pisstakers then, on 41 miles of waterway.

Proportionally, CRT would need 49 of him. 

2 hours ago, MtB said:

Do they really have only ONE enforcer? 

Whatever his 'attitude', he does well to keep on top of pisstakers then, on 41 miles of waterway.

Proportionally, CRT would need 49 of him. 

I think the management have equipped him with a moped.

I do not believe we are getting the full story with regard to George Ward.

If I was to go outside my home and started threatening people with a knife or a garden fork like George has, I am sure I would get arrested.

Again if I was to go outside of my home and do a poo in the road or empty my septic tank into the road I am sure I would get arrested for breaking a public health act,

But why has this man got away with it

• Greenie 3

2 hours ago, MtB said:

Part of the qualifications for the job is being able to swim, I got the impression that his work was mainly with boats from CRT waterways, not Bridgewater residents

1 minute ago, ditchcrawler said:

Part of the qualifications for the job is being able to swim, I got the impression that his work was mainly with boats from CRT waterways, not Bridgewater residents

Possibly so.

There are comparatively few resident boaters on the Bridgewater due to their strict mooring policy, long term leisure mooring only in certain locations, no automatic right to an end of garden mooring etc.

9 minutes ago, Tonka said:

If I was to go outside my home and started threatening people with a knife or a garden fork like George has, I am sure I would get arrested.

Again if I was to go outside of my home and do a poo in the road or empty my septic tank into the road I am sure I would get arrested for breaking a public health act,

1. The police are no more likely to take any action unless forced to by the courts, he actually injures a member of the public, or threatens one from the "upper classes". It is austerity, don't you know. If they won't investigate burglaries or ongoing antisocial behaviour, they are hardly likely to look for charges they could bring against George.

2. I think the public health act is enforced by the local authorities so they are unlikely to act because it would present them with a load more problems. While he is on CaRT land the LA seems happy.  Also, a lack of "resources".

21 minutes ago, Tonka said:

I'm not sure you would get arrested, or that if arrested you wouldn't get released within 24 hours.

While there maybe clear evidence that raw sewage has been dumped in the canal and or on the land near where G.W. was moored and is now camping, there is not proof "beyond reasonable doubt" that he is the cause.

The threats he made were about actions he might make in the future, I don't think he has ever actually approached someone with a weapon and threatened them, so while probably against the law his actions are not serious enough for the police to arrest him and keep him in custody.

Edited by Barneyp

7 minutes ago, Barneyp said:

I'm not sure you would get arrested, or that if arrested you wouldn't get released within 24 hours.

While there maybe clear evidence that raw sewage has been dumped in the canal and or on the land near where G.W. was moored and is now camping, there is not proof "beyond reasonable doubt" that he is the cause.

The threats he made were about actions he might make in the future, I don't think he has ever actually approached someone with a weapon and threatened them, so while probably against the law his actions are not serious enough for the police to arrest him and keep him in custody.

I thought the police were not going to attend mental health issues 

3 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

I thought the police were not going to attend mental health issues 

Was it not just the Met who announced that they would no longer attend mental health issues or was it all English Police forces ? I don't think Police Scotland have made such an announcement. 

32 minutes ago, haggis said:

Was it not just the Met who announced that they would no longer attend mental health issues or was it all English Police forces ? I don't think Police Scotland have made such an announcement. 

The Met said that from September they won't respond to calls regarding mental health issues unless some one is at risk. One force (I think it is Humberside) already have such a policy in place.

If a crime has or is occurring then they have to deal with it in the normal way even if the alleged perpetrator has a mental health condition.

And while we can speculate about George Wards mental health there is no information to say he has been diagnosed with anything other than a huge sense of entitlement and a complete lack understanding or awareness of the wider society - neither of which are recognised mental health conditions.

Edited by Barneyp

56 minutes ago, Barneyp said:

But a forensic test of the pooh would prove it is his

• Greenie 2

20 minutes ago, Tonka said:

But a forensic test of the pooh would prove it is his

Doesn't prove he dumped it there.

I think it would be a civil issue rather than criminal, so not the police.

My guess is the relevant authorities have decided not to get involved because they have limited resources which can be used to better effect elsewhere.

6 minutes ago, Barneyp said:

My guess is the relevant authorities have decided not to get involved because they have limited resources which can be used to better effect elsewhere.

They always seem to have plenty of resources when it comes to chasing down planning law breaches. I'd suggest they avoid getting involved because they can see what a wasps nest the whole affair is. 

1 hour ago, ditchcrawler said:

Are CRT water boaters more inclined to chuck him in the canal, than Bridgewater boaters?  😄

22 minutes ago, Barneyp said:

Does it matter who dumped it if it was his. When I was at work we had some drums of waste turn up in a field gateway even though we had originally disposed of it correctly, but were still held responsible 

8 minutes ago, Mad Harold said:

Are CRT water boaters more inclined to chuck him in the canal, than Bridgewater boaters?  😄

I don't think he had much of a disagreement with the Bridgewater licence holders, it was the CM'ers from the T&M who spent months on the Bridgewater that were causing him the problem.

People crap in the great outdoors all the time, have you ever walked the towpath after a big fishing match? I think using DNA testing to prosecute George would be over the top and might even be seen as victimisation. I don't have much sympathy for him but do think he should be treated fairly and decently. Maybe just leave him alone for a short while and hope that time and a winter move him on. However if he does get another boat then action would be required.,

51 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Does it matter who dumped it if it was his. When I was at work we had some drums of waste turn up in a field gateway even though we had originally disposed of it correctly, but were still held responsible 

As a business disposing of (hazardous?) waste you would have been held to a higher standard, and if it turned up in a field gateway I'm questioning your assertion that you "had originally disposed of it correctly".

If you had disposed of it correctly and had all the correct documentation to verify this you couldn't have been held responsible when it turned up in the wrong place.

Businesses often need to provide proof that they have complied with the law, for private individuals the authorities would need specific proof that the law had been broken.

31 minutes ago, dmr said:

People crap in the great outdoors all the time, have you ever walked the towpath after a big fishing match? I think using DNA testing to prosecute George would be over the top and might even be seen as victimisation. I don't have much sympathy for him but do think he should be treated fairly and decently. Maybe just leave him alone for a short while and hope that time and a winter move him on. However if he does get another boat then action would be required.,

CRT and BW before them have been hoping that he will move on for well over ten years, which is presumably why they have now given up on that idea and started legal proceedings which could end up with him being banned from all CRT property.

1 hour ago, Barneyp said:

As a business disposing of (hazardous?) waste you would have been held to a higher standard, and if it turned up in a field gateway I'm questioning your assertion that you "had originally disposed of it correctly".

If you had disposed of it correctly and had all the correct documentation to verify this you couldn't have been held responsible when it turned up in the wrong place.

Businesses often need to provide proof that they have complied with the law, for private individuals the authorities would need specific proof that the law had been broken.

Thankfully it wasn't my problem but it was 205 drums of liquid with a low grade radioactivity. So long back I can't remember which but one, I think Alpha, easily stopped but you didn't want to ingest it

3 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

Thankfully it wasn't my problem but it was 205 drums of liquid with a low grade radioactivity. So long back I can't remember which but one, I think Alpha, easily stopped but you didn't want to ingest it

Paper stops alpha emitters