George Ward evicted.

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, Heartland said:

What has happened to George Ward or Mr Selassie ?

According to the Gazette & Herald  CRT were looking to reclaim money in December this year

George Ward - who was removed from the Kennet and Avon in Bradford on Avon this year - has been sent a letter from Grimsby law firm Wilkin Chapman LLP asking him to pay two Canal and River Trist invoices of £1,314.68 and £16,061.29.

In total, the law firm is actually demanding £17,381.97.

Mr Ward, 62, who is disabled and relies on state benefits, said: “The Canal & River Trust is doing everything it can to escalate the outstanding amount thus far demanded with the use of excessively priced subcontractors.

Re

In case if emergency, go bankrupt. I don't imagine CRT expect to see a penny.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Heartland said:

George Ward - who was removed from the Kennet and Avon in Bradford on Avon this year - has been sent a letter from Grimsby law firm Wilkin Chapman LLP asking him to pay two Canal and River Trist invoices of £1,314.68 and £16,061.29.

I'm curious about what address Wilkin and Chapman LLP put on the envelope.

• Greenie 2
  • Haha 1

Presumably there will have been an address for when the Boat was licensed last century. 

Having said that I have previously licensed a boat for a friend who is NFA so if he gets licensing issues the letters come to me. 

I am the 'agent' and the address is a 'care of'. So it should be alright!

4 minutes ago, MtB said:

Its always puzzled me how you licence your boat if you really do live on it without a land address. 

As you download and print your own licence why do you need a home address. CRT don't post you anything anymore

You might need an address to get insurance which is a requirement to be licensed under the 1995 Act. 

Having said that I think some insurance companies will do it online but they will want you to add an address and may need to use this if you later make a claim.

29 minutes ago, Tonka said:

As you download and print your own licence why do you need a home address. CRT don't post you anything anymore

Another non-boater I suspect. 

Or you would know you can't buy a licence on line without giving an address and postcode.

:)

Edited by MtB

4 minutes ago, MtB said:

Another non-boater, obviously. 

Or you would know you can't buy a licence on line without giving an address and postcode.

But can you give a po box or use a mail company. 

I shall ignore the bit about you calling me a non boater

• Happy 1

I think you can and also people like the Ward geyser will tend to have a relative who doesn't hate them too much. 

I've done this before for a none relative old git on the Thames and I got a letter of enforcement from DE about it. I had mentioned in advance that I am an agent but declined to specify the MI6 connection. 

7 minutes ago, Tonka said:

But can you give a po box or use a mail company. 

So why are you quibbling with my observation that you can't licence a boat without giving CRT a land address?

Edited by MtB
Clarify.

6 minutes ago, MtB said:

So why are you quibbling with my observation that you can't licence a boat without giving CRT a land address?

Because it looks like you may be wrong. I know you can insure a car without a home address so why not a boat

Just now, Tonka said:

Because it looks like you may be wrong. I know you can insure a car without a home address so why not a boat

How does that work? 

Car insurance is often based on postcode. How do you do it without a postcode? 

(for clarity I would view an address with a postcode as a 'home address' even if you don't live there)

3 minutes ago, magnetman said:

How does that work? 

Car insurance is often based on postcode. How do you do it without a postcode? 

(for clarity I would view an address with a postcode as a 'home address' even if you don't live there)

you can insure a car to a post office address

• Greenie 1

14 hours ago, magnetman said:

I didn't realise that. Always assumed they needed a postcode to deal with the regional variations in car theft and accident rates. 

I suppose the Post Office has a postcode so maybe it is based on that. 

When you insure a car the insurance company want your address so they can contact you, and the address of where the car is normally kept, usually these will be the same.

If they are not then the online insurance portals such as go compare, moneymaker etc. Will not be much use as they assume that the contact address is the place where the car is kept, but if you deal direct with the insurance company they can cope with the 2 being different. 

On 22/12/2023 at 19:29, Tonka said:

you can insure a car to a post office address

Then I'd recommend a post office in the Dyffed-Powys area - it currently has the lowest rates of car theft in the UK:D

Of course, that could change if enough London boaters read this thread and follow suit... 

• Greenie 1

On 22/12/2023 at 18:38, MtB said:

Its always puzzled me how you licence your boat if you really do live on it without a land address. 

Easily - there is no verification of the supplied data against the PAF or LPRN.  I usually supply my planned cruising pattern without a problem.  I did get rung up by CRT this year querying the lack of a postal address and they admitted that it wasn't necessary (their argument was they needed an address to send  me things, I pointed out that they had an email address. They countered with sending physical items such as licence plates or keys - I replied that the transaction would be instigated by me and would be a one off for which I would supply a suitable delivery address.  They gave up and admitted I didn't need one)....

Similarly, with insurance, they use their own address as a place holder.  It did take some time to convince them that their requirement for a 'home address' coupled with the fact that I was insuring the boat as a continuous cruiser was somewhat contradictory, but got through in the end (fortunately the droid on the other end did not think of changing the nature of the address they wanted, eg 'marketing address' instead).

• 4 weeks later...

From Waterways World 10th January ...

'The Canal & River Trust has offered for public sale two historic narrowboats confiscated from a liveaboard boater after a decade-long battle over boat licensing .

The Thomas Bantock riveted iron-hulled March Hare – thought to date back to the 1880s – is being offered for around £11,500, while Celtic, a wooden motor in the style of Fellows, Morton & Clayton, is the rather more affordable £2,500, despite including a Russell Newbery engine. Both boats are euphemistically described as ‘projects’. While CRT will probably accept an offer for March Hare from any prospective purchaser with the money, it will insist on vetting the purchaser for Celtic, in view of its historic status and need for restoration. Both can be found at commercialboatservices.co.uk 

The boats were removed from the Kennet & Avon Canal last summer after the trust failed to reach a settlement with boater George Ward (WW News Aug 2023).  

The boats are being sold to offset around £48,000 CRT says it is owed for back licensing, their removal and assorted other charges. It will refuse to relicense them to Mr Ward even if he were to pay the money. 

Mr Ward lived in a tent on the towpath for around two months after the boats were removed, before finally being evicted from the towpath for trespass. He called the situation “an absolute injustice.”'.

• Happy 1

I'm not sure that using a Post Office box, or even a Post Office as an address for anything is that good an idea at the moment. Given the state of play regarding the computer systems provided to the PO by Fujitsu you might find yourself being sent a bill for long thousands!

• Greenie 1
  • Sad 1