A new boat for a fiver

Featured Posts

18 minutes ago, Napton said:

Strangely differing posts from the organisers of the raffle and Oakums! Methinks this company is being economical with the truth! So glad I decided against asking them to build my new boat!

95d64406-af61-4ec9-950f-e2d2afa0317d.jpeg

75% payout was stated as guaranteed in the original post .

11 hours ago, Napton said:

Seems that this boat has major electrical issues. For an “all electric” boat, they seem to need to run the generator a lot! 

You dont know an awful lot about electric boats do you, I know of one who has to have his genny running the entire time he is cruising(he has over 1kw solar on his roof). Most electric narrowboats have cocooned diesel engines, sorry, generators running serious hours to maintain battery banks. 

There is one completely electric one on the Nene who travelled 5 locks upstream in very benign conditions, and had to plug in for 16 hours and used almost £20 of electric in order to return.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, matty40s said:

You dont know an awful lot about electric boats do you, I know of one who has to have his genny running the entire time he is cruising(he has over 1kw solar on his roof). Most electric narrowboats have cocooned diesel engines, sorry, generators running serious hours to maintain battery banks. 

There is one completely electric one on the Nene who travelled 5 locks upstream in very benign conditions, and had to plug in for 16 hours and used almost £20 of electric in order to return.

Yes and it beggars belief that CRT give these diesel-electric boats the 'electric boat discount' for being supposedly less polluting.

• Haha 1

One potential issue I could see is lifetime of the power unit. 

Unless it is a very high quality generator set it seems possible it may not have the same lifespan as a normal sized main diesel engine would have. 

There is a heck of a lot more to go wrong with a series hybrid because instead of having diesel engine. gearbox, shaft. prop you have diesel engine, rotating electrics (generator) power electronics for charging batteries, batteries, power electronics for motor control, rotating electrics (propulsion motor), prop shaft and prop. 

It seems quite a roundabout way to achieve propulsion. I'm sure it can be good but with that many separate non-optional components the failure rate must be higher as will the servicing costs and parts. 

13 minutes ago, MtB said:

Yes and it beggars belief that CRT give these diesel-electric boats the 'electric boat discount' for being supposedly less polluting.

They are especially if they have solar

1 hour ago, matty40s said:

And yet my electric boat used 20 litres of diesel last year maybe some are made better than others?

41 minutes ago, MtB said:

No they aren't.

I did a lot of analysis of this. A series hybrid even without solar has something like double the efficiency of a diesel boat, so half the emissions -- this was borne out by the Ortomarine tests.

If half the power comes from solar -- possible in summer -- this drops to a quarter. If all the power comes from solar -- possible in the summer if you don't cruise much -- then emissions are zero.

4 minutes ago, IanD said:

I did a lot of analysis of this. A series hybrid even without solar has something like double the efficiency of a diesel boat, so half the emissions -- this was borne out by the Ortomarine tests.

If half the power comes from solar -- possible in summer -- this drops to a quarter. If all the power comes from solar -- possible in the summer if you don't cruise much -- then emissions are zero.

I know this, but I was poking fun at Peter's bald assertion with no evidence, by responding with more of the same. 

But you knew this really! 

Edited by MtB
spelling
  • Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, MtB said:

I know this, but I was poking fun at Peter's bald assertion with no evidence, by responding with more of the same

But you knew this really!  

And I goaded you with perhaps some boats are better than others and you took the bait without any evidence to prove your point. Anyway given that diesel prices seem to be rising daily as the oil shortage grows perhaps electric boats and EVs will get even more popular?

15 hours ago, IanD said:

I find that when I'm not cruising in my diesel engined narrowboat the emissions are zero... :)   :)

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, cuthound said:

I find that when I'm not cruising in my diesel engined narrowboat the emissions are zero... :)   :)

I would say that 50% of the narrowboats in the marina I am in have zero emissions, 25 % its from the solid fuel stove, 15% about 1000Lts diesel burnt per year and 10% ar*h*les like me who go cruising distroying the world for everyone else.

• Haha 3

20 hours ago, cuthound said:

I meant "emissions while cruising", as I'm sure you knew perfectly well... 😉

Still, even if every boat on the canals in the UK went hybrid it would save about the same amount of C02 as 0.1% of UK cars being switched to EVs, so it really *isn't* going to help save the planet... 😞

Edited by IanD

Speaking of Raffles and Emissions, this Youtuber doesn’t seam to care about emissions and his car raffles seam to work also. The draw for this one if the live draw number range is correct, sold 60000 tickets at just under £10 a ticket, thus taking nearly £600,000. I bet Oakums would of been happy with that.

Edited by BoatinglifeupNorth

• 3 weeks later...

Not all winners are happy with their prize :

After being 'on the market' for 5 years with no interest it was offered as an Omaze prize

The winner of a £3million Omaze mansion abandoned his new home after just three days over fears it could tumble down into the sea, it is reported.

Foundry worker Glen Elmy was left "gobsmacked" after finding out he scooped the main prize in the charity draw while visiting his elderly parents in October 2021. The seafront pad in Devon boasts five double bedrooms, six bathrooms, an infinity pool and incredible panoramic views of the ocean from its clifftop location.

At the time, he said: "We absolutely love the house – if I could have designed one from scratch, it would look just like this. It’s like something from a Bond film! We will be keeping it as there’s no other house like it in the country - so why would we want to sell it?"

But just three days after moving into the property, and learning about coastal erosion putting it at risk, he reportedly walked away from the prize - and hasn't set foot inside since. Mr Elmy is said to have returned the keys and asked for an equivalent sum instead.

There is all sorts of speculation that it can't be insured because of how close it's been built to the sea and on the cliff edge. There is a problem with coastal erosion all along the coast here. There are signs around the beach warning about falling rocks.

"It could just be local rumours but the person who originally built the building was told it was too close to the edge and mortgage and insurance might be a problem." A local resident said they never see anyone going in or out the property, and told how "nobody wanted it" when it was put on the market five years ago.

The £3m Omaze 'James Bond hideaway'... 6ft from the edge of a cliff (msn.com)

'The corner of the house goes almost to the cliff edge, it's about two metres away from the edge.'

Edited by Alan de Enfield

29 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Not all winners are happy with their prize :

After being 'on the market' for 5 years with no interest it was offered as an Omaze prize

The winner of a £3million Omaze mansion abandoned his new home after just three days over fears it could tumble down into the sea, it is reported.

Foundry worker Glen Elmy was left "gobsmacked" after finding out he scooped the main prize in the charity draw while visiting his elderly parents in October 2021. The seafront pad in Devon boasts five double bedrooms, six bathrooms, an infinity pool and incredible panoramic views of the ocean from its clifftop location.

At the time, he said: "We absolutely love the house – if I could have designed one from scratch, it would look just like this. It’s like something from a Bond film! We will be keeping it as there’s no other house like it in the country - so why would we want to sell it?"

But just three days after moving into the property, and learning about coastal erosion putting it at risk, he reportedly walked away from the prize - and hasn't set foot inside since. Mr Elmy is said to have returned the keys and asked for an equivalent sum instead.

There is all sorts of speculation that it can't be insured because of how close it's been built to the sea and on the cliff edge. There is a problem with coastal erosion all along the coast here. There are signs around the beach warning about falling rocks.

"It could just be local rumours but the person who originally built the building was told it was too close to the edge and mortgage and insurance might be a problem." A local resident said they never see anyone going in or out the property, and told how "nobody wanted it" when it was put on the market five years ago.

The £3m Omaze 'James Bond hideaway'... 6ft from the edge of a cliff (msn.com)

'The corner of the house goes almost to the cliff edge, it's about two metres away from the edge.'

Insurance, mortgage, he got it for a fiver, if it falls in the sea in 20 years so what?

13 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

Insurance, mortgage, he got it for a fiver, if it falls in the sea in 20 years so what?

Like you if it were mine I'd wouldn't worry about insurance, I'd worry I might be in it as it slides down the cliffside.

Edited by MtB