A new boat for a fiver

Featured Posts

1 minute ago, magnetman said:

If the host fails to provide a prize...75% of ticket price. 

What a laugh!

I thought that too. 75% of the ticket sales are refunded - wide open to abuse and fraud!! 

In fact this whole offering might be exactly that. Imagine if OAKHAMS know nothing about this and the firm running it "Rafall" collects £200k in ticket sales. They then cancel the raffle, refund £150k and pocket a cool £50k for a few hours of work 'promoting' the non-existent prize.

• Greenie 1

Does anyone actually do these competitions ? 

I am now wondering if there are some investors for my beer printer. 

3 minutes ago, MtB said:

I thought that too. 75% of the ticket sales are refunded - wide open to abuse and fraud!! 

In fact this whole offering might be exactly that. Imagine if OAKHAMS know nothing about this and the firm running it "Rafall" collects £200k in ticket sales. They then cancel the raffle, refund £150k and pocket a cool £50k for a few hours of work 'promoting' the non-existent prize.

I think what they actually mean is that the raffle winners get 75% of the proceeds rather than everyone getting a refund. Still seems scammy though. 

I imagine there is no boat in this story as there will be not enough participants.

Advertising ?

10 minutes ago, magnetman said:

Still seems scammy though. 

Still IS scammy. No 'seems' about it.

Sell even a handful of tickets and hand out 75% of the take as the prize and keep 25% for yourself. What's not to like (for the promoters, that is)? 

10 minutes ago, magnetman said:

I am now wondering if there are some investors for my beer printer.

You have a beer printer? 

Brilliant eye deer, how do I invest?!!

Hang on, what sort of 'ink' does one have to put in it?

;)

Edited by MtB
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, howardang said:

Very helpful - not! Now where have I heard that  type of comment  before?

Howard

Lol

The difference beIng I provided the search result.

1 hour ago, matty40s said:

Oakums have won best boat at Crick twice in the last few years. They have made traditional boatfitters wake up and take notice.

Nothing scammy about it, it's a modern way of raising finance to enhance a business.

Well that is as you may believe but I would never do business with a company who used such practices. It does not enhance the business in my view.

2 hours ago, matty40s said:

Nothing scammy about it, it's a modern way of raising finance to enhance a business.

Really?

I have to say, on all the serious financial websites I ever read there is never a mention of this as a method of raising finance to 'enhance' a business.

Mostly it is done by share placings or borrowings. 

Lets face it - at a fiver a ticket and a boat costing 208K they will never sell enough tickets to break even. So I suspect its a data gathering exercise so they can sell your details on to people and sometime in August someone might get a few K as a prize.

• Greenie 1

Not sure about it being to to finance a company but it is very common method of charities raising money.

Surely you have seen the '£1m House for a £5' adverts on TV ?

A whole host of companies have set up to 'do everything' for the charity and take a cut of the takings - my experience is that they never sell the agreed minimum number of tickets, so they deuct their costs and just pay the rest to the charity - the house is never won.

1 minute ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Not sure about it being to to finance a company but it is very common method of charities raising money.

Surely you have seen the '£1m House for a £5' adverts on TV ?

A whole host of companies have set up to 'do everything' for the charity and take a cut of the takings - my experience is that they never sell the agreed minimum number of tickets, so they deuct their costs and just pay the rest to the charity - the house is never won.

If that is the case, then the people who licence lotteries need to take action as well a Consumer Protection. Unless the promoters can show a realistic chance of selling sufficient tickets for someone to actually win the prize, it can be nothing but a scam.

• Greenie 2

10 minutes ago, StephenA said:

Lets face it - at a fiver a ticket and a boat costing 208K they will never sell enough tickets to break even. So I suspect its a data gathering exercise so they can sell your details on to people and sometime in August someone might get a few K as a prize.

Quite. 

They'd need to sell 41,600 raffle tickets to even fund the price of the boat prize, plus a further 4,160 to fund the administration fees. 

I doubt they'll sell more than a few hundred. 

The closer one looks, the scummier it gets. 

• Greenie 1