A new boat for a fiver

Featured Posts

19 minutes ago, StephenA said:

So assuming they sell enough tickets and someone wins in August when will they get the boat given the books are full for two years.....  "Congratulations you've won a boat... come back in 2 years"

I'd assume they've reserved a build slot ready for it. There is no 2 year waiting list.

They have slots available in July and Nov this year and 2 slots available in June next year, all with 3 month build times.

I'd heard all this talk of 2yr+ waiting lists, every builder who was at the Boat show at the NEC in Feb and a couple of others had slots next year, if not this year.

Who are these quality builders with 4 year lists?

25 minutes ago, StephenA said:

So assuming they sell enough tickets and someone wins in August when will they get the boat given the books are full for two years.....  "Congratulations you've won a boat... come back in 2 years"

Well, the raffle description says they will 'customise' said boat to the winner's preferences including the paint job, but I have to say I find myself wondering similar to you. What if the boat never materialises after the two year wait? I bet there is an expiry date at Rafall for claims relating to non-delivery. 

The sums of money are so large that details like this need considering. Especially if someone is considering buying say £50k or £100k-worth of tickets. 

6 hours ago, MtB said:

Oakhams:

The striking thing here is the dissonance between the obvious quality of their boat fit-outs and the dismal, sketchy content on their website. Hardly any detailed technical information at all, just a few really nice photos. 

Isn't this a bit like new cars, there is no information what so ever in an advertisement for a new car, not even the price, just the comment that the features shown may not be available in the UK 

9 hours ago, magnetman said:

I wonder how long the list for a Norton Canes (best boats on the cut) is. 

Are they still.building their own shells? I thought Graham Edgeson retired some time ago. 

They have fitted out a couple of new boats at Glascote but I think they were based on Wilson shells.

1 hour ago, cuthound said:

Are they still.building their own shells? I thought Graham Edgeson retired some time ago. 

They have fitted out a couple of new boats at Glascote but I think they were based on Wilson shells.

I believe the first fully NC for a few years has just been finished.

• 1 month later...

I see that the raffle has been going for some weeks now but only about 5500 tickets have been sold. Looks like Oakums are going to benefit from a wodge of cash for doing nothing, the lucky ticket holder won’t get the boat as promised. Of course they will get cash compensation! Why would a reputable boat fitter indulge in this sort of thing? Surely the bad publicity from this could damage their reputation. Or is it a case of any publicity is good?

24 minutes ago, Napton said:

Why would a reputable boat fitter indulge in this sort of thing?

What reputation? ISTR it emerged in another thread they use poured concrete for ballast and rely on integrated mild steel water tanks.

Not how a decent constructor builds a good boat, or a good reputation. 

• 1 month later...

It seems the raffle is over according to FB with a few interesting comments about what the winner got out of it and what Oakums got out of it.

The Friendly Narrowboat And Waterways Group... | Facebook The raffle ends tomorrow evening and it looks as if they only need to sell another 40000 tickets 

Edited by ditchcrawler
Spilling

I believe they sold less than 20% of the tickets required and are offering a prize of £20k now.

Bit of a disaster all round.

Coupled with the fact that every vlog that the owners of their Crick runner up boat do, seems to tell the tale of multiple electrical issues needing to be fixed, they're not having a great time.

Maybe they just churn out boats too often too quickly.

Just now, Andyaero said:

I believe they sold less than 20% of the tickets required and are offering a prize of £20k now.

Coupled with the fact that every vlog that the owners of their Crick runner up boat do, seems to tell the tale of multiple electrical issues needing to be fixed, they're not having a great time.

Not read that blog

15 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

It seems the raffle is over according to FB with a few interesting comments about what the winner got out of it and what Oakums got out of it.

The Friendly Narrowboat And Waterways Group... | Facebook The raffle ends tomorrow evening and it looks as if they only need to sell another 40000 tickets 

Exactly what happened when we bought tickets for a "£3 million house, + car and spending money" but it was something like 400,000 tickets short of target (rather than 40,000)

36 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Commenting got turned off, and now the post has vanished, make of that what you will.

28 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Not read that blog

YouTube vlog ;) 

On 28/04/2023 at 16:03, Andyaero said:

It'd be commercial suicide for them just to say, "sorry didn't sell enough tickets" after what will be a lot of publicity around this. I just can't see them doing that. Maybe I'm the naive one.

They'll be at Crick with a shiney new boat, pushing this for all their worth no doubt.

1376 tickets sold so far.......

In light of the latest information, just a reminder .of how naive one can be .................................

31 minutes ago, Andyaero said:

11 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

In light of the latest information, just a reminder .of how naive one can be .................................

Yeah, I'll take that, just couldn't believe an alledged competent company could be so daft

If you want to try again - here is the latest 'scam' (I use the term loosley)

Win a house in Norfolk | £4,500,000 House | Omaze UK

Get ready to enjoy a life of luxury. Because soon, one lucky winner will be living between stunning coastlines and dreamy countryside in the incredible Norfolk house.

There’s no stamp duty, mortgage or conveyancing fees to pay. And with furnishings included, plus £100,000 in cash, our Grand Prize Winner will be free to move in, rent out or sell-up and walk away a multi-millionaire.

Omaze UK Limited is the owner and promoter of the Norfolk prize draw, the Royal National Lifeboat Institution, commonly known as “RNLI”, being the charitable beneficiary (registered charity no. England and Wales (209603), Scotland (SC037736), the Republic of Ireland (CHY 2678 and 20003326), the Bailiwick of Jersey (14), the Isle of Man (1308 and 006329F) and the Bailiwick of Guernsey and Alderney). 80% of the net proceeds of the draw will go to the RNLI, with Omaze retaining 20%. It is expected that approximately £1,000,000 will be donated to the charity which would mean Omaze retaining £250,000. Irrespective of sales, Omaze will make a minimum donation of £100,000 to the charity. No purchase necessary. The Norfolk House Draw closes on 28th August 2023

1 minute ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Get ready to enjoy a life of luxury. Because soon, one lucky winner will be living between stunning coastlines and dreamy countryside in the incredible Norfolk house.

There’s no stamp duty, mortgage or conveyancing fees to pay. And with furnishings included, plus £100,000 in cash, our Grand Prize Winner will be free to move in, rent out or sell-up and walk away a multi-millionaire.

Omaze UK Limited is the owner and promoter of the Norfolk prize draw, the Royal National Lifeboat Institution, commonly known as “RNLI”, being the charitable beneficiary (registered charity no. England and Wales (209603), Scotland (SC037736), the Republic of Ireland (CHY 2678 and 20003326), the Bailiwick of Jersey (14), the Isle of Man (1308 and 006329F) and the Bailiwick of Guernsey and Alderney). 80% of the net proceeds of the draw will go to the RNLI, with Omaze retaining 20%. It is expected that approximately £1,000,000 will be donated to the charity which would mean Omaze retaining £250,000. Irrespective of sales, Omaze will make a minimum donation of £100,000 to the charity. No purchase necessary. The Norfolk House Draw closes on 28th August 2023

I think there is one every week

42 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Exactly what happened when we bought tickets for a "£3 million house, + car and spending money" but it was something like 400,000 tickets short of target (rather than 40,000)

Are you saying that £5 won't buy me a £3m house or even a £six figure boat?

That is one sophisticated scam!

3 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

According the The Guardian the Omaze house raffles are genuine, and people do win the house:

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2023/apr/04/too-good-to-be-true-what-it-is-really-like-to-win-a-3m-dream-home

On 04/08/2023 at 17:31, Andyaero said:

Yes I’ve seen those vlogs. Seems that this boat has major electrical issues. For an “all electric” boat, they seem to need to run the generator a lot! They’re reporting that the boat fitter is now going to rewire the batteries. I wonder how much experience he has in fitting these electric drive systems? These vlogs don’t do him any favours I fear.

On 04/08/2023 at 18:17, Alan de Enfield said:

Hardly a scam Alan people win a house, we are having a go at the Norfolk house only a few squids and a charity gets some dosh as well

On 04/08/2023 at 17:22, ditchcrawler said:

Interesting given the arithmetic I set out near the start of the thread (Post number 25). In my post I calculated they needed to sell 45,760 tickets to reach the threshold where the boat could be won. 

So if they only need to sell another 40,000, they've sold 5,759 so far.