George ward eviction taking place

kris88

Featured Posts

2 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Didn't Ward claim CRT had removed engine parts he had 'stored' on the towpath?

I think he did, but doesn't Hesperus or Ariel have engine parts 'stored' in the hold?

Alec

Edited by agg221

• 4 months later...

Want to see a tough response ...try the H&M here .....14 days notice ,then a couple of hours notice by police to remove humans, pets ,valuables?? ......and then a 30 ton excavator reduces the boat to pieces that will fit in a hook bin ,and off to landfill..........H&M recently did this to about 30 boats that wernt removed from a  lake/.mooring after written 14 days notice.

• Greenie 1

42 minutes ago, john.k said:

Want to see a tough response ...try the H&M here .....14 days notice ,then a couple of hours notice by police to remove humans, pets ,valuables?? ......and then a 30 ton excavator reduces the boat to pieces that will fit in a hook bin ,and off to landfill..........H&M recently did this to about 30 boats that wernt removed from a  lake/.mooring after written 14 days notice.

What is H & M?

2 hours ago, john.k said:

And they deal with migrant boats too, unlike the UK. I sometimes wish my ancestors had been criminals or had 10 Bob back in the day. 
 I wish CaRT would have the b@ll@cks to deal with problem boaters like this👍

Edited by BoatinglifeupNorth
  • Greenie 2

Indicator of the kind of attitude the CRT are faced with 

https://kanda.boatingcommunity.org.uk/crt-threaten-to-remove-boaters-possessions-from-towpath-between-avoncliff-and-bridge-173-in-april/#more-7592

This article is about boat owners wanting to uphold their perceived right to pile random shite on CRT land if it does not block the path. 

Trouble there. Get rid of these ones. 

• Greenie 2

We have a growing village at Eastwood visitors moorings, visitors can no longer fit on them! The problem is electric bollards, toilets, elsans disposal and showers are there not that some use them! Passing boats are starting to complain about it as they cant moor whilst waiting for the Tinsley flight rush, so how long before they move them? The worst offenders have been there nearly 2 years! A recent arrival was from the K & A says it all really 

• Greenie 1
  • Sad 2

4 hours ago, MrsM said:

Interesting I didn't know ........................

“The Canal Trust, which is run by mostly volunteers, have tried to make the canal between BoA and Avoncliff a pleasant environment.

• Greenie 1

14 minutes ago, magnetman said:

Very well paid volunteers. 

This is the kind of misinformation which could cause problems. 

It's a interesting idea actually. Sack all the staff and run it entirely on canal enthusiast volunteer labour. Save the trust a fortune.

Mind you I don't think I'd volunteer to do Parry's job! 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

But is it run 'mostly by volunteers' or run 'by mostly volunteers' ?

Maybe they have discovered Mr Parry, the head honcho who 'runs' CRT, "mostly volunteers" nowadays instead of being a full time employee.

Seems unlikely. 

15 minutes ago, MtB said:

It's a interesting idea actually. Sack all the staff and run it entirely on canal enthusiast volunteer labour. Save the trust a fortune.

Mind you I don't think I'd volunteer to do Parry's job! 

Yes it is an interesting idea. My mum did volunteer work in a cheery tea shop for a short time. I found it a curious principle that she was doing free work for someone else who was being paid ie the shop manager. 

Doesn't quite add up. 

• Greenie 1

49 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Interesting I didn't know ........................

“The Canal Trust, which is run by mostly volunteers, have tried to make the canal between BoA and Avoncliff a pleasant environment.

https://katrust.org.uk/

Which one?  

Canal and River Trust or Kennet and Avon Canal Trust?

• Greenie 1

I noticed they said Canal Trust but assumed it was the CRT

Well spotted !

It would be quite interesting if the CRT did contract out the work of tidying the area to a local canal trust. 

They may just mean volunteer litter pickers. 

I have mixed views about the positive aspects of this. It seems to me to be encouraging littering. 

23 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

https://katrust.org.uk/

Which one?  

Canal and River Trust or Kennet and Avon Canal Trust?

Yes good spot. 

When I visited Crofton Pumping Station the other day, the nice lady on the till asked me if I was a member of the canal trust. The question mashed my mind for a second or two as I tried to work out if, as a customer of CRT I was also a "member" of CRT. I think I replied I didn't think membership of CRT was possible so probably not, even though I had boats and moorings. She laughed and faintly disdainfully said "Oh this is a common misunderstanding, we are nothing to do with them. We are the K&A Trust."

I expect the reporter concerned made the same mistake, and I suspect it is the K&A Trust who are doing all the practical work of clearing up the towpath. 

27 minutes ago, magnetman said:

I noticed they said Canal Trust but assumed it was the CRT

Well spotted !

It would be quite interesting if the CRT did contract out the work of tidying the area to a local canal trust. 

They may just mean volunteer litter pickers. 

I have mixed views about the positive aspects of this. It seems to me to be encouraging littering. 

I've a feeling that the less litter there is to start with, the less likely littering becomes. If a place is filthy with litter, perhaps Joe Average will say to himself (consciously or unconciously) "my extra little bit of litter won't make any difference".

But it does, of course.

I reckon if it becomes known that there is someone collecting litter then certain people will drop their litter where they may not have done otherwise. 

Littering is an interesting societal problem. Its not all that easy to sort it out. 

I advocate a 'all drop your litter day' where everyone is instructed to do this in public areas. A celebration of the art of littering. 

I suppose i am a bit jaded by spending time in inner east London where littering is a way of life for some people. 

Berkshire is much nicer but not immune. 

I can only respond to what is printed .........................

Canal and River Trust praised for tough crackdown on 'boaters camps'

In April the trust, which manages over 2,000 miles of Britain’s inland waterways and canals, launched a crackdown on unlicensed canal boats as well as 'camps' that had sprung up alongside the path.

The Trust said: “Some long-standing and complex cases near to Bradford on Avon have recently reached a conclusion, but the Trust faces similar challenges locally and elsewhere on its 2,000 mile network.

"Canal & River Trust always try to resolve licence issues and challenge boater behaviour which negatively impacts other waterway and towpath users.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

12 minutes ago, magnetman said:

I reckon if it becomes known that there is someone collecting litter then certain people will drop their litter where they may not have done otherwise. 

Littering is an interesting societal problem. Its not all that easy to sort it out. 

I advocate a 'all drop your litter day' where everyone is instructed to do this in public areas. A celebration of the art of littering. 

I suppose i am a bit jaded by spending time in inner east London where littering is a way of life for some people. 

Berkshire is much nicer but not immune. 

I've seen the amounts of litter that the Friends of Grand Union Canal volunteers pick up round here, and it's *staggering* -- and hats off to them for doing it.

For sure the towpath looks a lot better after they've been along, of course it's like painting the Forth bridge and it does fill back up again.

But I'm absolutely certain it would look a *lot* worse if they *didn't* do it... 😉

Edited by IanD

28 minutes ago, MtB said:

I expect the reporter concerned made the same mistake, and I suspect it is the K&A Trust who are doing all the practical work of clearing up the towpath. 

Actually reading it again, that's a vox pop quote from a random local. 

Maybe CRT need more blue signs in the area ... 😁